SITE REVIEW: Gmarvz - Web Designs

• Gmarvz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here it is guys, My newly built website! which what i think is my best looking website so far.

- please. Review it and tell me what you think: http://gmarvz.50webs.com

- And please. don't forget to sign in my guestbook: http://gmarvz.50webs.com/guestbook.htm

Note: the following navigation links/page are not yet finished:

*Contact us
*Link to us
*About Gmarvz

Note: If anyone needs my help with their website just P.M me..i'll be glad to help..for free of course!

Gmarvz - Web Designer
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is that header like MS Word or something ?
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is very sluggish to load, and I am on a 1.5M connection here. Your images need reducing, you have 168k in images, that is too much.

You have, on multiple pages, absolute positioned elements where text from one element is over-lapping text in another element. It looks like a scrambled mess of letters, not good obviously.

Your colors are ok - but perhaps try something a little that will make your site unique. There are so many blue templates out there, go out on a limb and liven it up a bit. Your header graphic is ugly and doesn't fit in with the rest of your site.

If you are considering being serious about web design, ditch the guestbook. It is unprofessional, and weird that you considered one in the first place. Guestbooks are fine for clubs and organisations, personal sites, blogs, that kind of thing. (I have assumed this is not a personal page)

For the pages you have yet to finish, either do not post links to them in the first place, OR provide a custom error page if possible.
  • boradesign.net
  • boradesign.net
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

viewd your site with FF1.5

- Not so quick web hosting, may be try other
- to simple graphics - more gradients will be good
- kids-like wed design over all

Thank you
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

*More* gradients "will be good"? Is that a joke? The entire site is replete with horizontal and vertical gradients galore. Gmarvz, you need your own web space. You can't market yourself as a web designer with a site that runs on free web space. The site lacks professionalism. Consider a course or a couple of books on graphic design.

.g
  • Gmarvz
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well as an added info..i am still an amateur web designer and i am still practicing and in the stage of continuous learning...so basically, my designs are for beginners also like me..besides i am not making it for profit..thanks for your replies..that's really what i want to hear/read for me to grow.
  • rootcomputing
  • Born
  • Born
  • rootcomputing
  • Loc: Baltimore, Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

besides i am not making it for profit..thanks for your replies..that's really what i want to hear/read for me to grow.

See that should be one thing you are worried about though. If your are supplying tutorials and templates then you need to show that you yourself know what your doing. You are a beginner, expect this kind of criticism. I remember when I first started I made so many websites and by the time I was done one I would be starting another because I learned so much. This stuff doesn't come easy and takes time. I do it on the side and have been messing with it for 3 years on and off. I am still not even good. http://www.good-tutorials.com helped me out a lot, everyday doing a few.

Use that as a resource but once you learn a skill, lose the templates, make it unique. Keep your head up. I think everyone has been in your spot. If you need help, rootcomputing@gmail.com or AIM - rootcomputing
  • Gmarvz
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi!,

- I have just made a new flash banner for my website..a little bit amateurish though..please. take a look!

http://gmarvz.50webs.com
  • mmmwowmmm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mmmwowmmm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Gmarvz,

A few general comments: If you are still in "practicing mode", and are creating websites for the experience and not for the money (yet), then you should indicate that on the home page. If I go to a website about webdesign, and the website itself has basic problems and amature looking graphics, I'm not going to be very forgiving. It's good that your trying to learn, though. Keep doing that.

I think I've said this on two other reviews, but I'll say it again: There should not be a scroll bar at the foot of your page. Do not use any graphics wider than the page (after you factor in the margins and the padding) in 800x600 mode. Always check your site in 800x600 mode. Use percentages instead of pixals to define your widths. This lets the page adjust to each person's screen regardless of the screen resolution.

I'm not sure if it's because the images are being resized, or if it's just bad graphic design, but notice how the logo on top looks "choppy". The letters are not smooth, you should redo your logo design. Beginners tend to over-do the flash stuff, but yours is ok, not to obtrusive. Just fix that logo and it'll be a lot better.

rootcomputing is right, this stuff takes time to learn. But all in all, I think you are off to a good start.
  • marvz14
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Semi-Final Design of My Website: http://gmarvz.50webs.com

-I am semi-finished in the design of my website and now i will start to make templates, banners, animated gifs and other design works for the content of my website..

Current Updates i made on the design:

*I replaced the flash banner with a much better one.
*I removed the drop down shadow effects since it is causing my pages to load slower.
*I centered the whole page for any resolutions.

now that i am semi-finished on my website's design..i want to thank you all for giving your reviews and comments about my website. i hope that i can/will continue to improve my website.

Much Respect,
Marvin Gabriel
Gmarvz-Web designs
  • cyfarian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • cyfarian

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it looks much better with the new header. I would make the right-hand portion of the header link to what each text portion says (Templates, Banners, Design Tools). Also, have your logo link back to the home page.

The website is still too wide in 800 x 600 resolution. Also, your pages are taking way too long to load. it looks like you are using a different CSS for each page. That isn't necessary. Just use one css for the entire site if they have the same styles. Also, it looks like on each page, you are naming pictures that show up on each page with different names on each page. This will kill your loading time. Once a picture loads on one page, when you go to the next page, if it has the same picture on it, with the exact same file name, then it will load from a cached version from your computer, so your load time will be SO much faster if you fix that.

I think that it looks really good (almost professional), and you are off to a great start, but I think you need to take a step back and learn the basics of good web design first.[/php]
  • _mike_
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would go for a radical overhaul for the landing page.

When I visit your site, I want to know what you have got to offer. All I see is free webtemplates, etc... but that's all... millions of those sites.

Nowhere I see a little speech, of a couple of lines, urging me to stay on your site.

When I visit your site, I want to know what makes your site different than all other sites, and why I should consider browsing it.

So shove off those featured products of yours, and place a table piece above it, containing a little promotional speech for your website

Welcome to this webdesign page, we offer various unique templates, which are especially soothing for the eye, and give your website a nice soft touch.

Something like that anyways... you have exactly 3.4 seconds to capture my attention, or i'll have hit the back button ;)

Michael
  • croft15
  • Student
  • Student
  • croft15
  • Loc: Slovakia

Post 3+ Months Ago

:handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: :handsup: great , in my opinion the perfect design , greate colors , i can't see any design problems, i'm fascinated,

I like it;'s not static, there are nice animations
  • marvz14
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks!
  • MyAnimePhoto
  • Born
  • Born
  • MyAnimePhoto
  • Loc: www.MyAnimePhoto.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

The link that has been given to your site is not working anymore ... please submit new link ...
  • Gmarvz
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://gmarvz.50webs.com
  • mae
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to consider using complimentary colors for your site so that there would be some diversity. If you're using images for hover effects, make sure that you will preload it so that when someone hovers over your links (in your menu) the hover effect would be there even if the site is still loading. I also have to agree. I think the icons look cute, did you made them yourself? :)

If you're using CSS, provide a general font for your entire site so that it will be consistent. I find it ironic somehow that you're already using a CSS but then, you're still calling on styles for every div on your page. If you want a class or id to do something then you should provide a seperate class or ID for that so the only thing you'll edit in the future is your stylesheet. :)
  • Gmarvz
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have added new templates and banners....please. check it out!
  • Gmarvz
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello guys...adding to my web-designs website...i have also mad this site: http://www.friendstercustomized.co.nr please. check it out!
  • kwik
  • kwik

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually leave the site, when something starts to follow my cursor, its annoying! and it keeps people from knowing the whole point of your site and focusing on their cursors. i would really move that!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers