SITE REVIEW: GoogleBoards.com

• edbri871
  • edbri871

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please let me know what you think. I'm a moderator at this forum and trying to help the admin out by giving him suggestions for the site. The site relaunched just 2 days ago.

http://www.googleboards.com

Brian
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://googleboards.com/ wrote:
Board Stats
Our members have made a total of 1,933 posts
We have 230 registered members
The newest member is toddieg
Most users ever online was 29 on Dec 16 2004, 06:59 PM
Powered by Invision Power Board(Trial) v2.0.0 PDR 5 © 2005 IPS, Inc.

http://www.invisionboard.com/?triallimited wrote:
Trial Limitations
The trial version is encoded which means you are unable to view the PHP source or modify the PHP source. There are also these hard limits:

* 5000 Posts
* 1000 Topics
* 1000 Personal Messages
* 200 Members
* Bulk Mailer Disabled
* Language Editing Disabled
* SQL Toolbox Disabled
* No IPB Portal Included
* No SSI Export Facilities
* No ability to upgrade between trial versions
  • edbri871
  • edbri871

Post 3+ Months Ago

This was an older version of ipb so when they switched to the new version, the limits dropped I believe since this is no longer the current new release.
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't like the colors lol

I also really suggest borders around each of the topic names, messages etc.. its kindof hard to follow and doesn't look very neat. IMO

Besides that it looks fine. I can't really say much about the code as I have no clue about forums lol. But as someone who loves to visit them I really didn't like the no border look.

But another thing you could do if you are really set against lines would be to switch a background color back and forth?
  • MrGame.de
  • Born
  • Born
  • MrGame.de

Post 3+ Months Ago

This Homepage is very nice
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus
  • Loc: Indo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do you have to imitate google. Why not thinking to change the name to "adtech" or something like that. I thought it was a google site until i visited you site. But you have a nice color... not bad :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you get popular enough, you may have yourself a copyright issue with using google in your site's name. be careful with that and the aforementioned license issue with IPB.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it not possible for Google to maybe have some sort of copyright of the name and the colour scheme of the name (the Blue, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red)?

I know the logo isnt exactly the same as the Google one, but it is very similar.

As most people have said already, i'd be careful. I dont imagine they will be very keen to see you making some success from the site especially if you have used their site sucess without their permission.
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like the colors either. There are too many different colors. Never use more than 4 colors including text. Especially when some of them almost clash. Also the page loads kinda slow. You might want to minimize the image sizes.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

my instinct says that google will probably sue you for this. They don't mess around with anything relating to them or their name. Google has sued before and I doubt if they will keep from doing so this time.
  • NitroQuest
  • Loc: Lincoln, NE

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of the things I noticed have been covered here, but I'd like to expand and indulge ...

USE OF COLOR: There are way too many colors used throughout the site. While your first thought may be that the Google logo is color-rich, look at their site and you will not find a splattering of those colors throughout -- only in their logo. You might consider color-coding each individual forum heading with a unique color.

SEPARATION OF POSTS/REPLIES: I too had difficulty scanning from one post to the next. some sort of line separator or, better yet, alternating background colors for every other reply would be helpful.

LEGAL: Ditto to the above concerns. Start adding some more zeros after the post totals and you will be getting a call from a very large and well-organized law firm. Having dealt with trademark/copyright issues in the past, I would suggest you "out yourself" now and contact Google. Better to have them ask you to stop now rather than force you to stop after you put more work into it. Heck, they might even fork over a few bucks (Lord know they have it) in good faith for your efforts and a signed non-compete agreement.

On the bright side, I think the board has got some energy and the idea to capitalize on the Google phenomenon is witty. Good luck in whatever you choose to do, and keep us posted on the developments.

Report Card: B-
  • corepages
  • Born
  • Born
  • corepages

Post 3+ Months Ago

Despite what everybody said I like the colors. It's true when your site make you rich google will come after you for using part of his name and colors. Otherwise I like your site.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agree with every one else. googles gonna come after you . but lets see how this goes ;-)
  • greggy
  • Born
  • Born
  • greggy
  • Loc: Dallas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your colors are very articulate. Can one get in trouble by using google colors? I thought it is a registered trademark
  • razsports
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • razsports

Post 3+ Months Ago

edbri871,

Nice layout and colors. Very simple, but the point of the site is made.
The logo looks neat :)

By using the word Google, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit. The colors can not be trademarked. If that were true, I'd get a trade make for every color and sue everyone :)
  • Shadow14
  • Born
  • Born
  • Shadow14

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, didn't know google had a "board".
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

google doesn't, edbri871 moderates the board to have to do with google created by a part independent of google. This just further proves you're saying anything to get your comments in before posting your website.
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The colors can not be trademarked.

Obviously ofcourse, but if your company used certain colors in a certain pattern for your site and someone with a similar site used the same colors and patterns couldn't you get them to atleast have to change it?

For example if someone also had a forum of the same topic as Ozzu and used the exact same color scheme for everything, same background color, same font color, same link color, etc... in a way that made it obvious that they copied you. I think you may be able to atleast get them to have to change it if you pursued doing so?
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

the ozzu example is pretty weak because it's basically black and white. Unless you used their logo or images, you'd probably be fine. I do however agree that there are possible problems with trying to mimic a color scheme.
  • LogoMaid
  • LogoMaid
  • Loc: EU

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi edbri871,

Simple and clean layout, but maybe u can try only combinaton of 2 or 3 corors....maybe blue, green and gray...
Also i don like shiny blue text color on forum headers....dark gray would be better.
Logo is nice. Try to find some better icons for users and statistics :D

Jan
  • _jfc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • _jfc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps you should limit the vibrant colors to a single area like the logo and keep the rest more clean. I like the board though, its a nice concept!
  • varunbihani
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • varunbihani
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi
really board is very simple and eye catching..
I think you can place some more google ads and fill the space in between .. lots of white space is there in the posts..

green color is not matching with white and blue.. better change it to some more lighter color like pink ..

Title is also not appropriate.. do not use "->" between the titles..

there is really strong need to fill in the white spaces..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers