SITE REVIEW: S&S Heating Cooling Plumbling

• Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have made some design changes. Comments, constructive criticism.

http://www.ssheatingcooling.com/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• princesspetunia
  • Born
  • Born
  • princesspetunia
  • Loc: pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

overall I like your site. I think that the dripping faucet is cool - but I think you should stop the loop after one or two times - I find that moving parts that keep moving are very distracting.

I went to your "links" page and your very first link on the left is not coded properly - the first "s" is not part of the link.

I like the photo album - I think you should have the slideshow open in a new window or tab (target = _blank).

The header could be a little nicer - it seems like maybe the quality is not that great - but there needs to be more anti-alias - so the text looks sharper and not as ragged - I don't know if you can do that using the back office web design program you are using - homestead - might not give you that option - I've never used that program before so I don't know.

Dawn
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with petunia about the faucet - it is really cool, and I'd also have it stop after a while, because it is distracting to the content.............

the little images in the header (bulletpoints dividing the words heating/ cooling/ plumbing and the little flame logo in the far right corner) definitely need to be of a much higher quality - greater resolution and better anti-aliasing and save them in the right format so they look slick and smooth, rather than jagged and washed out. the images are so small - even if you jack up their resolution sky-high you won't harm your loading time...........

also your 'products' and 'contact' pages are aligned differently to all the others - when you click on the 'products' page from the home page for instance, you see the outer frame jump a few millimeters to the left............ it's a little thing but I'd fix it - should be easy too...........

otherwise I think it's a great site - simple, to the point, and easy to use..........
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

princesspetunian and celandine

Excellent constructive feed back, I agree with your comments and did the changes you
Suggested.

1. improperly link corrected.

2. I now have slide presentation in a new window. (looks much better!)

3. slight movement on page corrected.

4. I gave the Header a face lift. It does not look as pixilated as before.

5. I haven't done any thing to the faucet yet, that is a .gif element and cannot be turned
off. to just a few drips. I am thinking about just turning it off.

**I would appreciate another look at the header and see if there any is improvement
with it.

Thanks ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

the flame logo looks a LOT better, though I'm still not sure about the bulletpoint things. Maybe you could make them into simple white dots? (or diamonds). simplicity is often best - and currently they have a gray shadow edge that makes them stand out from all other elements.....

the header does look a lot better now, overall. but the products and contact pages still jump a few mm to the left.....
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine,

I appreciate your support you have given me on my web site. I think the suggestions has been positive and has shown some significant improvement. I have changed the bullets again on the Banner - header... I am surprised the difference it has made in appearance.

However, I cannot see the movement you indicated in my browser. I am using FF and IE-7 I did see a glitch before and I thought I had that problem corrected. I will revisit that and see if I can find it.

Thanks again.....
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

dodger, you're right - the page doesn't jump any more! maybe my browser was reading the cached version of the site.

yeah the header does look a lot nicer now, doesn't it?

good luck with the site......
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

RE: Header

Yes...Thanks to you!
  • princesspetunia
  • Born
  • Born
  • princesspetunia
  • Loc: pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for the delay in posting :) The header looks MUCH better! :) If you want to modify your animated gif you need a program like Fireworks - which is relatively expensive - there are other programs out there - I think one is called Xara - or Zara? Do a google search for animated gif software. I used fireworks and there is a way to prevent an animation from looping "forever" - you can say you want it to drip two or three times instead, for example.

Nice work on the site - it contains a lot of information and I bet it took you a long time to do it. :)
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

princesspetunia,

Thanks for the posting and the info about .gif files I will l explore that.

Again, I appreciate all the excellent support you guys have given me.
  • calvi36
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • calvi36
  • Loc: Glasgow, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Bud,

Overall the site is very appealing. It looks very professional and I like the colour scheme (similar to my own)!

I would suggest the following, am not a web developer, I have had to learn what i know on here to deal with my own site, I view sites as a normal customer would.

In your home page you say " We measure our success by your satisfaction." and yet the opening blurb is signed by the owner. Could I suggest that you include a few snippets of customer testimonials after the line above. This in my mind would be more akin to saying, "never mind what we are saying to you", "here's what our customers say about us".
After all how do I know that your customers are satisfied?

One other point, on the 7 pages I viewed there is reference to Scot Holden (Owner) I would only have reference to this on the about us page, again this is a personal preference. I own lease2u but you will not find my name anywhere on the site. I think that by putting the owners name on 3 out of 7 pages makes your company look smaller than you probably are.

I hope you take the above constructively as that's how it's meant.

All the best,

Pete in Scotland
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Pete,

You certainly have some valid suggestions in your review. I will revisit the site and take them under consideration.

I am impressed with the input every one have given to my web site.

BTW- Celandine.... (per your suggestion)... My gif file ( water faucet) will shut off after four drips. Thanks to princesspetunia.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

petunia suggested it first, to be fair :) Yeah I do think it's better that way. it makes the point but doesn't provide a continuous distraction.
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have made some design changes. Comments, constructive criticism.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers