SITE REVIEW: Gotta Play Games

• Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello my name is Chris, I am 14 years old. Here is my website it's called gottaplaygames and it has about 100 games right now (more to come, it's only been out for about two days now) I know it's not great (and not a .com site) but I think it's ok for a 14 year old :D

Please rate it and give me comments and questions,
and an over [out of/ 10] review!

GottaPlayGames
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's looking pretty good so far, I'de give it a 7.9000049 out of 10. I've never done an online game website before, but they must be difficult to to because you want to present all the games you can so that you can get you website visitors to come back time and time again. But at the same time you want to keep them clutter free, so far yours is about as all-inclusive as it can get without being a jumbled mess. The first thing I would change would be the google ads at the bottom of the page. Currently they are vertical with a big empty square space to the right. I would redo them so that they are horizontal and right next to the links area. That way you eliminate that empty space. Other than that it is looking pretty nifty!
  • bauger
  • Born
  • Born
  • bauger

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always like these little site that have games on them. I enjoy playing some of these simple games because it doesn't require much to play unlike the games these days. Nice site Chris
  • 100mbwebhosting
  • Born
  • Born
  • 100mbwebhosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool website!
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, oh and kc0tma I fixed the ads but there still under the links, but theres no more gap :)
  • maahan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice to hear , the site looks really neat..
you can try to move that ads (those google ads currently below links section) to more top.. maybe in the middle to get more clicks on that.

and the header(logo) graphic looks like little blured (those texts)..
add some colorfull pictures in the logo too.

thanks !
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll see what I can do. I see what your talking about with the logo and i'll try to fix it, it probably was a problem during uploading because it looks good on my PC.
  • twalters84
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • twalters84
  • Loc: Mount Savage, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,

You are only 14? Thats about the age I got started ;)

Your website is designed nicer than a lot of professional sites I see.

However, looking at your source code, there are a few things you can improve.

1. Even though people can use style sheets on the page you are created, it helps putting style attributes in a seperate file. Search the net for style.css to see what I am talking about.

2. I would get your website to be W3C compliant. This helps compatibility across different browsers. Check out http://validator.w3.org/ for a great validation service. Just type your URL there. Do not be discouraged about the number of errors. 1 small error usually turns out to be like 50 on there.. one error leads to another.. and another.. and so on and so forth.

3. If you want to get recognized by search engines, get familiar with SEO discussion threads. There are a lot of great tips out there.

4. Where do you get your games at? Make sure you do not break any copyright infringement laws - using somebody elses work. It is probably not a big deal if you are 14, but once you are 18 then you may get in trouble for that. If you can create your own flash work, then bravo! There are some sites where people can create pretty nice games for low costs.

It looks like you know some PHP too.

Overall, your site design is great. I hope you find my suggestions useful.

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
admin@codebuyers.com
  • wooly
  • Born
  • Born
  • wooly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site looks great although I hate the way that you cannot return to your previous site you were at by pressing the back button.
Pet hate of mine.
  • idkwot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • idkwot

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site bro
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

twalters84 wrote:
Hey there,

You are only 14? Thats about the age I got started ;)

Your website is designed nicer than a lot of professional sites I see.

However, looking at your source code, there are a few things you can improve.

1. Even though people can use style sheets on the page you are created, it helps putting style attributes in a seperate file. Search the net for style.css to see what I am talking about.

2. I would get your website to be W3C compliant. This helps compatibility across different browsers. Check out http://validator.w3.org/ for a great validation service. Just type your URL there. Do not be discouraged about the number of errors. 1 small error usually turns out to be like 50 on there.. one error leads to another.. and another.. and so on and so forth.

3. If you want to get recognized by search engines, get familiar with SEO discussion threads. There are a lot of great tips out there.

4. Where do you get your games at? Make sure you do not break any copyright infringement laws - using somebody elses work. It is probably not a big deal if you are 14, but once you are 18 then you may get in trouble for that. If you can create your own flash work, then bravo! There are some sites where people can create pretty nice games for low costs.

It looks like you know some PHP too.

Overall, your site design is great. I hope you find my suggestions useful.

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
admin@codebuyers.com

Thanks for the great suggestion, I know how to use SEO but the problem with that is everytime I try to use SEO it makes all my game pages go blank. I also know .css but don't use to much of it since it's becoming an older type of coding. Your suggestions are very helpful and I will try my best to put them in my site. The games that are on my site are games that are free to redistribute. I know some flash but i'm not the best at it.

Thanks for the help,
Chris :D
  • twalters84
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • twalters84
  • Loc: Mount Savage, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,

How does SEO make your pages go blank? Internal website SEO involves changing titles, meta data tags, keywords, content, etc.

I would not say CSS is out-dated. Its better than coding websites with a table structure. If you are talking about flash websites, there is still CSS involved - at least there should be.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
admin@codebuyers.com
  • maketop
  • Born
  • Born
  • maketop

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's looking pretty good. keep it up, good luck!
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmm... I'll try SEO again, but it may make my website pages go blank. :(
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad - well done :D

Quote:
I also know .css but don't use to much of it since it's becoming an older type of coding.

Just curious, what do you think is superseding CSS :?:

Cheers, Prime ... :D
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh... I'm just saying that css will become the html of the day. There are brand new technologies and coding coming forth and I can't wait to see what comes next. :)
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I tried SEO again and everytime I click on a link it goes to my 404 page!
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO is a many headed beast, when you say you're trying SEO and generating 404 errors exactly what are you attempting to do :?: Obvious and simple SEO enhancements to your domain could include the use of "alt" and "title" tags on your images and hyperlinks. You can also try your hand at some "url rewriting" if you want to get sexy. Ensure your copy text is keyword rich and add some meta tags to your code.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Prime ... :D
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll see what I can do. :/
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again, more problems.
I'll probably have to pull an all nighter to get all the links and image url's to work.
  • remarked
  • remarked

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

I liked it. Not to sure about the colour scheme, but it works for me. 14? Well done..

cheers
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks remarked. I'm working on a new design on it so soon it should be looking a little more easier on the eyes and it shall have more colors :)
  • moree
  • Born
  • Born
  • moree

Post 3+ Months Ago

great site!
  • Design_Chris
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, anymore ratings/ cooments?
  • kwiatek
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good site, and have you done it yourself? Good job) I like it, it's simple, nice games and in general it is very cute
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks nice. You clearly have massive potential. One thing i might advise is that you set the navigation links to display: block;

You have half relied on tables for the layout.. I think I was 14 when I started to switch to div tags instead
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a great site with a lots of online games.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

zhaira wrote:
It was a great site with a lots of online games.

lol what kind of review is that?
  • supersteve9219
  • supersteve9219

Post 3+ Months Ago

that site is great for a 14 year old and a great website just that I think there are just to many online game sites already. I hope you get some users!
  • DPZero
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmz, the page will not load for me :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 37 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers