SITE REVIEW: Oh great, another programming blog.

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just realized I launched this a little while back and hadn't started a review for it. I'm looking for the usual (constructive criticism, suggestions, etc). I'm playing around with a couple other designs at the moment and am having trouble deciding on whether to keep this one or not, so the feedback here will be much appreciated.

http://jefflinse.com

*Note: If you end up posting some bogus two-word review here for the sake of satisfying your review requirements, I will bring upon you the fires of a thousand suns. You don't want that.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks great. Very clean and valid strict markup. Simple, just the way the web should be.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can handle five hundred sun's fires ... not a thousand :)

It's pretty much a standard web page ... simple, conveys its information well ... I don't mind the blue, but a bit of other colours would be nice.

There are two things that niggle me, though ... the navigation on the side and the name at the top.

I'm not really a fan of all caps, especially in such a standard font ... and it feels a tad too close to the content ... maybe move it out 10 pixels or so ...

The name just doesn't feel right sitting there on the top line ... like it's falling into the pits of doom. Reflections are over-used, I think. I'd rather a half reflection ... where it gradually fades away and you can only see half the reflection.

Also, the contact page has the same content as the home page.

As I would expect from you, it's valid :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with what Breeze has said. It's clean and nice. I like about the link to downloads. It's clear-cut. Hmm, I don't know about others, but I feel it's very geeky sounded--Your website. I would visit again.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks cipher, Breeze, and George.

Breeze wrote:
I'm not really a fan of all caps, especially in such a standard font ... and it feels a tad too close to the content ... maybe move it out 10 pixels or so ...

Well technically it's in smallcaps, but a bit hard to tell now that you mention it. I have the menu aligned roughly with the header text, which is why it is where it is.

Breeze wrote:
Reflections are over-used, I think. I'd rather a half reflection ... where it gradually fades away and you can only see half the reflection.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I don't want it looking like another run-of-the-mill "Web 2.0-style" site, and I've been considering removing that all together.

I haven't gotten around to adding my contact page yet which is why it currently redirects to the homepage.

George L. wrote:
It's clear-cut. Hmm, I don't know about others, but I feel it's very geeky sounded--Your website.

Well, it's targeted towards developers, so yeah, I would hope it sounds geeky ;)

Thanks again guys!
  • gsexdotus
  • gsexdotus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks bro
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jackdelamare
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jackdelamare
  • Loc: Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a nice simple design which works well. I like the colours and simplicity of the overall page. The navigation thing is always great, and the links on the side have a nice but simple font to work well with the design.

I take it you work with Visual Basic too?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks.

I used to do VB work a long time ago, why do you ask?
  • jackdelamare
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jackdelamare
  • Loc: Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I'm quite interested in VB.net. I've started working on some programs like a web browser, media player and stuff. I find it fun to be able to make programs, it's just for my web browser, i'm trying to add tabs. It's soooo hard!

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic, very cool website.
  • kiranganta
  • kiranganta

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks good.You can keep it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers