SITE REVIEW: Gamer Within

• Gaminglegend
  • Gaminglegend
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently launched, Gamer Within provides an extensive range of quality content relating to the interactive entertainment industry.

http://www.gamerwithin.com

Any comments or suggestions for improvement are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Loc: South East England

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a very, very nice site. Only things that could be improved on are the main links could be buttons instead of tetx and the sections links in the top corner could be a bit bigger as they are hard to read on my resolution and you dont really notice them.

Maybe the orange background is a bit garish i would go for a dark grey, but that is just my preference.

Overall a very, very nice site. Hmmmm ive allready said that.

EDIT: Wow ive seen how the colours change depending on which section your in. I really like that :D
  • Gaminglegend
  • Gaminglegend

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the review Burnt_Raven.

If anyone else cares to voice their opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is active and lively . I would suggest a full banner on the top. i suggest that the contents should be also in orange color.OTherwise nice and clean site.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like the 3 columns at the bottom being equal size. I expect content to be there, in the middle.
I would put the latest reviews in the middle, and make it a bit wider.
Also, the blue links on the dark grey background are VERY hard to read.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd make the navigation into button, or at least change the font to something other than Times New Roman. And the blue against the grey is very difficult to read. (Viewing in 1280x1024).

I'm not too fond on your choices of background colours. The orange is barable, and would maybe look better on a different part of the page. Somewhere smaller. It just looks a little over powering as the background. When the background is purple, the contrast over tha page hurts my eyes.

Other than that, the site looks great! Well layed out, and generally good looking. Keep up the good work :wink:
  • aintlovegrand
  • aintlovegrand

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm. On the bar up on the top, (well the one under the banner)i would suggest you using a different font for that.. Just like you have on the very top bar. :P othen than that the site looks pretty good. keep it up man!
  • hasnatme
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Post 3+ Months Ago

well its a huge website...and color changing on several pages looks odd to me..cause sometimes I think I'm leaving the site!!! and ofcourse the top banner is not align with the other pages banner..it seems to be moved when I click any link for example (the need for speed most wanted link) when you click the link then the banner will move from its original position..which is not professional.

And finally the whole page should be middle alignment for better looking.
  • yktan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • yktan

Post 3+ Months Ago

The general layout is very clean which is good. One thing you should definitely change is the blue links on grey background. Its very difficult to read.

I almost didn't see the top left menu (section). It feels like it's not even there... maybe you should make it bigger?
  • SplitMedia
  • SplitMedia
  • Loc: Split-Media.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it a lot, good job.. Thats really all I have to say.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good job, you have good taste. I am a gamer myself, I think I would prefer some flash in their. Flash is prettyful. OHHH AHHHH
  • silverbullit
  • silverbullit

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice site. Design is simple and not too cluttered like some other gaming sites. It could be less cluttered still. The reviews are good and it looks professional. When i originally saw I thought it would just be a amatuer gaming website but it does look professional.
  • Gaminglegend
  • Gaminglegend

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site's template has now been centered, limiting the colourful backgrounds that potentially distract the viewers.

Further opinions on the slight change to the design are welcome.

Thanks.
  • Imperiumhosting
  • Imperiumhosting
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the range of colors you've used. It appears friendly if that makes sense.

I think the links in the top left corner should be a bit bigger. I didn't even notice them at first. Also, the three colunms at the bottom are a bit long. Maybe try trimming a quarter off and spreading the article headlines out a bit.

Other than that it appears to be a very good site.
  • Absorb
  • Absorb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know what to say, i love the design. It's very friendly and fits the gamer theme. Good job.
  • Bacterial
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bacterial

Post 3+ Months Ago

The top half of the website is very cool. But i think you need to tone down on the white at the bottom half.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

its nice
  • Gaminglegend
  • Gaminglegend

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since this thread was last updated, I have made quite a number of changes to the site, resulting in the appearance and operation of the site of a higher standard than it was when it first launched.

I am now looking for further opinions, critiscisms and suggestions for improvements on the current state of Gamer Within. Could you please take a look at the site and let me know what your impressions are, paying particular attention to what you like and what you think needs to be improved.

The site is located at: http://www.gamerwithin.com
  • mgonzo
  • mgonzo

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall I think you've got a great site, and you couldn't have appeared at a better time. Now that some of my favourite sites are getting so inundated with ads and bogged down with clutter-making content that they take eons to load, I've been looking for more ... indie? ... alternatives.

That said, it's time to nitpick... from a purely subjective standpoint, of course.

Let me preface the following "feature request" by saying that I'm brand new to PHP - as in, a couple of days new - so I'm not altogether certain whether this is feasible, but I would like for my sub-section selection to be persistent across section changes. Clear as mud? Let me clarify:

Your sections include: PS2, Xbox, GC, etc.
Your sub-sections include: Reviews, Previews, Screenshots, etc.

Currently, if I am looking at the Game Listing sub-section of the PSP section, and I click on Xbox, I am taken to the Xbox "homepage." However, if I am currently looking at your game listing, then that's what I want to see - your game listing. I found it a little disruptive to be visually assaulted (I mean that in the nicest way possible, mind you) by the homepage before I could click (again) to view the nice, clean, simple game listing.

Alternatively, it might be nice to have a few options that tie your content together. What I mean is that currently, the individual sections may as well be separate web sites. However, if you gave me the option of viewing *all* the games at once, all the screenshots, all the reviews, etc., it would sort of bring it all together nicely.

Oooooooh.... OK, so I just clicked around, and I see that this is already in place. Nifty! If I click on "Recent," I get everything across all platforms. Yay, that's awesome... but it wasn't very clear to me that that's what would happen. Additionally, I would like to be able to group the resulting list by the criterion in the column's header, i.e. by platform, by title, etc.

Moving along...

Yes, I know there's a "Home" link, but could you make the Gamer Within logo, as well as the "GamerWithin.com" bit of the navbar, link back to the homepage as well?

And now, for my "Yes, I know I'm anal" closer...

I love the purty coloured backgrounds. Contrary to someone's critique earlier, I love that each section uses that platform's colour (I loved that about IGN too, before their folks dropped out of usability 101 - grrr). What I don't love is that all the little/big black boxes, that contain graphics, screenshots, or content, don't line up. The four little boxes at top-right line up with each other, but not with the right margin of the main content area. The big graphic to their left is vertically centred, but would look better if it were the same height. Additionally, that left graphic doesn't line up with the left margin of the main content area.

No big deal, and probably just a personal, must-achieve-symmetry-nirvana thing, but nevertheless, there ya go.

Btw, I'm using Firefox 1.5b2 on XP.

Hth, and keep up the great work. I've added your site to my list of oft-checked gaming hubs.

- Gita.
  • val2006
  • Born
  • Born
  • val2006
  • Loc: elkton md

Post 3+ Months Ago

u have really cool graphics on your site I bet alot of young people dig it. :D
  • Gaminglegend
  • Gaminglegend

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your informative post justG - a number of the subjects that you raised have certainly never been brought to my attention, and I will be looking into attempting to improve the site appropriately, as I have to agree with a number of your comments (namely feature image alignment).

Now, for some slight clarification...

justG wrote:
Currently, if I am looking at the Game Listing sub-section of the PSP section, and I click on Xbox, I am taken to the Xbox "homepage." However, if I am currently looking at your game listing, then that's what I want to see - your game listing. I found it a little disruptive to be visually assaulted (I mean that in the nicest way possible, mind you) by the homepage before I could click (again) to view the nice, clean, simple game listing.

Alternatively, it might be nice to have a few options that tie your content together. What I mean is that currently, the individual sections may as well be separate web sites. However, if you gave me the option of viewing *all* the games at once, all the screenshots, all the reviews, etc., it would sort of bring it all together nicely.

Oooooooh.... OK, so I just clicked around, and I see that this is already in place. Nifty! If I click on "Recent," I get everything across all platforms. Yay, that's awesome... but it wasn't very clear to me that that's what would happen. Additionally, I would like to be able to group the resulting list by the criterion in the column's header, i.e. by platform, by title, etc.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but what I think you are referring to is being able to view all reviews, previews, news, games, etc. straight off the bat, without having to click on "Recent." If this is so, this is possible directly from the site's index page, simply by clicking on the sub-section links from the index page, as follows:
http://www.gamerwithin.com/index.php?vi ... ist&type=2
http://www.gamerwithin.com/index.php?vi ... ist&type=3
http://www.gamerwithin.com/index.php?view=games

They do take a while to load - I am currently working on decreasing the loading time. If this is not what you mean, please let me know.

justG wrote:
Yes, I know there's a "Home" link, but could you make the Gamer Within logo, as well as the "GamerWithin.com" bit of the navbar, link back to the homepage as well?

Another good idea - I'll see what I can do.

justG wrote:
I love the purty coloured backgrounds. Contrary to someone's critique earlier, I love that each section uses that platform's colour (I loved that about IGN too, before their folks dropped out of usability 101 - grrr). What I don't love is that all the little/big black boxes, that contain graphics, screenshots, or content, don't line up. The four little boxes at top-right line up with each other, but not with the right margin of the main content area. The big graphic to their left is vertically centred, but would look better if it were the same height. Additionally, that left graphic doesn't line up with the left margin of the main content area.

Another good idea - I'll see if I can also get this fixed.

Also glad to hear that you like the site overall. :)

val2006 wrote:
u have really cool graphics on your site I bet alot of young people dig it.

Good to hear you like the images. I've tried to keep them simple yet effective, which appears to be working nicely.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

"I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but what I think you are referring to is being able to view all reviews, previews, news, games, etc. straight off the bat, without having to click on "Recent." If this is so, this is possible directly from the site's index page..."

Ah ha, wonderful! So clicking on any sub-section from the homepage presents a comprehensive view of that item across all platforms, but selecting a platform first limits the view to just that one. That's actually quite intuitive, and I wouldn't suggest any changes there at all; it should've been immediately apparent to me.

So, all that remains then, is for me to reiterate a small feature request, in case it escaped your notice the first time. ;)

"Additionally, I would like to be able to group/sort the resulting list by the criterion in the column's header, i.e. by platform, by title, etc."

Your attention to forum responses is appreciated, as is your attention to detail on the site. Good luck with it, it's a rather tough niche to wedge yourself into these days!
  • Gaminglegend
  • Gaminglegend

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I'll definitely have a look into the grouping and sorting options and see what I can come up with.
  • ABC
  • ABC

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a cool website !
Mind the remarks of the others and it 'll be even greater !!
8)
ciao

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers