SITE REVIEW: GetWebhosted.org

• NullPointer
  • NullPointer
  • Loc: Irvine, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I could use some advice for my site at http://GetWebhosted.org. Also, I just finished coding up a host-finder script at http://GetWebhosted.org/concentrate.php , can someone please give me some suggestions regarding that? I'm mostly concerned with content and functionality rather than looks, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
  • Inito
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would strongly recommend removing the dark blue background from the search results, as it makes the results written in a dark font themselves nearly illegible.

In addition, the link "Click Here to add a host to this database." is hidden behind the Google Ad on my screen, except for the "Click Her" part. I'm using Firefox and a 1280 x 1024 resolution.

Also currently when you choose two same priorities, after pressing submit you get an ugly empty page with the error. It would be a much better idea to display the error above the form, with the pages intact.
I'm not sure if you have any knowledge of JavaScript, but I would recommend writing a quick and dirty script that, upon choosing a priority, checks whether that priority is already used on a different aspect and pops up an alert() if so.

Also, the background you use for the ads and menu on my screen is also displayed a second time below that, but only filling the left half (leaving the right half white). I'm not sure if this is intended.

Finally, I'm not sure where you get your list of hosts from, but it seems rather short. I could only get like 4 results every time, while there's millions out there.
  • NullPointer
  • NullPointer

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just finished writing the script. There's only 9 hosts in the database, I'll add more soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: I just finished implementing your suggestions:
-result background is now lighter, making it easier to read
-error message is now displayed on the main page
-removed the click here text
  • idwebtemplate
  • idwebtemplate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i thing you should use more contrass color for your font. try #AF0000
  • NullPointer
  • NullPointer

Post 3+ Months Ago

idwebtemplate wrote:
i thing you should use more contrass color for your font. try #AF0000

That red is a bit intense, I'll look into changing the color though. Thanks for the reply.
  • tempo
  • Born
  • Born
  • tempo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Text is not clearly visible use some bright colors.
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Houston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site, and feel that the changes you have implemented has improved the site as a whole, and made it more user-friendly. The site worked perfectly for me, and all the links I chose to follow worked perfectly. I think the only thing I would change, would be to move the login boxes from the bottom of the screen, up to the top. I prefer to use the boxes like you have at the bottom rather than following a link, but with them at the bottom of the screen, it makes them less friendly to users.

Other than that, the site looks good, and functional
  • funlounge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funlounge

Post 3+ Months Ago

The idea is nice

However:

- There are too many forums. as a new forum site, you want to cutback on the number of forums as they would be slow to start

- I like the colour and style. However the two rows of top menu with text links above and buttons below are very confusing to the user - try moving the buttons away from the text links

- On functionality what is really important is to be able to compare two hosting companies (disk space, support, etc....) and not just list them sequentially

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers