SITE REVIEW: Fuses FuseOne.com

• ProgramMax
  • ProgramMax

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is for selling fuses.

I know that the design is hurting. I am having a hard time convinsing my boss to let me change it. This is the design we started with (when just trying to get a website up) and he is afraid a new design means it would be hard for customers who are familiar with the site to get around.

I would appreciate all advise, but if you could offer suggestions about SEO or layout I would be more intregued.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the fact your selling fuses I think the site goes along with the design :D Its bland but hey your selling fuses :idea: Now I know this definition
Quote:
FUSE - The verb "fuse" means "to melt". A fuse is an overcurrent responsive safety device used to protect an electrical circuit from the effects of excessive current. It is placed in series with the electrical circuit it is intended to protect. Its essential component is a strip of metal that will melt when the electric current in the circuit exceeds the fuses rated value. The element (link) in the fuse melts and opens the circuit.
lol ok just kidding around... the barebones of the site is navigational. I've seen sites with horrible navigation and I'd be lost and clicking that little X in the upper right corner. There's nothing to see as far as graphics, so how about adding some photos of fuses on the main page, just something simple. I'm guessing the goal of this site is just to sell something and nothing fancy so this is all right. The navigation for fuses seems simple enough but no pic for each item i've looked up. The shopping cart is functionable and seems to work well. My fuseology is not up to any knowledge in your products but if I needed one I'd probably get one from you... 8)

6-10
good/simple design/easy in and out the door service without advertisements

laters
:arrow: SycomCOmp :idea:
  • ProgramMax
  • ProgramMax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your help.
I just finished writing the code for an image to appear there...I'm taking pictures now. We have thousands of fuses to taking pictures is taking time.

I'm actually suprised that you were able to navigate easily. My main concern is that the most important links in our site were perhaps also the most hidden.

I am scared that the design has those itty bitty images which are easy to skip. I don't want potential customers to say "How do I order?"

I am considering drastically changing the main page so that there will be some news or...well ANYTHING that is dynamic. I want something that changes and is interesting. Something where people see it and think "They are active." Also I heard google likes seeing changes on the main page.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help!
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm lets see...

The top right navigational links need a different font. I would put them in verdana or arial font to make them look more pleasing to the eye and professional.

Infact, it looks like most of your fonts are time new roman. Use a CSS and make your fonts arial.

WOW, i was viewing you source code and just got a headache. You might want to organize that coding instead of typing continuous codes in lines. It will be easy to edit your pages later down the line if you have your code organized and marked.

You deffinetly need some pictures to spice up your page. From browsing you links I can tell you there is deffintely too much plain text and empty white space.

On your online inventory page, you might want to alphabetize (sp?) the manufacturers list to make it easier to find a specific company.

I don't know if you need a specific page designated just for a search. Maybe you can add the search box to all of your pages?

You need to hyperlink your "fuseone" logo to direct back to your home page ("/")

Site needs some work but deff. has potential, good job so far. Keep us updated.

P.S. - What shopping cart software are you running?
  • ProgramMax
  • ProgramMax

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll check into using a different font for navigation (and in general I guess).

The HTML is terribly difficult to read if you view it. I have the ASP buffering all of the to-be-outputted HTML without spaces or anything. When I view the ASP code it is fine and easy to read...just when it is sent to the browser there is very little white space.

I agree on the pictures. I'll look into it.

Alphabetize the manufacturers. Sounds good...we actually avoided that at first and put the largest manufacturers first, but I agree that it should be alphabetized.

Search box on all pages? Hrmm might not be a bad idea...infact the more I think about it, the better it sounds.

Logo links back to homepage...brilliant idea...can't believe I didn't do that. (I normally do that first)

All the software in that site is hand-coded by me. Are you interested in buying some ASP shopping cart code or something?
  • ProgramMax
  • ProgramMax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last time I checked in I had this list of things to do:
- Add fuse pictures to home page
- Change navigation to text (instead of images of text)
- Make that nav text verdana or arial (was Impact...hard to read)
- Use CSS to make fonts arial
- I have too much plain text and empty white space...make more interesting
- Alphabetize the manufacturers list
- Possibly add the search box to all pages
- link logo to home page

I also read somewhere that it would be wise to have a site map page. Right now our links aren't very well managed (A link to Fuseology in the main navigation?) so I might hit two birds with one stone on that...make a site map page & correct link organization.

Anyway, I've changed the nav to text with the specific fonts specified in CSS. I wondered if your comment "use CSS to make fonts arial" meant the entire site or just the nav. I've also made the logo link to the home page.

Next to come will be the alphabetize list and maybe the search box.

I have a lot of redesigning to do to get things like pictures and getting rid of white space. Actually I plan to add some sort of news system to the home page. I heard that frequent change on the home page makes googlebot happy.

Anyway I really appreciate all of your help.
  • phatgalaxy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • phatgalaxy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey man.. have u tried DHTML navbars. I think those would compliment your site a lot.. google DHTML u'll get a few sites. Remember content should outweigh html, having said that id say your in the right track. I do like the site design. Perhaps flash?
  • frans26
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Close to Lao

Post 3+ Months Ago

like your site; lots of info :D
Plain and simple, just the way I like it,
You might however want to add some pix to your first page to visually make it a little more attractive and/or use a different (smaller) font for the text.

I also noted that your pages load <u>very</u> slowly (but that could be cuz I'm in China now)

Would rate your site 8/10

Frans.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers