SITE REVIEW: my-health-store.com

• SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

never had time to finish masterformula.net. i found the time and decided to make a new site. we will be partnering with a local health food store and will carry everything they offer. here is the almost finished site:
http://www.my-health-store.com/

as always comments are very helpful! :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• alerik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: People Republic of China

Post 3+ Months Ago

You did a great job making this site. It is easy to go true the menu. The only thing what i don't get is why you did not put your menu on the top and on the bottom. Now it is half and half.........just my view..

Maybe it is also a good thing to put a return the mean menu button on your
Health Forum page .

Also ' Displaying 1 to 4 (of 4 products) Result Pages: 1'.......some people will try and look for page two but there is no other page......not yet.

Again.....great work and i hope you can do something with my feedback.
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

And put a rollover effect on the links: change colour or decoration on mouse hover.

Looks nice anyway :)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really nice site Raj!! The colour combination is perfect, user friendly. I really like the header image you chose. It suits it perfectly!

I would focus on improving your top and side navbars though. They are lacking pazzazz.

Keep the header image on all pages, it's nice I don't know why you remove it for the subpages? Or maybe find more similar images and display them randomly throughout the site.

Scalable site, good job!

There seems to be alot of white on your site, add some more colour. Especially around the area where the prods are listed. The font is really small too compared to the font used on the rest of the site, try to keep the fonts consistent. Not too big, not too small. There also seems to be a large space between the prod name and the price. Not sure if once you put something in the model area it will fix that. But think about bringing everything in a notch, or making the font larger to use up space accordingly.

Hide empty sections!

Don't forget your meta descriptions & keywords and alt tags for images!!

Use css to declare your fonts instead of inline fonts. It's cleaner!

Besides that, I think you've done a wonderful job so keep it up!

8)
  • boiselifer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Boise of course. =)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site looks great!

One thing though. In IE, your top and bottom nav are not lined up with the rest of your site, they are shifted to the right.

Nice colors.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! Another homerun! :)

What's going on today, all the genius are out? Yesterday was pathetic...

Congratulations! :)
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys for all the feedback! i will be trying out all the suggestions and see what i can fix. some of the problems are oscommerces fault and it would take forever to fix them. i took ozzu's fade links code because my mom likes it after seeing it on here :)

thanks again!
Raj
  • mindofchester
  • mindofchester

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, nice use of stock photo.
Nice clean site.
I'd definately buy something.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice looking site.. so far, I see a lot of errors errors like:
Code: [ Select ]
<td align="left" class="boxText">>
The error being the double closing > which is interesting.. Am I missing something and that's actually correct? Anyways, what I would do it make an image for the background so it will exactly match the images for the table shadow on all computers with any settings. Like on my computer, the image looks a little lighter than the background (just a touch). All in all, I have only good to say about the site though besides what people have already said, it's amazing.

Going XHTML compliant might also be a good idea.. that's where things are moving.

I'm still wondering about the double closing, more and more, I think that must be on purpose, was it?
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

no it wasn't intentional. so much code to look though to find all the mistakes and i'm so busy all the time. thanks for your comment :)
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, alright. That's easy enough. Just go into notepad or whatever you use and replace ever >> with > .. should be that simple for that..
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i will fix that but the 400 other small non W3C compliant things in 1500 files will take too long to find.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, def. should have made a database driven website.. or at least used includes or something to keep something like this from happening.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is database driven since it's based on oscommerce and it does use includes. :)
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

then, out of curiousity, why would you use plain HTML and 1500 pages to display everything? btw, I'm not familiar with how oscommerce works... but it seems like there's be no reason for a database driven website to be 1. HTML.. should be PHP or something dynamic or it can't be database driven. and 2. have 1500 files. that's a nightmare. that's why people use PHP and MySQL.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i they aren't. i have it setup to Rewrite the urls so each page looks like a different page with the page's keywords in the url. it's mainly for seo. before it was http://www.my-health-store.com/product_ ... 238908af57
now it's like:
http://www.my-health-store.com/body-guard-p-37.html

all the product pages and categories are dynamic. what i meant about the 1500 files is there are only 100 viewable pages on the site. but as far as files there are 1500 for ever little function ranging from a paypal gateway to a javascript form checker.
  • morphmaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • morphmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site you got there, The only TINY thing i could really criticise is the font, it looks too . . default . .. other than that GREAT!

EDIT: Only the index paragraph font,
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

great layout.
I like the pics and how neat the layout is.

i prefer to remove the background grey and go for a fresher colour instead. something bright and less dark feeling than grey. gd luck!
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.my-health-store.com/

i've put a bunch more work into this site.

1. all titles are updated.
2. tons of the behind the seen changes. (mostly admin stuff)
3. all the code has been fixed. It’s w3 and dr watson validated.
4. fixed the width so it's not too big for people with 800x600 screens.
5. I’ve set up the code so that the right column shows up first in the html. better for seo
if anyone what's to know how i did it:
http://www.larryswanson.com/SEO-table-trick.htm

6. i made a few new scripts like on the product pages that have reviews:
http://www.my-health-store.com/master-f ... -p-29.html
7. i also figured out how to have a domain point to a dir on the site. like this: http://www.amaranthoil.com/

Now I just need to focus on adding content on the forums.

anyway take a look at the new changes and tell me what you thing :)

thanks,
Raj
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

The good

1) The banner/pic on the homepage does well in promoting a sense of naturalness and organics. Site colour scheme - the shades of blue compliemnt each other just right. Overall, the aesthetic are pretty good.

2) Navigation is good. I'm clicking all over the place without feeling lost - the left and top menus bring a sense of security.

The bad

1) The thumbnails showing the products could use more clarity. The resizing is distorting them slightly.

2) Maybe the menu links (cleaning products, essential oils) could use a tad bigger font.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the review! :)

i fixed the font sizes and hopefully i'll get better product images. at least when i start adding more the new ones will be better.

anyway i keep finding more things i can do better. this site has been hard trying to get rid of the tables. at one time i had 10 tables nested. i've got it down to 4 but i still can do better.

anyway thanks again!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers