SITE REVIEW: Future Corps

• futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Birmingham England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

I am working on a new website.

I would like to know what you think of the layout, menu and everything else!

At the moment, i only have one page uploaded but that is the basic page that all others will be based on.

http://www.futurecorps.net/00.htm

Thanks 8)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think there's a certain imbalance to your design. In my browser, IE6, there's a substantial gap between the menu and the body text, but on the other side the text runs right up to the edge, minus 2 or 3 pixels.

The highlights on the paragraph titles make me feel like I have text selected. That's feels awkward to me.

I think you've got too much text on this page. Perhaps some of the section could be cut down to a couple sentences and then linked to the remainder in a sub page.

The drop down menus add a bit of pizazz to the page, but they're a little sluggish. You might consider not making them quite so heavy by not having the transparency, the fade effect and/or the background.

I think having every bit of text on the page bolded defeats the purpose of having bold text, personally.

Those are my thoughts. I hope you find them useful. I know this all seems very critical. Don't get the wrong idea, I think you've done a fine job.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design is nice, but the font is killing my eyes(Bold), specially that the font is behind the white background.

Good Luck
  • xNiVxLaCx
  • Born
  • Born
  • xNiVxLaCx

Post 3+ Months Ago

thaz some tite stuff...how'd u do that menu scroll down thingy...i looked for scripts online n i found some...but none worked=(...so hook me up
  • LordArnell
  • LordArnell
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I does look like some of the text has been selected, but the background is screwing aroud with my eyes, there a lot of text, which could be more suited to dynamically expanding text boxes. In other words, they click on a title and a text box appears with the relavent text. Also the text is far too detailed for a home page, and a mere summary of each point is needed with links to more info as nessecary.
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right then, thought i'd reply to some of you.

LordArnell

It's very easy to judge something when it's already been judged... How about not reading any reviews of my site then reviewing it. I bet you don't come back with the same remarks... it's hard to get a real honest opinion when people are influenced by others, anyways...

There is a lot of text on that page because it is one of the Interview pages on my site, it's NOT the home page! I don't understand when people say that there's too much text of the screen... i mean, if you was reviewing a book, you don't come back and say that there was too much text one of of the pages!! It's an interview, i asked the guys to write as much as possible, so they did! I understand that there can be too much text on a page when there's no order to it...

What you say is a good idea for the home page though... i'll have to remember that one! Not that i know how to do it :-/

Thanks for your review!

digitalMedia

Right, you come across as being rude and sarcastic. Now and when you stopped my post!

However, it's quite hard to get a real view of someone by just typing a few words...

You do make some good points but don't say anything good about my site...

The page is not finished. The name of the person that is interviewed needs to go up so that will change the look of it. I do need to fix the text on the right hand side... does look unbalanced i agree

As for the bold text, i understand what you mean. It doesn't hurt my eyes or cause problems... Might do for others though, i'll change it to normal.

The menu looks very good IMO. If i took away the shadow, pic or trans' then there wouldn't be much to it really. I wanted to do something that was not the norm! might be a tad squashed though.

The selected text look is just that! It's to high-light the text!! I dont think theres anything wrong with that look.

I'll let you know when my site is finished and maybe you can review the changes.

Thanks for taking the time to review my page and i will take in what you all have said.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The menu looks very good

I'm sorry but the menu does not look good. It's badly written. My computer runs on 2.2Ghz with a gig of RAM (not bad performance) and it glitches and runs slow.
I just checked out the code and it's huge!! You really need to find yourself a leaner meaner script, write one yourself, or create one in flash.

Additionally, this menu does not even appear in netscape. I guess this is a lazy write around for the alpha. Again, get a better script.

For the rest of the site:

background is ok, but when I scroll the graininess messes with my eyes, maybe fix it in place, so it doesn't move with the page, or replace it with solid colour.

The left hand side, I personally feel that the menu should be either half on-half of the page (rather than 10% on) OR the margin between text and menu smaller. The white space looks/feels like a mistake to me (i know its not but it gives me that impression).
At the same time I would adjust the margin on the other side, because although the asymmetry looks nice, there should still be a small amount of white between the edge of the page and the text.

I found it strange that the "shadow" on the page goes down and to the right, on the links it goes up and to the left. (this does not display at all on netscape - i assume it is a filter effect?).

I also was annoyed by this:
looks a bit messy to me.
//"this" being the top left corner of the graphical title, where it appears to have a random bevel

Other than that, bold text, highlighted titles etc.

All in all quite nice. A few tweaks here and there and you're sorted :)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just looked back and saw this:

futurebuzz wrote:
I don't understand when people say that there's too much text of the screen...

The reason people say this is because studies show that, on average, only 15-20% of the time do people actually scroll down to see what is beyond the bottom of the screen. You go beyond the bottom of the screen then less people will read it.

If you had one page with an index of interviews, people would be more inclined to look.
  • LordArnell
  • LordArnell
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was picking up on other peoples comments but that one about the selected text was the only comment that I read when i scanned the page.

And as for it being a lot of text on the page, sorry but you didn't make it clear that it was or wasn't a home page. I see your statement is fair. When i scanned the page, i seemed like it was the homepage.

And as for the text moving, that can be done with a bit of DHTML and Javascript.
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

To rtm223

Some interesting points, welldone! but...

IMO the menu does look good, it might not be well written, but that is something that i know nothing about. I used a program called SOTHINK to create it. I wish i knew how to make a script and to use flash also but you have to cope with the time scale on your hands.

If you use the menu in the right way, ie. mouse over, wait... scroll vertically down... mouse over etc etc... then there is nothing slow about the menu. If you scroll horizontally over the top of the menu (future corps Media...) then it is very slow, but that is not using the menu, that is picking up on faults and trying to be clever! :evil:

I agree with the bg. Could cause ya eyes to hurt... btw, i wrote the site in 800x600. Using that, there aint that much of the bg.

The menu on the left is cool i think. It is not a mistake at all. The main table has a shadow going down and to the right like you say. The menu has the opposite. There are two ways of looking at it. it either pops out at you or the table pops out at you (if you know what i mean). Using the shadow as the opposite to the table shadow creates a 3D effect. I suppose it depends on if you want it to be viewed that way and/or if you're trying to pick faults etc... As for not displaying in Netscape, well i haven't used that so i don't know but as far as the statistics for my site are concerned, 93% of people use internet explorer. If i was creating as site for my business then i would consider making it work in all browsers. Also, it is a filter effect. You seem to know your stuff :)

I agree that the text on the page needs moving to make the sides even.

""I also was annoyed by this:

looks a bit messy to me.
//"this" being the top left corner of the graphical title, where it appears to have a random bevel""
I dont understand what you mean there...

Anyways, thanks for taking the time out to review my site... well, one page! 8)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

futurebuzz wrote:
digitalMedia

Right, you come across as being rude and sarcastic. Now and when you stopped my post!

I'm sorry you interpreted my review this way. I try to provide people with comments that are to the point and honest based on my experience. When I ask someone to review my work I hope and expect these types of comments.

As for locking your thread, I used a template that all the moderators of the Review sections use. By the way, I also took the time to monitor your efforts to comply with the rules and then unlocked your thread without any prompting, so your thread could get active as soon as possible.

I wish you only the best of luck, and again I'm sorry you interpreted my comments as you did.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i checked the site...
and i read what DM put, what he written was perfectly acceptable.
he locked the thread because you obviously didn't comply with the rules.

C&C
for some reason where you have all of your text there seems to be a lot of white left over, like DM said.

the banner/navigation is pushed to the right....why?
it would look better central or to the left.

in mozilla the shadow does not show up around the navigation, the header/navigation has a sort of transparent box around it...
like a mozilla table border. Not sure why tho

I would recommend making the text more legible, i found myself reading 1 line and getting sidetracked and missing a few.
make the font bigger or change the font.
perhaps taking the bold off would help as well.

everyone has said that you should split the text up, i totally agree with them.
it is too cluttered and puts me off, and will other people.

The navigation at the top also stuttered on my computer as well, and i am using a p4 3.0ghz with 512mb Ram
now i have a fast computer and the code made it stutter, not sure if it because of computer speed or cable.
but i am on 600k cable, so that is more than enough.

a flash menu like that would be very very simple to make, and would not take long.
try downloading the flash demo, or swish.

that is my C&C

use as you wish
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo

Some very good points!

The banner nav IMO looked better on the right. I have tried it on the left and central and it don't look as good. I'll mess around with it again... It might be because i've looked at it for that long on the right that it seems odd on the left or central.

Again, i used ie to preview my site. I am an amateur to be honest. I know nothing about Netscape or mozilla. I would like to learn more. However, 93% of people viewing my site use ie.

Thats a good point you make about the text. I will change something in the second lines to make it easier to read.

In what ways should i split the text up? I don't follow... Can you give me some ideas please.

No word of a lie, the menu works fine on my PC. It's smooth and doesn't jutter at all... I have the same spec PC as you too. I will try it at work tomorrow and ask other people to try it. Maybe if i take the jpg out of it, it might work better.

Thanks for taking the time to review my site, i respect everyones opinions!

:)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i mean split the text up i mean make them easier to handle chunks...

perhaps putting them into managable tables, using paragraphs more.....

hehe, this is harder than i thought...

you could even have each interview open in its own window, and on that page have like a table of contents, linking to each interview..

this would break it up more

even adding some images would help
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some info you may find handy:

ok netscape and mozzilla are alternatives to internet explorer. IE tends to not display things properly (as defined by the w3c (http://www.w3.org/). Netscape, mozilla, firefox etc all do a better job of displaying stuff properly.

As you start getting used to designing, you will find that you spend a good long while trying to make your page display properly in all browsers. It is worth getting a copy of one of the other browsers to have a look and compare. BTW your site is very close to looking the same in both IE and netscape :) The top menu is missing (which I believe is deliberate) :lol:

If you want a copy of netscape, or mozzilla or firefox go to google and type in the names!! They should come up on number one spot.

If you want a really good place to learn, http://www.w3schools.com/. I learned from webmonkey but I think w3schools are better.

The single most useful thing that you can learn is how to effectively use CSS.

Just so this post isn't completely off-topic, I say keep the right-aligned menu, people tend not to put stuff the "wrong" way round so its nice to see something different.
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i just downloaded Netscape and Mozilla and my site looks sh!te. The shadow on the table and the left menu are not visible as people told me. The main menu is not visible too... Also that .jpg banner thingy looks pants, in IE it looks as i want it to... clear!

Not sure what i want to do at this stage, it takes a long time to design a big site and i don't have the time to make it compatible with all browsers. I'll just have to warn people before they enter... "This site is optimized for IE etc etc". In the future, i need to watch for the popularity of other browsers and adjust my site accordingly.

I am becoming more aware of the use of CSS. Here is what is on my external CSS at the mo...

Code: [ Select ]
BODY {background-image:url('4.jpg'); background-repeat:repeat }

.class90

td { background-image: url('90.jpg');
   background-position: 20px 10px }

.class91

td { background-image: url('4.jpg');
   background-position: 20px 10px }

body {scrollbar-arrow-color: fffff0;
scrollbar-base-color:000066;
scrollbar-dark-shadow-color: fffff0;
scrollbar-track-color: 000066;
scrollbar-face-color: 000000;
scrollbar-shadow-color:fffff0;
scrollbar-highlight-color: fffff0;
scrollbar-3d-light-color: fffff0;
}

.class1 A:link {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
.class1 A:visited {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
.class1 A:hover {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
.class1 A:active {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}

.class2 A:link {text-decoration: none; color:#fffff0}
.class2 A:visited {text-decoration: none; color:#fffff0}
.class2 A:hover {text-decoration: none; color:#fffff0}
.class2 A:active {text-decoration: none; color:#fffff0}

.class3 A:link { text-decoration: underline overline;color:#000000}
.class3 A:visited { text-decoration: underline overline; color:#000000}
.class3 A:hover { text-decoration: underline overline; color:#000000}
.class3 A:active {text-decoration: underline overline; color:#000000}

.text {

font-size: 16px;

font-weight: bold;

color:#fffff0;

position: absolute;

left: 16px;

top: 76px;

z-index: 2

}

.shadow {

font-size: 16px;

U

font-weight: bold;

color:#000000;

position: absolute;

left: 18px;

top: 78px;

z-index: 1

}
  1. BODY {background-image:url('4.jpg'); background-repeat:repeat }
  2. .class90
  3. td { background-image: url('90.jpg');
  4.    background-position: 20px 10px }
  6. .class91
  7. td { background-image: url('4.jpg');
  8.    background-position: 20px 10px }
  9. body {scrollbar-arrow-color: fffff0;
  10. scrollbar-base-color:000066;
  11. scrollbar-dark-shadow-color: fffff0;
  12. scrollbar-track-color: 000066;
  13. scrollbar-face-color: 000000;
  14. scrollbar-shadow-color:fffff0;
  15. scrollbar-highlight-color: fffff0;
  16. scrollbar-3d-light-color: fffff0;
  17. }
  18. .class1 A:link {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
  19. .class1 A:visited {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
  20. .class1 A:hover {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
  21. .class1 A:active {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
  22. .class2 A:link {text-decoration: none; color:#fffff0}
  23. .class2 A:visited {text-decoration: none; color:#fffff0}
  24. .class2 A:hover {text-decoration: none; color:#fffff0}
  25. .class2 A:active {text-decoration: none; color:#fffff0}
  26. .class3 A:link { text-decoration: underline overline;color:#000000}
  27. .class3 A:visited { text-decoration: underline overline; color:#000000}
  28. .class3 A:hover { text-decoration: underline overline; color:#000000}
  29. .class3 A:active {text-decoration: underline overline; color:#000000}
  30. .text {
  31. font-size: 16px;
  32. font-weight: bold;
  33. color:#fffff0;
  34. position: absolute;
  35. left: 16px;
  36. top: 76px;
  37. z-index: 2
  38. }
  39. .shadow {
  40. font-size: 16px;
  41. U
  42. font-weight: bold;
  43. color:#000000;
  44. position: absolute;
  45. left: 18px;
  46. top: 78px;
  47. z-index: 1
  48. }

I don't know if the code is correct, i know if works in IE, not sure about the other browsers.

I want to learn as much as possible with CSS.

I have done some basic changes to the page now. Including the central menu lol... It dont look that bad after all. There are just so many endless options.

Again, thanks for your knowledge and time!

Whats the URL to your site/s?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

*you should edit your post and put all code in the (code) (/code) tags*

(replace the "()" with "[]" )
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yar mods don't like it otherwise!

um, this is the results of validating the sites CSS:

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.futurecorps.net%2F00.htm+&warning=2&profile=css2&usermedium=all

Sadly there are a lot of errors! Please don't let this put you off though, only about 5% of websites (if that) properly validate!

I don't have the time to go through and have a look at it, but at a glance I would say that 90% of the errors are lack of units for lengths. Where you have 2top:100", for example, change to "top:10px" (px for pixels).

I would also advise you to name your classes more "usefully". Class1 class2 and class3 are pretty useless if you come back to this after 6 months and wish to edit and understand it. Give stuff names.

The shadows don't work because they are filters (I think). Filters ONLY ever work in IE. The menu is dissappeared because the fade/alpha effect will not work in those browsers, the author has prevented this error by not creating the menu. This is known as a "write around"

I would not say that it looks awful. Everything is in the right place and nothing has moved out of place (which really does become a problem). If someone came to your site using mozilla they would not notice that there was anything wrong.

Do not worry yourself toooo much over the conformity to the validation at the moment. I can see you getting all worried but don't. Put it onto your to-do list, and just keep it mind.

The site does not look awful in Netscape.
  • charmed_male
  • charmed_male

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice site....
  • arashsami
  • Born
  • Born
  • arashsami
  • Loc: Iran

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its what I got: The page cannot be displayed :(
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223

At this stage, i'm not too worried about the correct CSS coding. It would be great to get it perfect but as long as people can enjoy what i've done then the CSS codes are OK.

Changing the class names is something that i am aware of. You are right, it will become a nightmare in a few months time and i've forgoten all... I only started using and learning about CSS in the last month or so. That's why the names are not what they should be. It won't take long to change them all at this early stage! Good TIP though!

As for the other browsers, the filters won't be a problem but the menu obviously will be. I'll mess around with it and see what works best.

:wink:

To charmed_male, Get a life!
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

To use the true power of CSS, allow your CSS to Cascade! Here's some advice:

Turn this:

BODY {background-image:url('4.jpg'); background-repeat:repeat }

Into this:

body{background:url(4.jpg);}
*note: this might be wrong. But use of the background: as shorthand is recommended. It can pack a lot of punch and cut your code drastically.
  1. body{background:url(4.jpg);}
  2. *note: this might be wrong. But use of the background: as shorthand is recommended. It can pack a lot of punch and cut your code drastically.

There's no need for the "repeat:repeat" since that's the default.

Turn this:
.class1 A:link {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
.class1 A:visited {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
.class1 A:hover {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
.class1 A:active {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
  1. .class1 A:link {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
  2. .class1 A:visited {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
  3. .class1 A:hover {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}
  4. .class1 A:active {text-decoration: none; color:#990033}

Into this:
.class1 a{text-decoration:none; color:#903;}

The three digit code for color is shorthand. If you've got repeating digits, you can cut them in thirds. For example, #ffffff becomes #fff, #ccaadd becomes #cad. Etc. There's no need for :visited, :hover, or :active. use a{} and you're set.

Same goes for your css in class2 and 3. Somebody correct me if I've stated any incorrect information.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

just a suggestion, ive been told that when people are looking for something on the web, and they link over to a page with basically, just text on it they get scared off... you might want to consider making a more "visually pleasing" main page...
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the latest replies!

gsv2com

Some very good tips, thanks! I have changed some of the code but still need to work on perfecting it in the near future. Thanks again!

Calendae

Good tip also, but that page is not the main home page. It is an interview page. Cheers for the advice though!

Some updates on the page are that i have created it with css now. I know the code might not be correct, probably far from it but it's my first attempt at doing the css thang :roll: I now know why people rave on about css.... and it aint that hard once you get the hang of it...
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

the menu is starting to glitch / stutter or whatever! Might get-rid of the fade effect. Seems to be slowing things down. The image might be doing that too.

It was working great the other day. Man... i don't understand these PC's :evil:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers