SITE REVIEW: GLA

• Cheap5.0
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cheap5.0

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my second site i have made using CSS, and i am looking for any type of feedback

Thanks for looking

The site.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• webcosmo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Boston, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was visiting you site on mozilla. menus are not clickable. looks like its an unfinished project.
you may consider putting a home link thorough an image or <a> link to allow users get back to homepage when they are on others.
  • Cheap5.0
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cheap5.0

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry i forgot to mention this is near completion, i am just waiting for content from the customer.

I suggested using the header image as a home link, but they did not like the idea.

Any suggestions other than color scheme and logo is much appreciated (these values are strictly controlled by the person paying, not me).
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep the color scheme, but that doesn't mean you can't work with what you have! Royal blue & black can blend much nicer than what you have! Don't forget to work with shades of each as well. That doesn't mean, however, mix/match, as you have with the blue in your menu vs. the blue in the runner bars vs. the blue in the links.

On a different note as requested, ... never mind, start there.
  • Cheap5.0
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cheap5.0

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice, it had crossed my mind before but like many things it slipped right out after it was conceived.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would maybe add a nicer picture to the logo up top to begin with ... a nice professional stock photograph or something like that

And on your menus, can't you maybe just remove the white textbackground and just make the text white on the blue background or something like that ...

One thing I must also mention, on the w3c markup validator it found 56 errors on your site's coding, most of them are simple things usually ... But just have a look at that aswell!
  • Cheap5.0
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cheap5.0

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks trespasser, i need all the advice/feedback i can get.

I am probably going to clean up the logo by getting sharper edges on it, but i don't know if a stock photo will fly with these guys.

I originally had the menus exactly as you describe them, but per request they were changed.

Also, thank you much for pointing out the errors i am still feeling my way around some of the beginner things, and would have probably over looked that.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool stuff, I will check again tomorrow, I'm quite busy at work, so If I see anything else tomorrow I'll be sure to add it ... If you have any questions please ask or send me a pm ...
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheaper might I suggest some smoother color transistions and rounded corners. I wouldn't want you to weigh down the site too much with images but at them same time I feel like you could do a lot with just a couple of small images like corners and background elements. I think the best way to build a website with css is to design the site and then figure out how you can streamline it with css.

Your current site is exceptionally light weight but it looks unfinished. You could put their logo over an awesome image of water and it would pop just fine. check out http://www.sxc.hu its free stock photography. Not the greatest stuff all the time but I am sure they have some water and the size is ample for web.
  • Cheap5.0
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cheap5.0

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
Cheaper might I suggest some smoother color transistions and rounded corners. I wouldn't want you to weigh down the site too much with images but at them same time I feel like you could do a lot with just a couple of small images like corners and background elements. I think the best way to build a website with css is to design the site and then figure out how you can streamline it with css.

Your current site is exceptionally light weight but it looks unfinished. You could put their logo over an awesome image of water and it would pop just fine. check out http://www.sxc.hu its free stock photography. Not the greatest stuff all the time but I am sure they have some water and the size is ample for web.

Thanks for the suggestions, i am unable to do any more untill i am home which will be later. But i will certainly keep this updated.
  • Cheap5.0
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cheap5.0

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright the logo is back up and linked to the home page for those who are interested.

I think someone mentioned rounded corners in here before. I decieded to implement that idea, now i just have to figure out how i am going to do this.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheap5.0 wrote:
Alright the logo is back up and linked to the home page for those who are interested.

Ok, now we know the logo is your home button but, what about other visitors to the site.

You mentioned that stock images might not sit well with your clients. Well, my friend, you are the designer, they hired you to do what they can't and it's your job to sell them on the idea, to show them what they can't visualize for themselves. Try adding an image or two and show it to them, if they don't like it, fine, remove it but give it a shot. Oh, and make sure you get permission to use whatever image you get.
  • Cheap5.0
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cheap5.0

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had thought of it that way, but i am pretty new to this and didn't know what boundary i should hold a firm line on and what ones i should bend on.

I'll touch it up a little once i find a good way to round my corners.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers