SITE REVIEW: GrinchyNet

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have put a lot of work into this site. It has been "live" for a bit. This is my first real attempt at a site that is strictly CSS. I redid all navigation to use CSS instead of images. I am quite impressed with myself and would like the opinions of my fellow Ozzuers. I am still not done with the code or the site. I still have a lot of content to add.

http://www.grinchynet.net
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

it looks pretty good overall. it's pretty easy to navigate.

::edit::

okay so don't take this super personal but it looks plain. you can do some photoshop work on your links to make them stand out a bit. Also you might want to use different shades of green because the shades you are using make it seem dull and sad. that's just an opinion of mine.

also on the navigation. i don't like how when you click a link, a link disappears. that's kinda odd.

well work on that and let me see the new results.

i know you spent a lot of time on this so don't take this too personal, it's only constructive critism.
  • alnuke
  • alnuke

Post 3+ Months Ago

overall this website is good.

you can put some dynamic content s in your website to make it more interesting.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as dull looking, that is the look I went for. This site isn't about being flashy. The navigation is pure CSS, no images are used and that is what I wanted. When you click say the link that goes to my Me page that link doesn't disappear, it is replaced. The only navigation is the navigation needed. Once on my Me page, do you need a button for that page?

Back to the dull colors. If you didn't notice, the site is called GrinchyNet and my nickname is Grinch. The Grinch is not a happy flashy guy. He is grumpy sourpuss. He is also green which is why the site is green.

I am not taking your criticism personally, I am just trying to relay my reasons for how I designed the site.

@alnuke
What do you mean by dynamic content?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this all the review I am going to get?? Come on people.
  • death_eather9293
  • death_eather9293

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: what the heck the site design and logo stinks. no offense. other than that, it's pretty cool. easy to navigate too.
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

The banner has got to go. You can get a dull grumpy effect on the banner and make it look a ton better than that. But I am impressed with your ability to use only css (dull and grinchy css at that) and pull it off well. Good luck with the site.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

death_eather9293 wrote:
:shock: what the heck the site design and logo stinks. no offense. other than that, it's pretty cool. easy to navigate too.

If your going to make a review you need to be a bit more descriptive than it stinks. And then to turn around and say it is pretty cool. You make no sense.

The banner was made for me a long time ago. I have zero skill when it comes to making banners and such, so until someone make me a better one that one will stay.
  • dustin_klug
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dustin_klug

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's ok. However, you should work with photoshop to make the appearance more interesting. Think about placing there a gallery.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would photoshop do to make the apearance more interesting? The only image I have on the entire site is the logo.

What do I need a gallery for?
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like how you remove links to the current page in the left navigation bar. However, instead of removing the link, try making it non-clickable and give it a different color. This gives a visual handle on the person's location within the site. Otherwise, navigating the site gives the strange feeling of uneasiness that I get when using a command line.

grinch2171 wrote:
What would photoshop do to make the apearance more interesting? The only image I have on the entire site is the logo.

Add more bloat so I can have time to think up curses about how long it takes to load. That would be interesting. :roll:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is actually on my list of things to do. The first time I tried it it screwed up so I put it on the back burner for now.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

My dear grinchy :)

Here are my suggestions:

The graphic at the top is very pixelated and doesn't look as good as it could. I do like the colours in the text though and the glow around the outside.

The red text is very difficult to read on that dark background. I would consider to use white or yellow. Where the red is used for links considering using white or yellow, but making them bold to stand out.

Quote:
You can contact me about whatever you want to. I really don't care. I have e-mail addresses and I have the blog where you can leave nasty little notes if you wish. I also have the ability to block you if necessary. I may even make a guestbook for you to leave messages on but I don't know yet. Guestbooks are kind of old school lame. Anyway, like I said, contact me if you wish to.

I love that nonchalant air about you :D

Good work on the CSS, its a nice and clean file.
xxx
  • quest
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • quest

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Grinch,
your comments page at blog is not showing up, it gives the XML contents
Here is that
http://www.grinchynet.net/blog/latestcomments.php

As this is your personal site I think it would be more fruitful if you have a guestbook. Its quite confusing about the difference between "Articles" and "Archive" at the blog. You can give some mouseover texts. Well http://grinchynet.net has no Google rank.
But overall, yes I like it :)
  • dustin_klug
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dustin_klug

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:

Sorry, I haven't thought it exactly. I'm not talking about this one image but generally layout. You can make it more interesting. For explample you can use some dynamic components.

grinch2171 wrote:
What do I need a gallery for?

Gallery or pics will make it more alive. For example, some pics of your family.

I don't want to criticize you, there are only my suggestions. It's made very well, but still can be better.
My regards.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

quest wrote:
Hi Grinch,
your comments page at blog is not showing up, it gives the XML contents
Here is that
http://www.grinchynet.net/blog/latestcomments.php

As this is your personal site I think it would be more fruitful if you have a guestbook. Its quite confusing about the difference between "Articles" and "Archive" at the blog. You can give some mouseover texts. Well http://grinchynet.net has no Google rank.
But overall, yes I like it :)

Latest Comments is an RSS feed for the latest comments posted. It's part of the Blog software that I am using. Articles is also part of the software and so far I haven't used it. I could change the comments link to say Comments RSS or take it out completely as I don't know anyone who is that concerned with the comments people post to need an RSS feed or it.

A photo gallery s an idea I am kicking around but I am reluctant to do it due to the unwillingness of my wife wanting pictures of my family on the internet.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love it! I love nice, clean layouts and lightning-fast load times. For what it's meant to be, it seems pretty perfect to me.

Nitpicks:

I agree with Sam on the navigation. What you've got now is different, not bad at all. Still, because it's different, it may prove confusing to some. From a usability perspective, my complaint is that when looking through a whole site, I glance at the menu and frequently don't look again when clicking, because I've already seen the order of the links. Consequently, I found myself unintentionally returned to certain pages because the link I thought was next on the list, wasn't.

The content of your "Contact" and main "Poetry" pages doesn't seem to have the same width as that of the others. When I click on those links, the page shrinks a bit (Firefox 1.5/XP).

Hth.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I plan on rewrking the navigation. I see the point in leaving the buttons there for simplicity sake.

I assure you that the widths are exactly the same on every page. What happens is, when the content extends below the veiwers screen a vertical scroll bar shows up therefore changing the width of the viewers screen. If there is a way to combat this then I am all ears. But as I said, all widths are the same and controlled by CSS and are set statically.

Thank you for the well formed review.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Grinchy,

*blush* Err, well yes, I sort of forgot about the vertical scrollbar appearing. And of course, the page doesn't shrink at all, it just shifts to the left, as it should. Sorry.. no sleep 'n' all *grumble*... Carry on. :p

- G
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problems. When I was first adding content I thought the same thing as you as I was shifting through pages but quickly realised it was due to the vert scroll bar.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just an update, I adjusted the navigation so you know where you are. No more disappearing buttons. I also added a simple sitemap.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooooh, and Googly Ads too. Ads on the left if the page is long enough, else horizontally on the bottom. I like that, it works very well.

But your blog page seems to be messed up. At the moment, the Google Ads are positioned vertically to the right of your nav menu, and your content is pushed way way down below the ads.

Aaaaand I just refreshed and it's fixed now. The only reason I'm not deleting the comment is so that if you weren't working on it at the time, you can keep an eye on it.

me.html, family.html and poetry.html are missing the link to the Sitemap.

Not all your pages have headers up top. Does the Sitemap page need it?

- G

P.S. "The Grinch Who Stole This Blog" is giggleworthy, thanks for that. =]
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So someone did catch my little mistake with placing the ads on the blog?

The missing sitemap links are now back where they should be.

Good call on the Sitemap header, it was a bit redundant.

The Googly Ads were an afterthought. I created an Adsense account a long time ago and decided I would put them to use. If they earn me some extra money then so be it. I did my best to make them as unobtrusive as possible and I think i did a fairly decent job on that.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have updated my layout once again. Feel free to comment.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't hate me. Just nit-picky (I've always liked your site, btw).

On your SAV (note SAV, not NAV -- Symantec uses SAV for Corporate Edition and NAV for Norton home editions -- ignore that if you intentionally used it as a keyword) tutorial preinstall page ( http://www.grinchynet.net/tutorials/ins ... preinstall ) You have Terminal Services spelled "erminal Services". Also in this line you are missing an end quotation mark after Server Group:
Quote:
These services can be re-enabled after the "Server Group has been successfully installed and tested.

As a suggestion for your tute, it should also be noted that prior to installing the Security Console, (at least with version 10) Any prior version of the Security Console needs to be uninstalled first and the client upgraded to the current version. (This is per Symantec's install instructions) Nice tute, btw. That sucker can be a pain in the butt to install and roll out.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not hating you. Thanks for pointing those out. I'll add that bit about the console. I thought it would be a useful tut to have out there as it can be a huge PITA if you are not careful.
  • webanmtr
  • webanmtr

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site is pretty easy to navigate...

from a design standpoint I would think about font and maybe color a bit. Maybe make the font that says 'grinchy net' similar to the rest of the site? just a small idea...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you talking about the font on the Logo? Why would I want the logo font and the site font the same?

The site has color and that probably won't change unless I get tired of it. But to explain the coloring, I am a very simple man, the Grinch is green and I spent 9 years in the Marine Corps and happen to like drab green coloring.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers