SITE REVIEW: Gelscrew GFX

• AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I have just started on this site and i have what i think is a good looking fast loading design

http://www.gelscrewgfx.250a.com/

Thank you
Alex Hazlett

The site is for a graphic designer for character pictures for a game

(if that makes sense)

Thanks again i need any ideas and i will be adding content
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I'll be blunt. As a fellow designer in the industry, I have to say the sites overall design is sub-par. It can be pushed much, much farther. If I were the client I would feel I am looking at what would be the first comps to what will eventually be my website - not the finished piece.

There are a lot of changes that can be made to make it more appealing, like the gradient bars you have, perhaps making it so that there is a difference between the top bar and the bottom bar where the gradients would better present the idea of a 3D effect for whatever content is between them - rather than the same gradient for each bar?

What is the purpose for the orange bars?

The affiliates you have at the top, why are they there instead of to the side or bottom - what makes them so important in the hierarchy?

The banner at the top is fine, but I feel the green in the gradient bars throw off the color scheme with the orange bars there. Orange goes much better with grey then that green.

That's my critique and my opinions. Keep at it though, the design is on its way, but far from being finished as I think you can push it much farther.

P.S. It does load fast, no doubt but that's coming from a broadband user 8)
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with mr_darek on a few points.... I think the green bars are definately needing something... when the page first loads... my eyes go directly to them... maybe they could be smaller or what darek said adjust the shading to make them look more 3d... I thik they should blend into the page more.

I definately think the small banners need a different spot on your page possibly on the side of the page underneath your navigation section there... but your shoutbox is there, so I am not very sure. I think the orange bars will separate a "news announcement" of some kind? If it was me I would use a similar color as the larger bars... green and red are too opposite to me :) but I agree I like the Green against the grey rather than the orange/grey... I think the green ties in your banner at the top where your title is.

I like it though, I am broadband also, and it loads very quickly for me. No problem there. My resolution doesn't cut off the page or anything, and I used IE 6 and Mozilla Firefox on it, and they both look exactly ho I think you want it to look to a visitor.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional, I am just giving you "educated Layman's" observations.

I thik it is a good start!

RBeau
  • AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

the affiliates are there cause thats where he wanted them and yea you are right i should ad stuff to the green bars
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

mr_darek wrote:
Well, I'll be blunt. As a fellow designer in the industry, I have to say the sites overall design is sub-par. It can be pushed much, much farther. If I were the client I would feel I am looking at what would be the first comps to what will eventually be my website - not the finished piece.

P.S. It does load fast, no doubt but that's coming from a broadband user 8)

i agree totally. i have 4 meg per second connection and it takes about 10 seconds to load. the bars done in the blue green color does not appear very appealing. i would also recommend making the forums and the websites bars the same color, the forums being the steel bar. other wise, the actual layout of the site is pretty good. i would also put the affiliate buttons on the left side, but that is just a personal preference.

poly
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the site is easy loading ! but the shoutbox dun match the layout.. ur background is grey so u shuda change the greenbars to some shades of grey.. the navigation is good n nice banner :)
  • AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definitely was a good idea to move the affiliates i have changed a few things and the site is looking better already thanks guys (btw what can i do about the green bars any suggestions?)
  • AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

sana i have taken your advise and put the dars to gray to match the site and i have edited the shoutbox tell me what you think thanks
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Ahaz... I like the color scheme better... I think I am addicted to your shoutbox though... LOL

I thik maybe the bars need to be shaded more gradually to not interfere with the titles.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow.. the shoutbox looks much better :)
  • AHaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know thanks guys (shaded the bars)
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

your new bars are messed up in Mozilla. but the color scheme is much better.

poly
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Much, much better, the shading of the bars makes more sense now with that color scheme and the arrangement of hierarchy with the affiliates placed to the side makes the site more readable in terms of logic.

Polly is right, the site is goofy in Firefox.
  • GELSCREW
  • Born
  • Born
  • GELSCREW

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanks for reviewing my website but ahaz has stopped building it and the website has become idle. i would rele like it completed by christmas. if any1 can help email me at gerardkelly@gmail.com
as im know good at html i have resorted to a freewebs account
http://www.gelscrew-gfx.vze.com
  • GELSCREW
  • Born
  • Born
  • GELSCREW

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello if any one is bored and would like to help me out could you please design me a graphics website. a friend called alex was doing it for me (http://www.ahazdesigns.com) but has stopped. he got to this point http://www.gelscrewgfx.250a.com and hasnt done any more since. My graphics are for an online game i play where there is an option to have a profile picture and aa team picture. i design these for people. i also design signatures and avatars to. as i am no good at html i resorted to a freewebs account http://www.gelscrew-gfx.vze.com
once again any help would be greatly appreciated

Contact me through email or on aim
email:gerardkelly@gmail.com
aim: gelscrewgfx
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

if anyone is interested in taking over this project, contact GELSCREW
directly. We'll reopen this thread if and when that happens. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers