SITE REVIEW: Hostingspeeds.com - Hosting comparison project

• hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear fellow members,

A few weeks ago I have launched a new site called 'The hosting company comparison project' at http://www.hostingspeeds.com/

A custom PHP script lets registered webmasters check the speed of their host. By collecting all those speed results, we rank their web hosts by average speed, ping speed etc.

Would you be so kind to review the lay-out, functionality and whatever you think is needed to say about it?

Tips are very very welcome! Both positive and negative.

Kind regards,

Jan Paul
http://www.hostingspeeds.com/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Topic has been unlocked. Please resume your reviews.
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hm ,,, it seems like you have suddenly bumped into a rain forest .. I would prefer the opposite colors, that would be darker background and lighter contents page. I would suggest moving the login to the top and centering the rest of the page. If you dont want to use a banner it is okay but i prefer adding a narrow small banner. Otherwise site seems to be rich in content and is SEO friendly and professionally built.
  • chicagotech
  • Born
  • Born
  • chicagotech
  • Loc: Chicago, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

look good to me
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sana, thanks for your comments. I have changed the 'Rain Forest' (on other forums a.k.a. Kermit the Frog green), hahaha, into less bright and darker green colors.

Hope you will look again and post wether it's improving.

Moving of the login to the top would be nice, but I have two log in forms which can make things complicated.

After log in there is a list of detailed stats is displayed in the left colomn, that's why the log in's are at that location.

More suggestions are very welcome !!

Thanks chicagotech! Hope you rated it based on the new layout !
  • tvcrazyman
  • tvcrazyman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it looks professional, but I'm not too crazy about the green color. Seems like the stats you give might need a little more explaining for the average user. I could be wrong, but does the average guy know about pinging? Maybe you should offer some help in defining the terms you use. It might help to draw in a bigger audience of the newbie kind.

I have to say though it's a very cool concept. I hadn't ran across a site offering speed tests for web hosts before. You might be on to something that could become very popular. :D
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

tvcrazyman, thanks for your comments!

The green color I had before all the review comments was really really green, green as green can be. I have made it less bright green and darker.

I wish to stick to green, because otherwise the page will look to overwhelming.

Ping/page load/LAN speed are explained at the ranking pages. Whois/Traceroute/Tracepath are explained on the hosting company detail pags. It might be a good idea to add a short explanation with the basics of ping and page load speed on the main page. You have a suggestion where to put it? Maybe in a small popup window if you browse over it? Please advice.

I sure hope HostingSpeeds will become a hit. It is already shown on the front pages of a bunch of web hosts .... so there's a start :-) After 2 weeks the site already has 1,000 to 2,500 page views per day.

Jan Paul
  • tvcrazyman
  • tvcrazyman

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's good traffic for two weeks. Like you said a small pop up window might be ok or some little link next to it saying more info or ping defined maybe. The pop up will work best I guess depending on how much info your going put in it.
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

tvcrazyman, I added a mouse over script with basic explanation of the speed tests.

Jan Paul
Hosting speed comparison project
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your Welcome .
Flipping the colors has made it look much better. The login seems to be in place now but i think you should stretch that table since when one scrolls it suddenly gets empty. Maybe the top navigation can be transfered and another navigation can be entered on the left hand side to stretch the left bar, Moreover , i would prefer centering the upper navigation and larging the font a bit more. Again adding banner would make it look much better. Ont he whole , really well managed site. Best of Luck !
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, on every board I asked for site review the new colors are appreciated much more. Glad I posted it for review.

I have stretched the table with p en br instead of adding navigation.

I have first centered the top navigation, but aligning it at left looks way better than at the right. So it is at the left now.

I also added an extra 1px to the font size of the top navigation. Better?

The hostingspeeds logo and a catchy graphic 'saying it all', must be added, I know, but I can't do it myself.

Anyone of you can design me a unique logo and catchy graphic? Will pay for it.

Thanks again, I appreciate your comments,

jp
Hosting speeds comparison project
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks much better now .The top navigation bar also look better and glad you increased the font size. Glad my reviews had worked ;) Best of luck with your site ! *thumbs up*
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it's been a lot of work to get all suggestions implemented. Especially fixing the Firefox incompetabilty was tough ...

The site is ready for a final review now.

Please post your reviews.

Jan Paul
  • Bender
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm still not sure about the green dude but it works.

The font your hosting companies are written in could be a little clearer maybe and the css isn't consistent when you view it in lower res.

Other than that its a good layout.
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, will look into it.

A logo was designed for for free. Uploaded it. Good? Suggestions?

jp
  • Bender
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Logo...

I got bored after the third word and after a day staring at this screen I forgot the first!

Maybe have more of a slogan, something catchy, witty, phrase kind of thing, or something that flows more of the tongue. Its not easy mind. Eg where speed is money, the MB clocker, How fast is your ping? Or even adapt one of yours - How fast is your host? Don’t use mine though, their crap.

Font looks better!
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Were working on the graphics now.

jp
  • tulip4heaven
  • Born
  • Born
  • tulip4heaven
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice Site .. With Perfect comparisons. I would like to surf the whole site in free time :)
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks tulip4heaven!
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the IE/Firefox display problems are completely solved now.

If you still find errors on the site, please report them.

jp
  • hostingspeeds
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hostingspeeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have completely changed the color scheme from dark green to lighter colors to fresh the site up.

Please post your comments on the new colours.

I have fixed the IE/FF bugs. Please report any errors.

Thanks!!

jp

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers