SITE REVIEW: Happyfood

• Flaky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I updated and revised after an unexpected server crash recently. I decied to make a new layout, and use cute news for updating purposes.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: http://happyfood.dk3.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• darkcleric
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • darkcleric

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site doesn't display correctly in FF. The links are slightly where they are supposed to be. Other than that, I like your site.
  • Flaky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea i know, I use ff most of the time, but in internet explorer they work fine.

dont know why.
  • darkcleric
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • darkcleric

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not positive if this is your problem, but I believe it is because you use a paragraph tag around the links. On FF, a space on the top is shown when using a paragraph tag, but not on IE. Try using a div tag instead.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could I review http://happyfood.aurexoul.com/ instead?

Site navigation is broken. Site gets 0/10.

That's all that needs to be said right now. Of course, I could imagine that it's fixed. But first, let's have a break for these messages:

The reason you have a problem like this is that you relied on absolute positioning to put everything on the page. But the layout is vertical! There's no need to absolutely-position the elements when you could just put them one after another. If you lay things out just by using normal page flow, setting some top- and bottom- margins to zero in the process, when your layout does break, (and in some browser, it will,) at least it won't sink.

Absolute positioning should only be used as a last resort.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming!

Once that little bug gets fixed, I'd give the site a 10/10. Well, a 9.99 out of ten, because I think you should use "Contact Me" instead of "Contact Us."
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Am i right in thinking this site is directed at children? or is this some sort of mock site.

If it is directed at children (the language would suggest it was) then why does some of the pictures contain blood and sad faces?

Something wrong there, if you are trying to promote healthy foods to the younger generation then you dont want to be adding graphics which will either upset the visitor or put them off eating the item. Nobody wants to eat something that will cause the vegetable pain :roll:
  • northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flaky wrote:
I updated and revised after an unexpected server crash recently. I decied to make a new layout, and use cute news for updating purposes.

What do you guys think?

http://happyfood.cjb.net/

Hmmm, the margins seem to be a little screwy. The content of the main page seems to be much closer to the right and therefore is leaving a lot of purple on the left and almost none on the right.

Also, the scroll within a scroll is a little annoying. There really isn't enough content to warrant a second set of scrolls to view the posts - that can probably be eliminated and viewers can just scroll down normally.
  • Jaw
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Post 3+ Months Ago

seems to be balanced out now from what I show in IE. I'm running on 1024x768 and your scroll bar in the center column extends past bottom of the page. I have to then scroll down in IE to use your primary contents scrollbar. This seems a little convoluted.
I would attempt to make everything fit with one scroll bar or the other.

Other than that... Colors look fine. The overall site content is worthy of reading. It seems that you have taken the recomendations of other and adapted very well.

Good work.
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ermmm... strange concept and ideas. I don't get its point really. As for the site, its okay. A little on the boring side, colours commonly used, the site seems to be aligned more to the left on my system (IE @ 1600*1200)
  • jordan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jordan
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

And also on the main page the image within the scroll area, i think you could do the text in text format rather than in an image. Just a suggestion
  • Flaky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

So what do you suggest I do to make the site worth while?

As you can see from my layout, I am a big fan of php-nuke looking sites, however, i dont know how to use php very well.

Instead of trying to mimmic the style, do you know how I can make it look the same in ALL browsers?

You probably already answered it, but How else would I position the text other than absolute positioning?

I NEED HELP WITH THE LAYOUT!!
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flaky wrote:
Instead of trying to mimmic the style, do you know how I can make it look the same in ALL browsers?

That's impossible. Handhelds' browsers will ignore some of your code, for user convenience.

Flaky wrote:
You probably already answered it, but How else would I position the text other than absolute positioning?

You don't position the text at all; that's how.

Now, if you want a quick fix that will make the site look good in Gecko browsers, use the attribute and value, style="margin-top: 0; padding-top: 0", on both navigation paragraphs.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flaky wrote:
So what do you suggest I do to make the site worth while?

Is this seriously a site about you painting faces on fruits and veggies? :shock: If thats your theme, there's virtually no way you're going to gather much interest from anyone, maybe people with strange fetishes. I guess if you want to really stretch it out you can paint celebrity faces onto the fruit? But between the countless spelling errors, which you seem to acknowledge and neglect to fix, and the pointless-ness of the site, you're going to have to bust your tail off if you want this site to take off. Pardon my bluntness.
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus
  • Loc: Indo

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the topicof your site ? is it targeted to children ? If so, you should design more childish way.

Your site have a very unique content :)
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can hardly see your navigational links on top.
similar colours with background..... :-(
  • Flaky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's more of a jokish site...and It's not aimed at children persay....

Come on people, you can't see any humor AT ALL in my site? Yeah, we'll neither can my friends....

But hey, once I get some google advertising, I can make some money of my site. Money off a site with vegtibales with faces on them. Nice eh?
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do. I think it's hilarious.
  • spintwo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • spintwo

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are some padding issues for the text [links] that could use some fixing, but other than that it looks pretty good.
  • Flaky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i've noticed.

I'm making a new layout in photoshop, and I'll tell you guys when it comes up.
  • Flaky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright so I made a new layout. HOWEVER, please excuse the Cute News, im going to reinstall it. All of the other buttons work. The "home button" doesn't. I'm going to reinstall cutenews somtime today if I have time.

Tell me what you thik of the new layout.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flaky wrote:
It's more of a jokish site...and It's not aimed at children persay....

Come on people, you can't see any humor AT ALL in my site? Yeah, we'll neither can my friends....

But hey, once I get some google advertising, I can make some money of my site. Money off a site with vegtibales with faces on them. Nice eh?

Please stop it, i cannot see how you think you will make money from this. You have changed the look of the site, well done, but you have also managed to allow the website to produce pop ups too many times. If i was to visit this site the way it is i would immediatly close it down.

I also notice your main page has the intro and the layout but below your intro bit is just a load of HTML code that must be broken.

I hope you prove me wrong with the money thing though, it just dosnt seem like something i (being a visitor) would actually enjoy visiting. Its not really that funny and its not entirely clear whether you are trying to joke about healthy food or whether you have got an unusual taste of humour in that you enjoy seeing Fresh healthy food bleed.

Odd
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must say that your site would probably awesome to look at when your stoned. Not that I would know. But besides that, the humour is somewhat dry. Good luck though. If you don't succeed with this site, you could always change the theme of it later.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, and something else i thought i would mention. You wont get many people interested in emailing you if you are going to publish there email on the website. The hatemail you have has got a link directing the visitor to the email address of the person that emailed you.

Not really fair, is it?
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site actually looks naked now, there's absolutely nothing to it, just some images and a iframe. Not only that, the menu at the bottom looks both out of place and bare, there's no border and it looks like its just placed there for the sake of being placed there. Any site that has a hatemail option should re-consider their concept (with the exception of some other widely known "questionable" sites). One thing I neglected to comment on the last time I reviewed the page, the images you use for the "happyfood" arent even yours. Not only does this break your originality, but you're dragging other random unsuspecting people into it. Why are you still using absolute elements in your code? Sam Hughes already gave you logical reasons why not to and why you dont have to. Aside from all of that, you're missing your meta description/keywords tags. Best of luck with the site man, and I do mean it. You obviously have a passion for what you're doing so if you can pull it off, more power to you.
  • Flaky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well accually, i had google ads before on another server and made about 30 dollars. yay.

Maybe this is a waste of time. Maybe not. They said that to Bill Gates about Microsoft, and that his idea would never succeed, however you can't compare Happyfood to Microsoft.
  • Flaky
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

And about my hatemail, she acctualy wanted me to put her email up, so don't get confused at me about it.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flaky wrote:
Maybe this is a waste of time. Maybe not. They said that to Bill Gates about Microsoft, and that his idea would never succeed, however you can't compare Happyfood to Microsoft.

:lol!: LMAO!
:imwithstupid:
:wha:
:eek2:
  • 1234PENS
  • Born
  • Born
  • 1234PENS
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The graphics are too simple, they look like some two year old made them, need to get out of the boxes make it more google friendly.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was looking at your site again, and I just think it's funny that you still have no fan mail, but you have hatemail. Doesn't that tell you something? :?
  • glenglen66
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: UK - London

Post 3+ Months Ago

seems okay in ff for me. I like the idea for the site really fun maybe the white inner background could be more to the site theme.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 63 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers