SITE REVIEW: S&S Heating Cooling

• Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would appreciate a critique of my business web site.

http://www.ssheatingcooling.com/
  • conanite
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: paris, france

Post 3+ Months Ago

The dude in the picture in the "about" page is in exactly the same pose as the dude in the picture in the header; I find that a bit strange, it's kind of artificial or something, as if you cut and pasted a dude-picture over some other pictures.

You could go to the trouble of re-typing the "Notice" on the "Specials" page; a jpg of a scan of a paper document rarely looks good, and besides, it's a bit crooked (which is cool in its own way, but doesn't blend in with the more sober look of the rest of the site)

The horizontal blue line with the flame motif extends from about 25% left all the way to the right of the page content; it looks unbalanced somehow. You repeat your address and phone number in this space on some of the pages; it is probably enough to put your contact information once in the contact page.

The form on the contact page uses some very high-contrast colours; it might be a bit easier on the eyes if you toned down the colours a bit, as well as the strong border around some of the text fields.

Some of the links are a bit pointless - I'm not sure people looking for electrical and plumbing service are interested in a link exchange program, spiritual inspiration, or redneck jokes. You could find stuff that's really relevant, perhaps dealing with energy efficiency or official standards for electrical & plumbing installations.
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Conanite,

Thanks for the review. Your suggestions are very valid..I appreciate your input. Some changes have been made.
  • rhwebs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • rhwebs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the design. It is very professional looking. You will need to do a lot more work on SEO if you want traffic. To start you should separate your services into individual pages (instead of one page for all services). This will allow you to optimize each page for keywords related to that service. Also, you are trying to optimize for all your keywords on each page i.e. heating, plumbing, cooling. To be effective you really need to pick one primary keywords phrase per page and optimize for that. These are the keywords that will be in your page title and H1 header etc...

It's a great start though! Good luck.

Rick
  • Dodger_2
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

rhwebs,

Thanks for the review. I appreciate your comments on SEO and I will certainly implement them within the site. Your expertise will be beneficial and conducive to more traffic to my web pages.

Thanks!
  • denniscrash

Post 3+ Months Ago

You missed an important part of your review request: the objective of the site. What is the main idea of the site? what do you need it for? I bet to make money, right? so your ite is a marketing tool to help your main business find clients.. and I bet the question you ask is, "does my site fulfil the goal?"

in short, yes, but there are very much questions and issues. ..

1) from the first impression, the site looks like those old-school sites from 90's. this feature can be good, meaning that you are a stable service that survived many years and continue to render classic, old fashion services.. however, for younger user it may mean that your equipment is outdated and people dont follow trends etc.. so, depends on your audience demographics... i believe they are mostly older family people, so the old-fashioned neat design is fine..

2) the site looks not corporate, but rather local... if you do business in one neighborhood, that local effect is perfect, but make sure you indicate the neighborhood.. but if you render services nationally, then you must reconsider your design to make it look more corporate, and make sure you indicate the areas covered.. but again, for local community its great couse the site looks like a warm and friendly neighbour..

3) add styling to main top menu, couse currently its invisible.. i assume you wont hire designer, so search for some free image-buttons, but be careful to save the local-friendly style.. currently main menu looks like ads, hence users automatically skip it.

4) remove the toon at right bar, take a picture of your employee in his working suit, have him combed, trimmed, etc, put him in a glamourous environment with tools neatly cattered arround, and take a well-lit picture, and put him there (make sure the guy smiles naturally, rather than plastically).. and if the image turns out very bright, put the image in a simple cs border like style="border: 3px double gray" to remove the painful contrast between the white background of the image and the greay area of the right bar

5) top right person must have attributes of your business.. dress him in appropriate company unifirm, and have him hold some tools.. etc.. currently, the guy is planning to have barbecue in the backyard (there is even coal sack near his legs).. make the guy on the photo create an immediate impression of your services, in a friendly, local, old-fashioned way in line with the rest of the site.
  • hlx98007
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hlx98007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there, If you make the navigation flash-based, it would be better.
So far, the background colour and text colour are sort of the same. Looks similiar and Maybe hard for some people to read.

You need to design a logo too. Good website always have a creative look of a logo, a variation of logos. Could use for some special days like google does.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers