SITE REVIEW: I HATE VISTA

• ihatevista
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have just started up a new site about Windows Vista. Please dont judge it by the name, its about discussing windows vista in general.

The forum is currently the main part of my site, but I am strugelling to get new members. Has anyone got any ideas?

I understand that my main site needs a lot more content and some parts fixing, but I was just wondering as a genral pointer in the right direction how the general layout is and graphics... etc. This is the first major website I have done so any help would be greatly appreciated!

The website address is - http://www.ihatevista.co.uk/

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the title :D
I didn`t install vista on my PC. I`ve let the people who I know do this to their computers before I did. I know I must not install it until SP2 is here :)

I am also planning to switch to mac so, why bother? Now, you`re probably thinking what the **** am I talking about here and why am I not reviewing your website.

The answer is quite simple, it was still loading while I wrote the above 2 paragraphs, and now I get the page cannot be displayed.
Siteuptime.com also gives a failed report on the website, on 2 datacenters, so perhaps you should check what`s wrong over awardspace.com.

Still doesn`t load :(

awardspace.com doesn`t load either .
  • jnext

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, the title is cool :)
There's not much to say about the design... it's simple and clean (which, from my point of view, is the best to do it).

On what concerns the subject / content... I think is very well chosen, as this Vista thing is quite actual. However, most of your links point to forums. This is not the best choice, as you don't openly describe your site as a forum. Anyway, from what I understand, the site is under construction (so I wont say anything about the "not yet activated" links bellow :) ).

OMHO, regrading design... I think you should stick to this classic and simple layout, which is easy to load, and not at all annoying to visitors.
  • webia
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webia
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

IhateVista, just read your PM. The site is still not up, though on some DC it is visible.
Are you switching hosts now or something?
  • ihatevista

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's really annoying. My site is currently hosted on a free hosting package. It's annoying because all the free websites are hosted on the same server so when lots of people are accessing them it goes very slow and sometimes makes mine go down.

The problem is, I don't know weather to upgrade to paid hosting or not, as I don't know if my website is ever going to get anywhere or not.

My website is up most of the time, but unfortuatly each time you have been on it, it has been down! lol.

Btw has anyone got any ideas for web hosting? I am currently hosted on awardspace.com's free plan.

Thanks.
  • brentjlaf
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ihatevista wrote:
It's really annoying. My site is currently hosted on a free hosting package. It's annoying because all the free websites are hosted on the same server so when lots of people are accessing them it goes very slow and sometimes makes mine go down.

The problem is, I don't know weather to upgrade to paid hosting or not, as I don't know if my website is ever going to get anywhere or not.

My website is up most of the time, but unfortuatly each time you have been on it, it has been down! lol.

Btw has anyone got any ideas for web hosting? I am currently hosted on awardspace.com's free plan.

Thanks.

i use netfirms.com and have used ehosting.ca and would recommend both.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

The w3c validator found 58 errors in your coding ... Click here to see them ...

I would also suggest that you add some rollovers to your main navigation ...

Also I think it would be cool if you disable the button of the page that the user is on ... For example if I am on your homepage, the "Home" button should be another colour and shouldn't be clickable ....

When clicking on the "forum" button I get the HTTP 500 error ...
  • firstholy
  • firstholy

Post 3+ Months Ago

great topic!

couple of things Id look at changing:

the large white space at the bottom between the footer and the middle section

maybe introduce another colour instead of the black
  • ted_chou12
  • ted_chou12

Post 3+ Months Ago

The color combinations, integration of google ads, and layout are all very nice, but the page load took a while, and made my browser to wait a few sec.
  • ihatevista

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your opinions everyone.

Has anyone got any ideas for what content I should have as im stuck on what to put. I have currently got some software reviews but apart from that nothing really.
  • viperpray
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • viperpray

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should have ways to get around the admin issues for games
  • Vincent
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm surprised that this site isn't recommending Linux or Mac os's. Anything that usually procrastinates always shows another solution :P
  • websiteacquire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • websiteacquire

Post 3+ Months Ago

no loading problems on my end

I think everyone has pretty much covered off on the rest of the feedback for your site

great job :)
  • ihatevista

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The only problem I really have now, is getting more members. Where am I going wrong? I am hardly getting any new registrations any more at my forum.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can get more members?

(I know in a way this is double posting as I have posted this in another section of this site, Sorry about this.)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers