SITE REVIEW: GuyanaNet

• soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I've been doing this site for an ISP which I'm not too pleased with but I also think it's ok. However I do wanna hear your views on it so please tell me what you think of it.

http://www.guyana.net.gy/

Thanks.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, the site is fine in terms of layout and design, it looks nice, has a nice feel, looks professional, not so sure if it looks like an ISP, looks more like a site that someone has made who like websites and things and wants to show there work off, thats just my impression though, i still think it's a nice design however the load time, it is really bad, it's the slowest site I have come accross so far, i basically could of read all your content in the time the images and links took to load

your images appear to be simple designs so they shouldn't be too large in size, did you optimise them?

it could be the server where it's hosted, whatever it is, it seriously took a while to load

all in all keep up the good work
  • rumka
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • rumka
  • Loc: Russian Federation

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi;

I think the site could have had more proffessional seem. I recommend you to work a little bit on the color scheme and the menu items. And also for a web site visitors, first impression is very important. So please optimize your site and design elements on the site, because it takes too long to load for a html web site.

Good luck.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, almost a 30 second load up time, very bad. Especially if you're promoting an ISP, you'd better make sure things load up fast. Honestly, I think the site looks professional and has a good cutting edge feel to it. It does have more of a web designer's touch to it than a ISP, but I think its alright. The options are clear and the navigation is great, so what more can you ask for. Just from the general atmosphere of the site, I get the feeling this is a fairly small company thats on the rise, not one of the bigger fish in the market. The site just doesnt give me the impression that this company is THE company. They may very well be one of the best, but I just didnt get that from the site. And just one last comment, you should put all your css style elements in an external .css file and just reference it. Makes your code cleaner and easier to read. Everything else looks great.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

daremedy wrote:
Wow, almost a 30 second load up time

what connection are you on? because for me it took even longer, it literally took minutes, it loaded the main page in bout 20 seconds then i could actually read things but the images where not loaded for about another 2 minutes after that

i'm on 750k broadband and it should not take that long at all so some optimization is definatly needed
  • Corey
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Corey

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks nice and is easy to get around, the backround is kind of bright, other than that it looks nice. Really slow loading time to.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

it only took 10 for mine to load
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh...i know about the loading and I keep telling them about the loading. The loading time has nothing to do with the site layout and images. In fact all the images add up to less than 100K and the index file is about 13K which is a little big but trust me it would last faster.

The problem is the server it is hosting on. It's way slow and you guys definitely convinced me on that. (I love this place) Yeah, honestly the server is local and to tell you the truth...it sucks as you all can see. I am going to upload it to another server tomorrow though and then I'll let you check load time.

Now about the layout...One person said this seems to be a small company and that person hit the nail direct. It's fairly big but I designed the website around the information I had which is what you see.

Thanks for all comments which enlightened on alot about my designing. Thanks also for waiting for that page to load.
  • floydus
  • Born
  • Born
  • floydus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, there,
I agree with the other fellow who suggest to revise the color scheme, also, took 30 seconds to load, way too long...

Nice !
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

yo, i donno if you have moved servers or not yet but i am assuming you have because it loads so much faster now, it's basically loading in about- 2-4 seconds, the full site that is, nice work man and the colour shceme i do like it but there is something odd about it, i can't pick out what, lots of others recommend you to change your colour scheme i'm not so sure what i think is wrong with it i think you might just need a little tweaking here and there
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

The font color and style choice on the entrance page (other pages are okay) makes it a tad hard to read for those of us over 40 (and I am near sided, actually!). I also could barely read the virus scroll section, and the learn more buttons because of font choice.

Because the site is an ISP, it should be a bit faster loading. For the average site the load time was okay, but you want a faster impression for ISPs or web hosts.

The overall design is nice, so *kudos*
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well...I'm gonna fix the loading...and I'll look into all the fonts color because for this site I must cater for ppl over 40 as well.

For those of you that's opting for me to teak the color scheme..you must at least point out to me why. You see blue is my fav color and it's hard to see what you might be seeing. The thing is almost every comment suggested a change in color scheme...Oh and btw the business color is blue and white acutally. So i'm also designing by identity.

Thanks for all comments. Keep 'em coming.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK...I'm willing point out what i think is up with the color scheme...Guys...lemme know if it's this you're talking about.

With the site design...i made good use of white space (i think in my opinion) but what's probably buggin the color scheme is the fact that there's white inside the layout while the bg carries another color that might be contrasting to the layout. I'm not sure. I looked at it and that's the only think i could think of that's causes all the opinions on color change. Let me know. Thanks.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i was a first time viewer, which indeed i was, i would have thought "nice site".

I like the design, as mentioned by almost everyone (why stop the trend) the loading time isnt great and could be better, but you have mentioned you are going to sort this. Deirdre mentioned something i was just thinking (but thought it would only be me that thought this) about the Virus scoll being not so easy to read. The blue when moving on a white background is not as comfortable to focuss on therefore making it harder to read than other parts of the site. If that part was, lets say a different shade of blue, then i think you could have yourself a better section.

But as i said at the beginning of this post, i like the site. I think its a good achievement as its quite easy to navigate through.

Well done.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

The server admin for this ISP is an ass that's for sure. I'm tellin him it's the server that's slow and he's tellin me its the site that's too big. I've got sites with images more than a 100K and loads faster than this. Plus all the images for the main page comes up to 98K and the sub pages..well that's suppose to blaze up on a good server. cuz that's hex codes and few images only in the header...

I've optimized the images to the max and all. Heh.

I've edited the virus box to make it easier on the eyes...Lemme know if it works. I'd rather the white...but i'd like for a 40 year to tell me if it's easier on their eyes :roll:
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

he said to check back load time cuz he cached the images...so it should be loading faster..lemme know if it's so cuz i wanna know if this idiot knows what he's doing. Me and him safe tho..we're friends...but i still think he's an idiot...lol.

About the virus box...thanks for the tip. I'll look into it and try another shade of color.

made the change to the virus section

Oh this is like a disclaimer i think:
If any have you managed to have browse the portfolio part of the site please note that I DID NOT in any way design any of those sites. And I'm truly sorry that through revewing something I've posted led you to such horror on the web. Thanks for listening.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

the site seems to be running at decent speeds for me now, and is it hosted on a free host?

because at the moment i use free hosts, got 2 of them and one of them is sometimes really slow even if i optimise my images to the max, but i will be buying hosting soon so i can't wait hehe

by the way about your site and the colour scheme, i couldn't put my finger on it what it was about the colour and i don't know if other people think it's this but your top area, the logo and the links i think they look a little dull and need a bit of brigtening and contrast doing to them, i can't explain clearly, i don't mean dull in a bad way because i think your site is great and i myself personally love blue as a colour to design with but something just tells me that the top section all looks a little duller than it could look, like you have lowered the contrast and brigtness too much

don't know if this will help or not and it's only my opinion and i have done a few layouts with blue in so i would like to think i know what i am talking about otherwise i will feel stupid now :roll:

other than that reducing the white a sligh bit might make it look ok, i think it's the white what maybe making your blue look too dull, but you need blue and white as it was requested i understand that, you could just lower it a bit though.

anyways i hope i have helped you with my opinions
  • Jaw
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm on a T1 in the states and this puppy is still slow loading. But really your target market is whomever is within the ISPs client region. If the pages load fast for those potential clients that is all that really matters.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jaw wrote:
I'm on a T1 in the states and this puppy is still slow loading. But really your target market is whomever is within the ISPs client region. If the pages load fast for those potential clients that is all that really matters.

T1, wow extremely fast them connections right?

my is alot slower than that and the site now loads withing about 2-4 seconds
  • nxb22833
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nxb22833

Post 3+ Months Ago

It took a long time to load for me. The Background makes it too uniform. I will change it. The Bottoms can be develop a little be more.

Other than that, I will go for it.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting point bout the bg..maybe white..what do you think?

The load time is just the server...I guess the output bandwidth is low...not sure. Trying to get it on a better server.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its looks good .. like a professional site. The blue colour looks good. It takes time because of slicing i guess? You can make a better logo.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers