Voting Chart

Total votes : 7

How Do You Like My Site 1-10 (10 being best!)

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

SITE REVIEW: HaloFreaks

• Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Umm, not exactly sure...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys I am editing this first post for a couple of reasons. for 1 I am almost done with the site now let me really start talking.

I have had fun designing my own site. Although I know it is not the best in the world but hey, it is fun. Now here is the link, >Halo Freaks< Ok, now Here is what I need. I need at least 4 admin's for my site that would be willing to help me put Halo 1/2 videos on every day. I also need help with other things.

If you want to be an admin get msn's free messenger. Or just PM me. I DO NOT HAVE AIM!!! I am not allowed to dl the free AIM either. So get MSN Or just PM me. You should like HALO or Halo 2.

Okay, Now go ahead and drop me a line if you WANT to be a site admin with me or something. Now if you mess up my site, I will change my password. I also have a program for the site that knows who hacks into it, so if you want to be an admin email or PM me and I will add your name in the program so it doesn't f*ck up your computer. Now, go ahead and drop me a line, and also give me a 1-10 on my pole at the top :wink:

Jepps
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

For a 13 year old, I'm impressed. Its a lot better than some other sites I've seen from adults. I'll treat your site as equally as the others and toss in some recommendations. The huge blackspace you have surrounding your Halo Freaks logo is a big problem. I can tell that because of that circular image on the top it'll be hard to move your tables up, but try and work with the design and not leave so much black space there. It eats up nearly 50% of the screen when you load up, just a waste of space.

Also the white Halofreaks image has got to change either to green or black. The white just comes out of nowhere. Take it easy with the font size under that image! I know you want to tell people that this is THE place for Halo, but you can still get the same effect with a smaller font. Just viewing your site, I get a very "big" impression, everything is just big. Your How To Trick page is well done, try and make your front page look a little more like that. The images for Halo 1/2 Movies arent too good, try and stick to one style of image, make them all like the image you used for the How To Trick page. Your Halo Tricks 1 page is too wide, I had to scroll from left-to-right to view it all. The rest seems pretty cool.

Its definitely a work in progress and its obvious that you have a passion for Halo, so you'll definitely come up with a lot of ideas as you make this site your own. Great job man.
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey man thanx. I am working on the html, but it is hard, but i like the way you think. i mean some people have no passion for game sites. and i guess for a kid it is good. but i also have been getting help, but they are 14 and 15. ill do some stuf to it to make it look better thanx
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Here your gonna find evreything from how to trick to just beating the game

Spelling mistake -> should be "everything".

One this you absolutely have to do...remove the dots that follow the mouse around. They are really irritating, and if I ever come across a site like that, I don't stay too long.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a halo fan too. I love that game.
Well your site is ok for your age...far better than what i could have done at that age. The javescript that you have with the stars shooting towards the pointer is funny cuz i kep moving the pointer around...lol...yeah i'm bored. Well the content is nice cuz i'm gonna need those tricks. Keep learning. gj
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thing about the mouse effect...when it comes in from the right, you get a horizontal scrollbar...
  • Phantom
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Phantom

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site, specifically, the halo part of it. :D

It's pretty good, esp. for your age. The only thing I don't really like is that everything seems so separated. As in chopped up with no content besides one sentence or two. Other than that, I think its good. =)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I see you haven't updated your site yet with people's comments. I'll try to not repeat what's already been mentioned on here.

You logo should be improved, I'm not getting much of a "halo" feel to it. I don't have a lot of experience with Halo, but I do play games and this site doesn't really have much of a gaming site feel at all. Add some more graphics .

Your "walk-through" make it more user friendly. People don't like to scroll endlessly! Either chop it up into sections with a hyperlinked TOC and/or make a downloadable version.

In your videos section, you need to let ppl know what format your vids are in. Not everyone can access wmv and finding out AFTER they've downloaded that can be pretty annoying. Also I think you can really work better with the space on that page. Too much scrolling right now, I'd chop the list in two and align them horizontally.

gain on your last link about the tricks, too much scrolling involved. If ppl go to that page looking for a specific trick, having to scroll through the page isn't going to make them very happy and they may end up leaving. I'd put a TOC at the top and hyperlink it to the questions below.

Stick to one font face. Red on green background doesn't mesh too well either.

You need to work on your keywords & description meta data. You can't really use what you have right now ;)

Code: [ Select ]
<meta name="keywords" content="sore thumbs,bloodshot eyes, and the willing to keep playing">

<meta name="description" content=" html  body  h1 This is a  h3 little /h3  Halo 1 and 2 website /h1  body  html ">
  1. <meta name="keywords" content="sore thumbs,bloodshot eyes, and the willing to keep playing">
  2.     <meta name="description" content=" html  body  h1 This is a  h3 little /h3  Halo 1 and 2 website /h1  body  html ">

Link your jvs through an external file

If you're going to use css to declare your fonts, don't use inline fonts as well (I'd stick to using css to declare styles on your fonts). I also noticed this in your code
<font color="#228195" size="+4" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial"><font color="#DCF7CE" size="6">

when you are using inline font declarations, there is no need to use the tag twice. Stick all the information in ONE tag. Not sure though why you have two sizes?

I also don't know why you're using empty font tags?
<font face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial" size="2" color="#DCF7CE"></font>

I noticed that you did that a few times. No need to. Remove them.

The text near the bottom "Thanx To You People Who Have Come Here" should be reworded and every first letter of the word shouldn't be capitalized. You only do that when it's a proper name of a person or a company or location. You could say something along the lines of "Thanks to everyone for visiting my site" or something like that. If you stick to the wording you used. Change it to this "Thanks to you people who have come here"

Hope this all helps :)
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

katana wrote:
Quote:
Here your gonna find evreything from how to trick to just beating the game

Spelling mistake -> should be "everything".

One this you absolutely have to do...remove the dots that follow the mouse around. They are really irritating, and if I ever come across a site like that, I don't stay too long.

agreed, i navigate away as quick as humanly possible.

poly
  • missingbtvs
  • Born
  • Born
  • missingbtvs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep up the good work, you are off to a good start. The dots give me headaches thought, they are not needed. I would put some work into the logo also.

Overall, I am very impressed with the site for your age!
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off HL2 owns Halo :P But staying on topic the sites good but considering this sites for Halo needs some pics of the game.. When I see the green it just doesnt go with the site.... I know that the freewebs offers premade sites... try http://www.Geocities.com and try to create a site from scatch..(great for noObs for web design FREE also) GJ so far but you want your audience to see your passion for Halo...
  • ssBrian
  • ssBrian

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont really like the colors at all, the greens a little over saturated. also try not using a pagebuilder to build it, i wouldnt really judge work on someones age either seeing how im 14 and i judge my work as proffesional work (signalstage.com is my portfolio)
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

im not even interested in commenting on the technical stuff here.....when I was thirteen I was I was too busy spinning on my head and listening to grandmaster flash ...I give you two thumbs up for the effort alone.

Luck favours those who take action. Well done kiddo!

RJ
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

uh yeah one of u said that they liked the following cursor effect ............ he didnt make that its an option if uve ever seen it on freewebs but i must say the first page is well done for a freewebs site but none of the other pages work
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, I have almost finished my site now. Spoof has given me help with the template and logo and stuff, btw thanx for all the grat comments 8)
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have dpdated my site even with a forum chck it out now :wink:
  • web-rover
  • web-rover
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was still figuring out how to use the cd rom when i was 13.

Nice job, and good luck with the new site.
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

web-rover wrote:
I was still figuring out how to use the cd rom when i was 13.

Nice job, and good luck with the new site.

lol man, yeah, Spoof has helped alot but i have done alot too :wink:
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, BTW I need some one who wants to help keep it updated. you know like an admin :wink: 1 thing tho u have to have the free msn messenger thanx
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im a huge halo fan :) so its hard to say anything bad other than the basics of load times, but your on a freeserver and thats really not the issue if your talking about design, the framing of the page is nice with the template you have now (I did not see it from a previous version to compair)

looks good, Ill have to go home and dust off the halo game now after looking it over
  • Lord Kai
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not expert but I know what I like and what I don't like.

For thing I noticed was 2 blue bars accross my screen (most likely some code issue). That's no big deal it can be fixed.

The logo is ok. Its not bad but its not the one of the godo ones i've seen. The blue back ground makes it too play. perhaps a view of space with stars and purple nebulas and flock rocks would spice it up.

The <> is sorta of... Makes me think this site isn't that great. Ok so my suggestion is shrink the size of the links and just about all the text on the site. Add hoover effect (When you move mouse over link it changes to another color). Or you could get some buttons.

Addressing the logo and the hyperlink issues would be rather nice. And I just think perhaps you should make the entire sit in black and green to fit the forum colors.
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

HUGE SITE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out my site now. I have added a great forum. pleqase go and register

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers