SITE REVIEW: MY HOMEPAGE

• DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, this is my personal homepage. I made it just to have fun making it and share all the pictures I had on my computer with my buddies.

REVIEW: Let me know what you think about the actual setup of the site itself, as long as whatever pictures you notice I have edited. I want to know what you think of the pages construction mainly, but if you have some comments about the material be my guest!

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~cbence

Thanks! :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your pictures are an excellent quality. Nice work there.

I don't think you'll find that I'm the only person with this opinion, but I hate frames. I'm sure you'll get the same comment from others.

I would prefer to see your color scheme on your main frame match your left and top frame (the off-yellow background doesn't do it for me). If I were to make a suggestion, I like what you did with the graphics on your navigation. I'd make all your pages solid pages (no frames) and extend the nav graphic to be incorporated in your main content. Perhaps make your main content background the same light grey, then adjust your text and link colors so they show up well on the background.

I'm also not a big fan of that gostats counter -- I think it's cheesy looking and doesn't fit the rest of your site.
  • gba_m
  • Student
  • Student
  • gba_m

Post 3+ Months Ago

some of the words are covered by the pictures and some of the words overwrite some words.

the pictures are clear and about the right size.

make the links in the links section hyperlinks.

overall, it's a good personal site

6/10
  • DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you say some of the words overwrite words, can you tell me which page that was on? I'm not seeing that anywhere.

And why are frames bad? Are they commonly know as evil now??
  • mustardplaster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mustardplaster
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's OK fora personla site. As someone said the frame is annoying and really should be removed (yes they are the evil of the internet, lol). The pics are great real world stuff.

Loads slow that may need to be addressed. Maybe have the pictures in thumbnails then the user can pic which ones they what to expand.

All in all all it is ok, just need to work on the speed issue.
  • Meldryn
  • Meldryn

Post 3+ Months Ago

ummm... not to be harsh, but look at any professional site, and what DONT you see... frames. Try some <div>'s with css or at least tables man. Tutorials are everywhere, just need to look. In your layout, try for all the elements to mesh, like in your current design, the menu has no relaiton to the other elements in the page, just a "cool" design, but a design the is quite out of line, and out of touch with the other elements. Hope I helped! :P
  • kylebacc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kylebacc
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

um the first thing i notice is that the menu doesnt match the rest of the site whatsoever. and the yellow.... its on the borderline of being ugly.... you may want to try tables or css for your layout instead of frames and use tables to line up your pictures... the only part i accually found attractive was the pic right before you get to that accual site. hope this helps a bit i know i was a bit harsh
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah yes... the menu. I really like the menu. It is very well done. But kylebacc is right - it doesnt match the rest of the site. Change the yellow to black and the site will look must better.

There are indeed problems with text and pictures overlapping each other, so you may want to consider looking into that. Finally, its been suggested before so I'll say it again - lose the frames. They may be convienient to manage content, but to most users, they are a pain to navigate through.

I like the pics tho! :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers