SITE REVIEW: Homer Central School District

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hallo!

Our school's website needs some work. The content is all set but the visual aspects are lacking at times.

I think what we need is to do something with the navigation links at the left, and a few other minor touchups (centering page so it looks better at high resolutions, XHTML validation, etc.) to give it a nice touch. The website isn't new (as far as I can remember we've had it for several years) and a visually pleasing design hasn't been set in yet.

I know a lot of it is on personal opinion, but I was wondering what you all would suggest with the the above in mind (is there anything to keep in mind above? don't know! ;))

http://www.homercentral.org

Thanks in advanced!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Meldryn
  • Meldryn

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey b! Have you thought of doing the whole thing (layout, color scheme, etc.) entirely in css and div tags? It makes everything so much easier! The only issue it sems would be compatiability. In regards to high res problems... I'm running 1600 right now, and I usually have the browser windows NOT maximized, so I dont think it is as big of an issue. If I maximize even a centered page, it ends up looking funny. :P Hope I helped!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll probably do something along those lines, I definatly will consider better tables or use div tags when I redo the templates.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really only have two comments. The first is - you need pictures. The content is great, but I remember when I was a kid, I loved seeing my picture and pictures of school events, etc. Parents eat that up even more than the kids. You won't believe the response. You'll be getting phone calls all day long -- "Hey, you put my little Johnies' picture on the web site. Thank you.! You're my hero!"

And don't forget the sports. Otherwise the jocks are going to think you're a geek. And you'll get plenty of kudos from the faculty shots too!

My second comment is what's up with "Not available in Homer, NY"? Is that a joke? I don't get it.

BTW, at least the home page is missing an opening HTML tag and a DOCTYPE declaration. I didn't check the others.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The not available thing is supposed to be the weather, but for some reason it isn't reaching the database for our weather station at school. Who knows about that! :-P

Yea I figured that some pictures woudl help. I think I'll place our school mascot up in the corner and go from there.
  • lordg
  • Born
  • Born
  • lordg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yah I agree, add more pictures. Other than that, it looks fine.

-----------------------
http://www.jd-design.ca
http://www.nechron.com
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not just pictures, but images in general. The site needs more images to make the layout and design look smoother. Right now, I goto the site and my first impression is that im bombarded with chuncks of text but no pretty graphics to look at! :P

Add some more images - things that will brighten up the site and take away the "blah blah blah" feeling of all that text.

Other than that, the site looks good!
  • Nova00
  • Nova00

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey nice site
i don't know about ther colors though i like the blue but with the grey it kinda lulls me to sleep. The site is very nicely organized and great navigation. again i would suggest images or even a logo as text is quite boring alone
(as in your sports section the logo makes a huge difference)
and then in the sports information page the color layout changes. maybe nice to be consistent?
overall a great site with a couple touchups it will be even better
just my 2 cents
good job
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

School sites are always a pain to do. At our school we can only post pictures if we get the person's written permission first, and even then we can't include their name! The site could easily be spiced up with images of other sorts, though, and maybe some more interesting colors. It is pretty...blah at the moment. Another thing that it could use is a link to the home page on the left navigation menu, it took me a while to notice the one at the bottom. Good luck with that, my friend!
  • Dragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohhh 8) I didn't know we had suck a cuttie on the team.....
Aight school's cite are always a mess mine is soo bad that I won't even show it up..
But anyways like most people said more pics would be usefull......
  • Sakuraba
  • Sakuraba

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout... it is clean. The graphics add to the links... nice job. I am assuming you paid attention to keyword density in your design. :lol:
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

never have been a fan of "school sites" :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers