SITE REVIEW: futurecorps.net

• futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Birmingham England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I'd like my home page reviewed please.

Not finished: text in scroll bars on the left. Content in the blue spaces to the bottom and left of the page... Also, links need to go in the text on the main area.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should provide a link so that people dont have to copy and paste your subject :D

and i just looked at your site and it says that "this site is currently offline, please come back at a later date"
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops: It would help wouldn't it!

http://www.futurecorps.net/Home_Page.htm
  • massfrequency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

the navigation is unique.. I've never seen button styles like the ones you have on the left column. I would get rid of the background you have behind the text.

Other suggestions:
- Add color or colour (depending where you're from), to the site, I see too much blue there
- Align the page to the center instead of the left (for us 1024x768 ppl)
- Add a logo of some kind, you can't have a club or organization without a logo
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, i was just messing around and came up with the buttons on the left. I wanted to do something that was different. Was a bit worried about them to be honest... They don't work in mozilla :-( (the scroll)

What background do you mean? Behind the text in the menu?

I think you're right about the too much blue on the page. Although in 800x600 you cant see that much. I will think of something...

I have been trying to align the page to the center but i don't know how. I am very new to CSS.

I have been thinking about inserting a logo. I aint happy with any i've created to date... I agree though!

Thanks again

BTW your site is stunning!
  • Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

seems nice..
But i don't like the txt bg like massfrequency said.
the bg in your navigation.

and i think the most simple way to center everything is to put everything in a frame.. and just with width="800" align=center or something. works fine.

Have Fun
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like subtle text background images, looks nice to me. It's definately starting to shape up and i shouldn't worry about the buttons, mozilla users won't even know about it lol.

Well done on the css layout, most people are to scared to take those first steps. centering is fairly easy with css, but if you need to position absolutely as well....

It's do-able, but I think it might has some browser issues. I'll see in a couple of days. When you start mixing styles and selectors, you can get some really powerful stuff going on.
  • massfrequency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I meant the bg behind the text... but I agreed to disagree with rtm223, I think that if you lessen the contrast on the bg image it will look fine...

by the way, the site looks fine in IE6, but in Firefox the left menu doesn't look right, i.e. the arrow buttons don't show up and the dhtml menu doesnt work... :cry: but I'm not a CSS or DHTML guru.. (I prefer flash) I'm sure someone out there knows a workaround
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, i have looked at all posts and there seems to be a little confusion about what bg behind the text we're talking about!

LEFT MENU? (blue color 000066)

TOP MENU? (the blue net)

or the content? ( the black & white jpg)

It does work in the latest version of Firefox!!

Thanks for your time!
  • massfrequency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

i meant the content with the black & white jpg

Yes NOW the dhtml menu on the top works... the left menu still doesn't work properly...
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohhh OK.

To be honest, i thought that looks ok. Do you mean change the contrast so you can see it more clearly?

I have done a few tests and if the picture is more clear then the text isn't. It's just one of them subtle things that you don't really notice but know its there. http://www.futurecorps.net/back.jpg

I had the left menu working in mozilla... well, i've done tests in other pages and the "overflow:auto" works. The colored bars dont though.

I was thinking about putting some link jpgs in where the blue space is at the bottom and to the left. Also finishing the links in the left menu so that every other link is a slightly different color. Links need to go in the main content text too...

Thanks for the review, and please keep them coming!! :)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't change the contrast on that image and make it darker - it needs to be pale (barely visible) if it is going behind content. I think it looks great, I mwould leave it. making it darker and increasing the contrast detracts from the text - which is more important?
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223, the pic is gonna stay the same! It's only there to add dynamics to the page.

I still can't do that table thingy... grr!

It's bugging me!!
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the blue and white colors together. The layout is a simple layout. The header could use a little work (blending the images together). The links look like the content is going to be good. Let me know when the site is finished.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hvant read the other revies yet, so If this is repetative I apologize. :) I prefer to be non-biased towards a site before i review:D.

Alrighty then, lets see:

1. I like the left navigation!! Never seen that before, Thats a cool idea.
2. Not sure I like all that blue. Maybe centering the page would help a bit, but it kinda just glares at you.
3. Not so sure I like that background behind you links. Maybe tune it down a bit since it blends with the white text.

Its a rather decent site, It just needs some more work. But its looking good so far! 8)
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the colors are really nice and the buttons are unique. Its a change to have to scroll down and see what else your site is going to offer but when you scroll down, you have to scroll back to the top to be able to click on the button, maybe if you link the bottom half too it would be much easier to navigate, it could confuse your visitors.
Great drop down menu, shows that the site is full of content.
The top image looks great and shows slightly what your site is about. The updates on the first page look good and keep the visitor coming back to see if they have been added.
I noticed if I click on one of my other pages and come back to your site, you have a 5 second split image of the corps. Maybe if you make this image last a little longer, it would stand out more and not make the visitor blink and have to look again. Its a great effect.
I couldn't get much more of your site cos as the others said its saying that your site is currently offline.
I'd be interested to see what else you have to offer!
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey thanks guys,

Rat... I hate that name. I caught one in my house the other day. I had to kill it with a meat fork on the end of a broom. Still got the mental scars :cry:

Anyways,

Yeah the header was rushed to be honest. Not that good with art stuff but i'll have another go at it when i have some time. It's VERY easy to insert into the pages with CSS, infact... i don't need to change anything, just need to re-write over the image name :o

I like the blue and white... i needed to create the colors of the uniform. Most of them over the years where that color combo. However, some people don't like it and think there's too much blue. I am in 800x600 btw, so there isn't that much blue but in 1024x768 i see what you mean! I was always advised to use two colors on a web page. I'll try things out and see what i come up with.

SharkShark, The left nav looks OK. I wasnt sure about it to be honest, the content needs some work and it dont work in anything other than IE.

I would like to center the page, if i only knew how? I am new to CSS. I want to make it fluid too!

Yeah the bg behind the links was before the "blue" bg. Then i created the curved corners and needed to change the bg to a none image.

Btw. I really like your site!!

[EDIT] Hey Bee... thanks also, you just posted before me. I'll get back to you after work! :wink:
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Miss Bee, first off... thanks for the reply :D

Yeah i was just bored and messin' around with CSS one day and created the scroll menu... It's nothing special, just an overflow:auto. In mozilla the scroll doesn't work, i need to make sure that the top text link in the left menu is working. Also, i need to make the scroll content into links like you said. That was the plan anyway :o

I really like the top menu. I created it with some software called SOTHINK. I had some abuse on ere for the massive file size and the sluggish way that it worked. It had fade, shadow and alpha filters in it so i can see why it was slllloooowwwww..... THEN, i heard of a pure CSS menu and was interested in that, so i changed it into almost the same thing 8) and It loads quicker!!

The mp3s on my site is the main thing that people are interested in. So i need to keep the fan's updated on that.

What you say about the delay in the page loading and the picture displaying first is unintentional. It happened to me a few times, i think it looks cool too... Before i uploaded this page, i was messing around with ideas and that was one of them! I made a jpg that filled the whole page. It displayed for 3-4 seconds then faded into the main page but with the jpg still visible. (its hard to explain) Infact, you have got me thinking again! :idea: It looked very good, i might use it again for a quick intro.

I have been interested in web design since late 2000. The site you're on about, futurecorps.net was a full site. I had to change hosts and decided that i wouldn't upload the old pages to it, only the new ones... when i get them finished that is!

I have loads to offer if you're interested! :oops: ohhh you mean the web sites.... :wink:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Abuse for the filesizes? Now who might that have been....

Quote:
I would like to center the page, if i only knew how? I am new to CSS. I want to make it fluid too!

You can't do both. Sounds like you need to learn some css layout techniques. Go to http://www.glish.com/css and copy the layouts mentioned there. Just make smoe basic pages with plain columns with some lorem ipsum ( http://www.lipsum.com ) in them. It's the best way to learn advanced css. Just keep making layout after endless layout saving them on your computer - don't even bother uploading them.

BTW I'm still working on that footer thing - I have had no time since I last spoke to you, maybe not till tomorrow evening now!
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao whats on offer :P
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey bud, yeah it was you!! :cry: You were right about it though... Glad i found this other menu.

I think you're right with the layout techniques, i need educating! Cheers for the links! As i say, i am new to CSS and need guys like you for the help-in-hand 8)

Looking forward to the updated table thingy :)

Right then, Miss Bee....

I'm on offer babe...grrr! Just think, it could be the 1st ozzu.com romance (heart icon goes here!) We could invite all the ozzu users to our wedding, it'll be perfect!! AND... i know of a great website to remember it all by... http://www.members.aol.com/weddingdesig/ :wink:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ROFL dude dont u think your being just a little forward!!!1 LOL nah im playin, but dang, BigWeb has admireres, you are offering marriage already, Dang, what about the rest of us lonely guys here!!

*sits and weeps*
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ohhhhh sharkshark i can have u too!!!

hmmmm marriage huh lmao PM me if ya want to....been told i'm pretty cool to talk to!! :P
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, now sharkshark has got a lady
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh my Lawd Almighty!!!!!
*clutches his chest and keels over*
Its too much too soon!!!
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

*gives sharkshark some asprin*
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL I can give you more then asprin sharkshark hehehehehe :P:P:P:P:P:P:P
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, let him have the asprin. it suits him
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Id rather let Bee handle it Rat, thank you very much :D:D, LOL this whole review thread has turned 180 degrees, and now has absoloutly nothing to do with review lol.
  • futurebuzz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it has!

It's all your fault Miss Bee, if you didnt look soooo damn fine and cloud us guys minds then i'd still get some reviews on ere... :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers