SITE REVIEW: golfandgamesmemphis.com

• typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I think I am ready for this. Heh, I think everything is working except 2 pages. One is the contact form, I just havent gotten to it yet. And 2 is the links page. They havent supplied me with any links to add and I havent built the link editor/adder admin app. (im in the middle of building that. I wasnt aware that the site went live last Fri. The guy 'in charge' of that asked me when we were going live and I told him to ask the people in the office when they thought it was ready. So he asked them how it looked they said it looked fine, so he decided to go live. I was thinking I had a few more days but since it is live I am asking ya'll to come on in and lemme have it. There are a few more asthetics that I plan on (rounded corners for the content area is one of them.) The old site was every color under the rainbow so I thought I would tighten that up a bit and give it a more 'monern' feel. Anyway cant wait to be brutalized. Thanks :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quick observation - you haven't catered for "error 404 - Not Found". If you enter the url

http://golfandgamesmemphis.com/kflkfd

You'll see what I mean. If your domain is hosted in a Linux server you need to create/upload a .htaccess file into the root directory of your website. If it's a windows server ... hmmm .... no idea ... :?

Good luck.

Cheers, Prime
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey typhon,

We covered your site pretty well when we were discussing elastic layouts 'n' stuff, so not much to add at the moment. A really quick thing, though: Up to the right of "Holiday Gift Cards," there's a blue "?>" - is that code residue or something? This is on Firefox 1.5/XP.

More li'l things:

- I love the text. On my on-its-last-legs-and-killing-my-eyes monitor, the big bold text is truly easy to read.

- What do you think about making the entire link area clickable on the nav menu, instead of just the link text? Would that be feasible?

- On pages that contain photos, the top of the photos isn't aligned with the top of the first line of each paragraph. don't know if that's intentional or not.

- The link text on the "Special Offers" page seems a bit small compared to the rest. Even just a slight nudge, so that it's the size of "READ MORE..." and the "Home" and "Contact Us" links, would make it more legible.

- Are you planning to create a favicon for the site? If not, might I suggest including some identifying information in the title of each page? Simply having the section's name as the title won't keep the site from getting lost among several other open tabs. I usually precede the section name by the site's name, but in your case, that might be too long for a tab (meaning that at a glance, then, all the sections would look the same because the title might get truncated before the section name). However, if - like Ozzu - you've got a favicon, you can get away with just using the section name and still having people remember which site they've got loaded in that tab.

Hth.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well like I said I wasnt aware that the site was going live as soon as it did. I am planning on taking care of the 404 issue.

JustG I dont see the ?>(I checked in FF IE Opera and Mozilla) so I don't know what thats about. I am planning on making the entire button clickable and not just the text. The photo alignment is a margin issue that I never reset. I had originally had a 10 px marigin on all 4 sides, Im guessing that is why its a little out of alignment. Thanks for the reminder. And I am planning on adjusting the text for the special offers to match the rest of the site. As far as a favicon goes. I have been thinking about it, just havent been inspired by anything I have done. 16 x 16 is a tough size to work in......... bleh :D

Thanks for the tips and stuff. I was all ready to get blasted and picked to pieces.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi typhon,

Here ya go:
http://70.121.219.106:1979/typhon.jpg

Site text made obnoxiously large for better visibility. =] Hope it helps.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG ok I found it and yes it was some wierd artifact I dont know where the h3ll it came from. but I got rid of it I think. Thanks alot for spotting that. It wasnt blue in my browser it was the same color as the background. But it should be gone completely, again thanks so much.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome, happy to help. =]
  • grimmreaper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • grimmreaper
  • Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site looks nice although it seems a little dark, especially considering the type of business it is.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

grimmreaper wrote:
I think the site looks nice although it seems a little dark, especially considering the type of business it is.

This comming from grimmreaper -- the irony....

.comming from the garrish brightly colored previous version it is a welcome site for just about every employeeeven the owner is comming around. "Just because its dark, doesnt mean I want to slit my wrists for crying out loud!" is almost a direct quote from me to the owner. He seems to be comming around and actually seems excited by it, although it just may be the fact that its not the same thing he has been looking at for the past 7 yrs....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers