SITE REVIEW: Gruber.ICT Internet Directory

• gruber
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • gruber
  • Loc: Croatia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,
I created this site few days ago. It is Internet Directory with what I belive are good links.

http://gruber.freehostia.com
Main idea was for this site to be light so there is not much graphic - I belive the content will grow with time.
Site still got lot of work on it but main concept is there, and design is there to stay with small changes (I am rewriting html with tables for layout to xhtml and all the layout is in css).
First page on English is already redesigned with xhtml and css so you can compare it with rest of the site.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, nice job with having everything XHTML compliant. No errors found by the validator.

OK, my first impression upon visiting your site is a sense of incompleteness. I definitely can see the look you're going for with the minimalistic design, and I myself am a very big advocate of simplicity. However, the site just feels too... jagged, rough, unfinished to me. I think the main thing causing this is the presence of those lines that just seem to end randomly. I'm sure there's a method to your design there, but it didn't hit me upon first impression.

When I click on "Main Page", the content is the same as your homepage, but the design is different. Not sure if this is intentional.

Regarding your design, again, I like the simplicity, but even a few graphics here and there might help to keep a visitor's attention. People don't like pages with just text, it gets boring.

Another aspect I think you could improve deals with the grey bar on the left. At the bottom of your pages, the grey bar inverts itself with the left-most column, which become grey to the bottom of the page. I think if you did this at the top as well, the design would look much more consistent. Have the left-most column shaded grey from the crosshair-ish intersection of lines up until the black line under your logo.

In your navigation, "Manuals&e-books" should be "Manuals & e-Books" (note the spaces).

Finally, I'd make your top logo a link to your homepage, and in your navigation, disable the link of whatever page you are currently on.

You're off to a good start, and I like what you have so far. I have to be up for a while tonight and your site didn't pour me a cup of coffee, so I'm going to have to dock a point for that, but other than that, nice job. Good luck.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

In addition to some images and a little more color as spork was talking about, the entire content of the page seems a little small in my monitor (17 inch, 1024X768). It might help to have it fill the entire height and be a bit wider.
  • interec
  • interec

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use firefox web browser and when I try to open your website in my browser, I get an error message saying "Problem loading page." Is your website down?
  • gruber
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • gruber

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was down for few hours - host had some problems.
Now it is up again.
Thx for the comments spork, they are really constructive.

The design change was because at the time I was changing all the pages from HTML with tables to XHTML with just css design (it is fixed now).
I will try to improve site with some graphics in next few days.
  • gruber
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • gruber

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, I completly recoded this site, so now it uses mysql and has completly dynamic content. Also I moved it to payed host so it should run faster.. new adress of the site is
http://freeware.odlican.net
I would like if someone could review it and give me comments regarding the speed, rating (my script) and all in all feeling.

I will deal with redesign of the site after I finetune the dynamic content.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers