SITE REVIEW: GameFlix

• bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking for both constructive criticism and suggestions on my newest project, GameFlix. The main points I want you to look at:

- The overall color scheme. (Does it look sketchy? Not a single color is web-safe, so there's a large possibility they are not displayed as intended.)

- The layout. Is everything easily readible and accessibile? Sure, the links don't work, so that's a major hit to the usability (;)), but I'm talking structurally. (I've only tested it on Firefox 1.5 and IE6.0.)

- The name of the site. I did a brief search for "GameFlix" on Google, and it didn't seem to turn up anything major (or anything that would be trademarked) and the GameFlix.com domain is unregistered (so far as I can tell; no search page).

- The header! I originally had an image for the header, but the problem was that it was to the left of the tabs, and as a result made them look small or awkward. I shrank it down, but it still didn't look right, so I removed it altogether and instead used the empty "navigation bar" (where the header is now) to display the title. The problem here is functionality. While I wasn't certain what this bar would be used for, I was thinking sub-links once the page was finished. It feels very... hackish. Any suggestions?

- The tabs themselves. Apparently (to my surprise), li:hover was actually allowed, so I took that opportunity to make it look pretty. In IE, however, it's just plain old text that lights up. Boring. But as a whole, how do they look? Are they effective? Easy to see, read, and understand?

URL: http://www.ligerexpress.com/gameflix/

NOTE: If you take a peek at the source, you'll notice that I've exempted some important stuff from the headers, etc. I usually go back and add that at a later time (once the site is formed). Perhaps that's a bad idea, but I've never had an issue with it; is there any good reason I shouldn't do this? Also, I'm eventually going to organize the CSS to be more optimized and efficient, and probably validate the HTML (or XHTML, really).

Thanks in advance!
Logan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

It needs to be a little more functional to get a better feel for the "flow" of the site, but I really like what I see so far.

- The colour looks fine to me, but then I run at high res and colour-depth.

- The layout looks good so far, but it's difficult to accurately comment on it without some more content.

- Really diggin' the name, nice one!

- I think the header looks fine, but I'm kinda "myeh" about the indented tagline. I think it would look better justified left.

- Yep. IE doesn't like :hover on anything but links. Grrrr, since it's a great way to make CSS rollovers. I'm pretty sure there's a way around this, though - did you try A List Apart's "Sliding Doors of CSS" article or Listamatic? In answer to your question, yes, they're absolutely easy to see, read, and understand.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, as soon as I get some more free time, I'll try and work on making it somewhat functional. While I eventually want to have it all backend, I'm not the greatest PHP coder. I could do it, but it would be sloppy, inefficient, and very insecure.

I'll consider the header.

As for the tabs, I actually formed the current tabs from A List Apart's article. I could have gone further with IE, but I didn't feel it was necessary.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've gone through and optimized the site... and when I say optimized, I mean it. According to the WSO read-out, it was some 101000 bytes in size and took some 22 seconds to render on 56k. That was simply out of the question.

While I made a few sacrifices, I'm satisfied with the end-effect all the same. I've cut it down to about 35000 bytes with about 6.5 second rendering time, which means about 2 seconds on cable. Needless to say, I'm quite happy with that.

I've also changed the header. The original design incorporated the same kind of logo, but they were in-line with the tabs, and it didn't look right. I've done something a little different. It works, I think. My only qualm is the slogan text... it seems 'out there'.

The 'about' tab works, too, by the way, but there's nothing there.

Final word: You can watch the video if you'd like, but you should be forewarned, it is loaded with cussing and immature remarks.

http://www.ligerexpress.com/gameflix/index.html
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Clicking on the random image does nothing for me (Firefox 1.5/XP), but other than that, I think it's coming along quite nicely. I like the facelift. Even on a broadband connection, I appreciate not having to wait for sites to load.

As for the slogan, if you don't like what you've got, you can ask for suggestions in the General Discussion forum.

Nice work!
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I forgot to make that random image link functional. It's still all very... loose. This update was definitely more about making it more friendly for 56k users (and broadband alike).

'Til the next update...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers