SITE REVIEW: Get Milked...

• ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello. Here's my site. It's called "Get Milked" and it's a Flash site.

I'm curious what people think of the navgation. I know the navigation in the comics is not so great. Any suggestions for change?

Also: what are opinions about each Flash movie having its own html page? Right now most of the site is 1 html page that switches .swf files behind it. Is this an advantage or disadvantage.

And any general comments, of course.

Thanks for looking! :D

http://www.getmilked.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wasnt sure exactly what your site was about when I loaded it up. In fact, you dont really explain it here either, other than "its a flash site". I think you could definitely benefit from an About page or something to that effect, because I havent a clue what I'm trying to do or what to expect now that I'm on your site.

The rollover menu sound bites are funny, but as I'm trying to listen to a song playing on winamp, its a bit annoying navigating through your options. Maybe have a sound off option? You could also make that Contact option on the bottom right a little more visible.

Clicking on Comix, I cant help but notice you put the galleries in order of greatest to least (six, five, ....., two one), it was a bit confusing. Maybe put it in order.

In Games, I havent a clue what to do. Maybe put instructions or something, what am I looking for here? Where are the games? Hovering over that nail in the wall gives me nothing, eyes pop out of that other thing and does nothing. Oh here we go, irritable friend does something. Pretty funny game. One suggestion, on the screen before the actual game, you dont include a link to go back to the main menu. You include it in the game, but not the screen before. Something for you to add.

The Toons part was ok. The Words link takes me away from your site with no link to return back to the menu. No wait, you do include one, right at the very bottom of the page. Maybe toss one on the top as well. Btw, thats a long scroll you have there. Maybe consider an archive and get rid of a lot of those entries.

Anyway, I'm still not sure exactly what I just experienced. Does your site have a specific theme or target audience? I'm kind of confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. You may need to build a stronger identity for your site so that, for people like me, your users dont leave with a sense of confusion. The flash work is actually pretty good, so at least you have that going for you.
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow. Thanks for that incredible feedback. I agree the site has a little identity crisis, and that users are probably forced to navigate around to figure out what's going on. And even once they do navigate around, they still may not know exactly what's going on. I guess that was a bit intentional (i.e., trying to have an "out there" feeling pervading the site), but your feedback makes me think twice about it. Maybe some people are getting confused and leaving quickly - my visit times stats are everywhere from 1 minute to 5 hours (though I know these aren't always accurate).

I like your suggestion for an "about page". That would probably clear up some of the confusion. And people who don't want to know can just ignore it.

Thanks again for your great feedback. I'll be thinking about all of it as I rev up for a new version of the site.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! You got a great site there. I have a few suggestions:

1) Remove the 3 swears on it. Then you can say your totally swear-free. This gives you more potential audience.

2) Add a links page.

3) See that other persons suggestions.

Usually my review posts are much longer. Consider this a compliment. If you want a crosslinking with my site just let me know.
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback, Azoundria. I appreciate it!

I'll consider removing the swears, but my general philosophy is just to keep swearing to a minimum (and what's on my site isn't too bad). Though I agree profanity can limit an audience, I think I'll take my chances. You probably won't see a lot, if any, profanity in the future.

I'm curious why you think I need a links page. What would I be linking to and what purpose would it serve? I do include the occassional link on my "Words", and may include more in the future.

Again, thanks for the feedback and thanks for looking at my site!
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Links site I was hoping youd crosslink me but I guess I can dream on, right? :cry: :( :cry: I have my site for review here too and almsot noone reviews it anymore.

Whats with your 'Penguin on the Road' thing?
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
I have my site for review here too and almsot noone reviews it.

Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Your review thread has 6 pages..... most people have 1. I think you've got plenty of feedback.
  • Fine Lingerie
  • Born
  • Born
  • Fine Lingerie

Post 3+ Months Ago

While flash makes a site interesting, many folks will leave because it can take a while to load.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahahaaaa aahh fabulous site :D

I really like the look of it, you have put a lot of hard work into it.

Your right about the comic menu though, it is all kind squishy - but because you can mouseover the text, its not that hard to tell what one your about to look at :D
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow - difficult to know what to say. It's weird. It's crazy. A lot of people will take a look, think what the hell is that - and leave. Others - especially younger people whose expectations are not so conditioned will browse around and find lots to surprise and maybe even delight them.

I should say - I hate flash. All those companies that put 'exciting' 'visually engaging' flash intros on their sites I would personally like to shoot for wasting my time - but this is real creative use of flash and its obvious that you are a real creative. I looked at some of the toons which are complete animated shorts in flash. A lot of work - good work well done.

But, like your first reviewer, I'm a bit mystified. (What's it FOR, what's it FOR??)

It's clear that you're not trying to conform to the norms of peoples expectations - so, in order to answer your question on how you can improve it - I have to ask - what are you trying to achieve with it?

Are you trying to showcase your work? to the general public or to people that might pay for it? If you want broad appeal then an HTML page giving an explanation / hint / lure to get people in would probably broaden your pulling power. Conversely, having it odd (the way it is) makes it quirky, cliquey, for those in the know...

Then again maybe you just want to poke a finger in the eye of the concept of achieving anything with it and just do it because it's fun - which it is!

Nice Work!
  • PHP_Guru
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Clermont, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where To Start?

Well, First Off, Nice Flash Work, Although Its Not Quite Up To My Professional Par. It Took Alot Of Time, More Than I Would Dedicate.

Can I Ask? Whats The Purpose?

Azoundria Made A Excelent Point, The Swearing Is Definatly Not Needed. And Other Than That, The Sound Effects Are Superb.

The Sound Effects Are Good, But Extremely Annoying.

"Ouuu Games....".. "Cooommiiixxxxx".."Tooooounnssss"

Lol.

Also As A Side Question, Where Do You Make Your Sound? Like Speech And Stuff.?
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked the cleanness of the graphics, the impressive thing is that it's very low on violence, which I myself find so hard to avoid in my animations & games. It has a sort of innocence. I do suggest you centralize the menu (the main menu, all the submenus ex games. Toons) in one swf file on one page, that would avoid the “having to load another menu again” syndrome, which is annoying, even though the main menu itself would take longer. Also try making your movies a tad longer (at least a minute). Overall nice site, especially if you are ten (no offence, it is a good site with good graphics). Also it makes for a nice non-offensive portfolio if that is what you are after. Keep it up!
  • davidfunk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Think you have significant skill with flash, and i like your style of animation. I didnt watch every one of your toons, but the one i liked the bes was the one with the happy dog and the monster. i dont think people realize how much time and skill it takes to make a flash site, its so much easier to make just a regular html site. good job and keep it up!
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Azoundria wrote:
I have my site for review here too and almsot noone reviews it.

Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Your review thread has 6 pages..... most people have 1. I think you've got plenty of feedback.

Im sorry I meant 'almost noone reviews it anymore. ' I havent had a review in a while. I think this is because everyone thinks its alreaady finished being reviewed.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Am I missing something here? Your site doesn't work with IE back button.

For example I foloow this path,
http://www.getmilked.com/getmilked.html -> comix -> gallery three -> love (could be any link) and then when I click on the IE back button it takes me right back to the homepage. Unbelievably annoying. Sure, I see the return link but what good is a site that doesn't fit within the accepted conventions of user browsing.

Btw, you have a weird, kooky and somewhat disturbing site. On the other hand, its got a great retro, cool feel to it. Your obviously gifted. Well done.

I'm off.....
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again, thanks for all of the great feedback. I appreciate all of it.

The "back button" problem mentioned above is a known issue. I originally designed the site to be encapsulated all on one HTML page. In retrospect I think that was a mistake. Now when I add new pages I give them their own HTML so the back button works. I'm slowly in the process of changing the rest of the site to do the same. Thanks for pointing that out!

As for cross-linking; it's nothing against anyone personally, I just don't think cross-linking really fits with my site. Right now I don't see a purpose for a links page except for that. I appreciate the gesture, though. Thanks.

I agree with the above comments that the site has a bit of an identity crisis and as it stands probably has a limited audience. I need to determine if that's a bad or a good thing and adjust the site accordingly. That's probably my biggest question right now, and you've all given me plenty to chew on there.

Also, my sound is all done at home. I have an $80 mini-boom that picks up everything and anything. Then I record with multi-tracking software and mixdown to MP3.

Again, thanks for all the great feedback from everyone. Good to see a board where real feedback gets submitted rather than "ok" or "sucks". :D
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geez. I got no idea what this site is about!

Infact I got tired of the 'toon' to load and shut it down.

Im not a big fan of flash to be honest. Its a wank on the internet, ....really.

Its been around forever and a day and developers are still asking...will it be popular???

RJ
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash is the basis of his site. Most people like flash and people who dont will just go elsewhere.
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it is a Flash site through and through (except for the "Words" section). Also, if you're using dial-up the toons will load VERY slowly. If you're on a high-speed connection it shouldn't take too long. This is true for most Flash sites.

Thanks for looking!
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site, good flash work and nice domain name.
I quite like the whole thing. :-)
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Technicaly the site is great... no problems..

Its the content that I can't watch... Happy Dauweg... what's that....it was torture to watch.
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Happy Dawg" is kind of an exercise in tolerance... so your feedback makes sense in a way, mjmtaiwan... :lol: Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Again, I appreciate all of the great feedback! And thanks for looking!
  • mjmtaiwan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjmtaiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your so very welcome.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

each of your comic galleries can show some thumbnails of what the gallery is hosting.
instead of others clicking and seeing each gallery, they can preview first.

Just 2 cents.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be a neat idea.
  • unbroken
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • unbroken

Post 3+ Months Ago

its really cool, but it takes too long to load on broadband. i can't imagine dial-up.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use dial-up. Just do something else well you're waiting. It's worth the wait.
  • Cobnobl
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i liked it, the sounds b going over the buttons got a little old and annying but it was tolerable. the game i played was weird but the site was very easy to navigate and i like that style of website
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you give me an idea of how long it's taking to load? The files are pretty small (I've optimized them down quite a bit). The only time I have personally see a slow loading time is on dial-up.

If you have details, I'd be curious to hear them.

Thanks!!
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

2 maybe 3 minutes. Sometimes like 5 or 10 for your bigger ones.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 38 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers