SITE REVIEW: GBAWorld.net

• gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm currently running a Gameboy Advance website and I would like to know your opinions (positive and negative) so I could make my site better. Do you think I lack graphics on the frontpage? Was the colors OK? Can you please provide feedback using different screen resolutions and different browsers?

Thanks in advance. :)
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

give us the link please?;)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe its http://www.gbaworld.net/ as the title to the post suggests.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the site takes longer to load than i would have expected with a cable connection. There aren't many graphics and i think the colors are that good. Maybe changing the colors would help. The logo is pretty cool. And if you can, perhaps you might want to get rid of the advertisements.

On the 'current games' tab the text is kinda hard to read. Also when you go there you see a button that says previous....what is that for?

On the 'downloads' page, the 'Wing Commander Prophecy' picture is not showing up. The 'page 2' 'page 3' 'page 4' at the bottom of the page, if they are supposed to be links, they are currently not working.

On the ' Future Games' page, below 'release date' , i can not read the text.

scale 1-10 = 4
  • gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

The "Previous" link (and those <<<<<<< signs) is about GBA games that was released since the beginning of GBA until 2002 which most of them contains reviews and/or ratings.

I deleted the Wing Commander wallpapers temporarily and I'll upload them back ASAP.

The links (page 2, 3, 4) are working on the downloads page. You have to click it in the bottom middle part of the link.

The release date text is readable on my PC. Maybe you don't have the necessary fonts. I'll change it if there is enough people that can't read them.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think it's cause i have my text view on the setting 'smaller'
  • RulingAuthority
  • RulingAuthority

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

This is my first site review, hope I can help.

1. Walkthroughs page. I have never really been a fan of a list of items all centered on the page. It kind of gives it a messy look.

2. Future Games page. Ok, this page looks better than the walkthroughs page, all the items are neatly listed. However I would choose a different color scheme for the TABLE.

3. Current games page. This page is also more organized than the walkthrough page, the bold baby blue lettering is a hard to read though.

4. Downloads page. I like this page the best so far. I would try to separate each download more. Maybe add borders to the table.

5. Codes page. Colors clash bad. Maybe find a way to separate each listing a little more, everything kind of runs together.

Overall suggestion would be to remove the frames from your site. Then you could take your logo and buttons, and add them to top of each of your pages. Also, use the light blue background (that is currently on your logo frame) on all of your pages. Make all your pages look somewhat the same (backgrounds, logos, navigational buttons) but just have different content on them. Keep the colors easy on the eyes, text and links should also all be the same size (except for headers, or other things you want to stand out).

This is my first review, please don't take anything I say negatively. I am just trying to help, but I do feel just a little guilty when I give criticism.
  • mnmarkm
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Cloquet, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

// The font colors leave alot to be desired... Being color blind makes it even harder to view. You might want to choose darker font colors with lighter backgrounds, and vice versa for dark backgrounds.

// Another problem is using DreamWeaver's default Flash buttons. While the Chrome look is neat, the limitations to the length of the text in the button makes it difficult to use for long titles. The only work arounds are to use a smaller font, or create your own buttons in Flash.

// All of the links in your buttons reference different sites on different servers. You may want to contact those people and get permissions for this, (they may have limited bandwidth for example) and could result in partial loss of your site due to it. Or see about hosting that information on your site.

// Over all, it's a learning process. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we are happy to contribute where we can.
  • gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

To mnmarkm,

Although some links are in different servers, I am the one that created and have full controls on all of them. :wink:
I'm not worrying about the limitations to the length of the text in the buttons because I'm not planning to add new buttons for a while. :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok,

my opinion...

everything seems to be !blue!.....all i can see is blue, i may be a pain in the A**, but this is what i think, the writing is hard to understand as well, the blue kinda makes it feel baby'ish. not like a gba website
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, the color scheme is...well non existant, your banner has red in it, while one of the other pages has a grey background, and yet another page has an olive table, and the text on the main page is teal, and the background is blue for most of the other pages. It's way to many colors, you should always try to keep the scheme to three or four colors 'major' colors, while things like rollovers etc might need different colors for oomph.
  • gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer, which page has the grey background?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

walkthroughs
  • gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are your opinions in the fiction section (http://fiction.gbaworld.net).
Should I add graphics or it does it look alright since it just contains stories?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers