SITE REVIEW: Free Stuff (Redesigned)

• pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have old website. I have completely redesigned it with new domain. So, looking for reviews on it.
Here's is details:
Free stuff for you
http://freecl.com/

Also, please review the forum on it. I am using phpbb for it.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

pclovers,
I like the site layout. Everything is well arranged, but I am struggling a little with the color scheme and the ads on the left. I cant decide if the color scheme is to muted or not. Because of the soft colors it is easy on the eyes but it also is a little boring. The ads are very distracting as well on the first page. I dont mind them being the most important thing on the page (if that is how you want them to be), but they shouldn't be distracting.

What feedback did you want on the forums? Aren't you just using a stock template? I like the template you used but it doesn't look anything like your site.

Hope this helps
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Simple design that works. My only suggestion is that you change the link colour (or underline it) so that it is easier to distinguish links from normal text.
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you, findme,CXLink,casablanca for suggestions.
I am working on it.
Regarding forum, I will try to develop template like website.
  • jerusalemstyle
  • jerusalemstyle

Post 3+ Months Ago

The color is too light.. You should put more darker color, and it will be cool to add somes Icons..
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the simplicity of the site design, but as always, there are a few things I frown upon in that site design.

First of all, as mentioned before me by casablanca, the links should be somehow distinguishable between the normal text of the site: either a different color, underlined... something to make it obvious that it is a link.

Secondly, the unique visitor counter is outdated. You simply don't need it.

Thirdly, you need to either fill in the right-most column (titled "Interesting Sites") or remove the box. An empty box is not interesting ;)

Fourthly, chat speak on a site doesn't make the site look/seem/feel professional. I don't know if you mean it like that, but the site doesn't seem professional when you use chat speak. I'm referring to "Hi.. if u r having any shopping inftm.. post in fatchex....".

By the way, what does 'inftm' mean? Information? I don't use that language and some people would have trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

I think you need some kind of a logo there to give your site an identity. I know OZZU doesn't have one, but it used to... ... ...

Maybe you should skin the forum a little bit? Make it look more like your site rather then phpBB's forum?

Stuff is plural by itself... there is no need to make it plural by adding an 's' to it. (stuffs ... Maybe there's some grammatical rule I'm not aware of...).

And in that page (downloads.php), you have a section saying (HTML Template)... Please change that to (HTML Templates). That needs to be plural.

If I try to click on a search result after searching for something (for instance 'Red'), instead of opening the page, the browser is attempting to download the page, which I don't want it to do.

My browser I use is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11

In some of your articles, you have character issues... like http://freecl.com/readarticle.php?article_id=13675 for instance. I see some â, €, , etc. I don't think that is what you mean us to see.

I would also add that the guestbook is also outdated. You simply don't need that. In my view, it removes the professionalism from the site even more.

You also need to put more images into the site... like icons or something. It is a little of a bore (Kind of like my site :lol: )

It would also be nice if we could view the HTML Templates before downloading them. (Like a link that says 'View' and when we click it the template's Index page is shown.)

That's about all I've got. I hope I didn't discourage you :D
  • kbdavis07
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: West Virgina

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://freecl.com/

This Account Has Been Suspended
Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it's back on line today.

You need a section "boats" :mrgreen:

ditto about doing some kind of escaping of characters, I get a lot of
Quote:
They are everywhere – Chihuahua puppies…

I'm contra Bogey on the links issue. They do underline on mouseover, which to me is fine. Obviously, links in paragraph of text need some distinguishing feature.

I'm also contra the thing about the counter and the guestbook; I find stuff like that pleasantly nostaligic. We don't all have to conform to the latest fad and throw all our old clothes in the garbage...I would actually get rid of the forum and invite people to use the guestbook as a forum (maybe a "running comments" page), so you'd have a busy looking guestbook instead of an empty looking forum.
  • kbdavis07
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: West Virgina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello pclovers,

Looks like the site is up now :)

Looks wise the website looks great.

You need more of a footer with content. Like a current copyright year.

Copyright © 2009 freecl.com | All Rights Reserved

Design by [Who Design it]

Bare min

Content wise it actually needs more "Free" Stuff :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

//do not spam your site in your reviews.
Moderator Remark: Removed spam content
  • seularts
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love it, simple, right to the point, a little bit bold but looks great:)
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I have done modification as per your suggestion, plesae have a look once more.
  • 995sunglasses
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everyone likes free stuff, so to attract people I think you need a custom theme which really you don't have here, I kinda don't like the colors cause it looks too much like an edited forum script. If your going to give free stuff away, I would create my own theme and possibly in this case switch to a wordpress theme. Some work on the colors and logo also would be a good idea.
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have modified theme and use some green and yellow colors. See, if that's seem good or not.
  • Phoenix_Sky
  • Loc: Western Cape, South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there

I reviewed your site and my first impression is that the colour scheme used through out your site actually hurts my eyes. The colour is too light and it protrays a "immature" image over all to your site.

Secondly, a 1000 other websites supply the same service as your site. You need to do something extra special to keep the browser's attention. At the moment, again in my opinion, I could not wait to get out of there.

Thirdly, try and do something about your header image - it occupies to much space and is not set up right with the navigation bar.

Sorry my review is not any more positive and good luck with your future.

Regards,
Yours in Design,
Phoenix Sky Designs
  • ashly211
  • Born
  • Born
  • ashly211

Post 3+ Months Ago

This site definitely appeals to the average person because the layout
is so simple but very VERY effective. It is a clean site with a
flawless look, and someone without any technical background would
definitely appreciate it. The layout makes anyone feel comfortable
because it is so well done and clean looking. You feel as if you are
in good hands and you know that you will be able to find anything you
need on this site.
  • lup0

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,

a nice site you got there! :) but a few suggestions from me..

tell me. is your site directed to kids especially? 'cause that "citrus fruit" color scheme is VERY appealing to kids. but for a generic purpose you might want to change it to a uniform one (like dark blue aura on facebook).

the 5 ad pics on the right look like one image. i guess you might want to separate them a bit.

also why not provide a search box so that users may search for keywords of their favourite downloads.

and the marquee (its a marquee aint it?!) ruins the appearance of the page. marquees are out-of-date anyway. you might want to replace it with flash animation (if that's too much.. then use a gif animation).

among the things i like about the site are: the logo (attractive!), the facebook plugin and the articles feature.

good work :iconthumbleft:

lup0
  • JonsonL
  • JonsonL

Post 3+ Months Ago

My 1st impression is that your logo is taking up too much space and rather intimidating to 1st visits. Overall the site is well layout and structured, pretty easy to navigate your site. Colors are just light enough and pretty unique too, I've never seen such color combination but it works well on your site.

Just to suggest that maybe you would like to refine your logo abit.
  • j1mb0jay
  • Born
  • Born
  • j1mb0jay

Post 3+ Months Ago

The masthead is far to light coloured for my liking. Also the scrolling text stops me focusing on your content
  • capse
  • capse

Post 3+ Months Ago

hhmm i am taking a serious look at this and the metal bg does not look half bad and i can not figure out what is behind the text but looks good. Now the sides of the text i looked at the dark sections and i find it nice work on the edges there(i can not think of word for the edge work there lol).

As a working progress it shows some talent so when your done, post up the finial work i would love to see it.

Nice work so far mate
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

capse wrote:
hhmm i am taking a serious look at this and the metal bg does not look half bad and i can not figure out what is behind the text but looks good. Now the sides of the text i looked at the dark sections and i find it nice work on the edges there(i can not think of word for the edge work there lol).

As a working progress it shows some talent so when your done, post up the finial work i would love to see it.

Nice work so far mate

You are kidding, don't you?

website-reviews/site-review-portfolio-arman-khan-t106427.html#p589522
  • Longclark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Longclark

Post 81 days ago

Hi! pclovers just now visited your website. It is really mind blowing and outstanding on seeing the design. It is the ever best website which i have seen so far. Please try to design more websites like this really very attractive website.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers