• lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,

I have recently created the following website:
How To Make A Website

I would apreciate any positive or negative comments to help improve the site.

Thanks
Lawrence
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

its nice, im sure beginners will find it particually useful, however i think it may be a good idea if you were to make some html, Xhtml and css tutorials so that the website can offer the full package.
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks gu3,

That is a good idea, I will add some html, xhtml and css tutorials soon.

It is a work in progress.
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ridiculouslyrandom.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks very basic for a web design website. Add a forum so people can talk web design as well and be reviewed, sort of lie ozzu.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

No man! You're teaching someone how to make a website while your own has validation errors in it ... http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ite.com%2F ... That's like me giving drum lessons with only one drumstick ...

No but I'm not here to diss you, I actually like the site, maybe you could put "back to top" links next to each "article", but actually I would rather suggest making your homepage shorter ...

gu3 wrote:
its nice, im sure beginners will find it particually useful, however i think it may be a good idea if you were to make some html, Xhtml and css tutorials so that the website can offer the full package.

I think that would be cool ...
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks very basic for a web design website. Add a forum so people can talk web design as well and be reviewed, sort of lie ozzu.

Thanks for the comments. I will add a forum at a later stage.

I will also add back to top links on the article pages
  • chiara
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chiara
  • Loc: Santa Clara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello lajocar

I like the site, it's straightforward and well-structured. A few small notes on consistency mainly:

- you are using too many different fonts across your pages, for the menu, for the header, etc. Try to stick to just 3-4 different styles

- the right margin for the text on most pages is missing, see e.g Home - the text is quite glued to the google ads

- no current menu item effect. Also the menu items on the left look a bit blurred - you might want to improve the image quality or replace the images with text

- on some pages below the page title you have a line, on others - not. Unify this across all pages

- the contact form is not working, suppose you are still working on it

- on some pages the left menu is centered, on others - left-aligned

That's it from me, good luck to your website!

Rgds

Chi
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Chiara for the great advice.

I will have a look at the things that you highlighted.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

the main thing that bugged me was the fact that the main links are images AND they have no rollovers =/
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

Your site is a table driven layout, you could improve the site with CSS. Try typing "Piefecta" into google, they have the exact template you're using but without tables.

Cheers, Prime ... :D
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks prime, I will check out the CSS template.
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
the main thing that bugged me was the fact that the main links are images AND they have no rollovers =/

I have updated my site and used CSS and absolutely no advertising

I also included rollovers on the navigation.

Tell me what you think of it.

Thanks
lajocar

8)
  • Jerm3462
  • Jerm3462

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the no advertising. A++ for that.
Wish I would have seen this site about 3 weeks ago when I started my site.
I like it, its simple..all info right there
Could use some forums
  • boost
  • boost

Post 3+ Months Ago

no ads! me likes!

its a good job, nice work

it looks plain and simple and has user friendly colours
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

boost wrote:
no ads! me likes!

its a good job, nice work

it looks plain and simple and has user friendly colours

Thanks boost,

I will add some css and javascript tutorials soon :)
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jerm3462 wrote:
I like the no advertising. A++ for that.
Wish I would have seen this site about 3 weeks ago when I started my site.
I like it, its simple..all info right there
Could use some forums

Thanks Jerm3462,

I will add a forum later on.
  • vjjohnson
  • Student
  • Student
  • vjjohnson

Post 3+ Months Ago

The design of the site is clean enough. I think u only need to change the colour of the header and buttons. It makes it look less like a website and more like a blog.
  • Nebojsa Stanojevic
  • Loc: Around The World

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
I am beginner in website making, and I was looking for some site with basic (and advance) options how to make it. It's pity I did not see this before :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can help with the tutorials.

Those lessons on Tutorials bring me to an error page.
  • Sovi3t
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sovi3t
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

The number "2" in the title throws me off from all the numbered lists. Just a minor annoyance.

I don't like how the main page is a huge article and branches off to more sub-articles. I'd have the main sections listed on the front. As little text as you can. Just sum it all up.

You need a main article that goes through, STEP BY STEP everything you need to do to start a website.

My friends really want to learn about making a website, but nobody has the attention span to read through a page long article of "Conceptualizing" and "Planning". They want results, NOW. So I suggest--have a basic, starter article for setting up a "Hello World" website at a free host of your choice. Once they understand the basics--creating an HTML file, uploading it, viewing it--they can start to work on their skills. With your site, it looks like you have to do a lot of reading (and sub-reading) to actually get anything you can play with. Make it hands-on rather than textbook material. If I wanted to learn about webdesign from complete scratch, i'd look for a site that listed every single step I need. No guesswork. Step 1 should be interesting. Have them do something like make a hello world page and then open it. Add some humor. Keep them entertained. Step 2 should be registering a free host and uploading their file... etc etc

Don't encourage people to buy domain names. Go the completely free route until they get the hang of it.

Your site is too busy for my eyes. At first, I didn't know where to go.

Also, font colors need changing. You have some blue links w/ underline. Some blue links w/o underline. And then there's the blue text that, to my surprise and confusion, are not links at all.

Too many navigation items -- needs to be clear cut.

Colors - meh. A bit "deep". A teaching website needs to be a learning environment. Not too many vibrant colors that make it look like a nightclub. Dark blue background is distracting. Maybe lightening that up will help.

Domain name -- I hope you get a lot of search engine traffic. It will be hard for people to spread your site through word-of-mouth. "Hey dude, check out how dash to--the number two--dash make dash a dash website dot com!" Not gonna happen. We all make mistakes with domain names. Pick something classy, original. You can work with this one, sure, but it would help to get a better name. Then set up this one to redirect to the new one.

Last thoughts:
-Too "web2.0-ish".
-Need more sense of direction
-Too many navigation items. Way too many things to click.
-Top navigation could probably be removed.
Home -- make a link to home in your header

Tutorials -- isn't that what all the links on the side are?
Tips -- isn't that what all the links on the side are?
Articles -- isn't that what all the links on the side are?

Sitemap -- if you have a decent navigation you don't need a "map" of your site. Keep it simple.

About Us -- Nobody really visits this page. If needed, put it somewhere out of the way. Maybe at the bottom of the page. Or in smaller text somewhere else. Being so big and prominent, it confuses the user, it's a link that's mostly useless.

Contact Us -- Same as "About Us". Contact is important, but not important enough to be one of the main navigation items.

Sorry if any of that was harsh--I think you have a great idea here. Good design skills (but need to be tweaked to fit the content). You will get so many visitors if you make a website that actually makes it easy to start a website. Good job--as soon as you hit the "sweet spot" it will be smooth sailing from there.

PM me if you'd like. I'd love to give you any more help, if you need it. I was thinking of making one of these sites myself, so if you want to do a partnership or something... we can chat ;)

Peace out.
-Tim
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I can help with the tutorials.

Those lessons on Tutorials bring me to an error page.

Hi Bogey,

Sure I will appreciate any help that I can get

Thanks
:)
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sovi3t wrote:
The number "2" in the title throws me off from all the numbered lists. Just a minor annoyance.

I don't like how the main page is a huge article and branches off to more sub-articles. I'd have the main sections listed on the front. As little text as you can. Just sum it all up.

You need a main article that goes through, STEP BY STEP everything you need to do to start a website.

My friends really want to learn about making a website, but nobody has the attention span to read through a page long article of "Conceptualizing" and "Planning". They want results, NOW. So I suggest--have a basic, starter article for setting up a "Hello World" website at a free host of your choice. Once they understand the basics--creating an HTML file, uploading it, viewing it--they can start to work on their skills. With your site, it looks like you have to do a lot of reading (and sub-reading) to actually get anything you can play with. Make it hands-on rather than textbook material. If I wanted to learn about webdesign from complete scratch, i'd look for a site that listed every single step I need. No guesswork. Step 1 should be interesting. Have them do something like make a hello world page and then open it. Add some humor. Keep them entertained. Step 2 should be registering a free host and uploading their file... etc etc

Don't encourage people to buy domain names. Go the completely free route until they get the hang of it.

Your site is too busy for my eyes. At first, I didn't know where to go.

Also, font colors need changing. You have some blue links w/ underline. Some blue links w/o underline. And then there's the blue text that, to my surprise and confusion, are not links at all.

Too many navigation items -- needs to be clear cut.

Colors - meh. A bit "deep". A teaching website needs to be a learning environment. Not too many vibrant colors that make it look like a nightclub. Dark blue background is distracting. Maybe lightening that up will help.

Domain name -- I hope you get a lot of search engine traffic. It will be hard for people to spread your site through word-of-mouth. "Hey dude, check out how dash to--the number two--dash make dash a dash website dot com!" Not gonna happen. We all make mistakes with domain names. Pick something classy, original. You can work with this one, sure, but it would help to get a better name. Then set up this one to redirect to the new one.

Last thoughts:
-Too "web2.0-ish".
-Need more sense of direction
-Too many navigation items. Way too many things to click.
-Top navigation could probably be removed.
Home -- make a link to home in your header

Tutorials -- isn't that what all the links on the side are?
Tips -- isn't that what all the links on the side are?
Articles -- isn't that what all the links on the side are?

Sitemap -- if you have a decent navigation you don't need a "map" of your site. Keep it simple.

About Us -- Nobody really visits this page. If needed, put it somewhere out of the way. Maybe at the bottom of the page. Or in smaller text somewhere else. Being so big and prominent, it confuses the user, it's a link that's mostly useless.

Contact Us -- Same as "About Us". Contact is important, but not important enough to be one of the main navigation items.

Sorry if any of that was harsh--I think you have a great idea here. Good design skills (but need to be tweaked to fit the content). You will get so many visitors if you make a website that actually makes it easy to start a website. Good job--as soon as you hit the "sweet spot" it will be smooth sailing from there.

PM me if you'd like. I'd love to give you any more help, if you need it. I was thinking of making one of these sites myself, so if you want to do a partnership or something... we can chat ;)

Peace out.
-Tim

Wow, thanks Tim for the in depth review of my site.

I still have a long way to go with this site, but I will make some the changes that you recommended.

I will PM you.

Thanks again
Lajocar
  • Lost^Angel
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lost^Angel

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don;t like to type this domain, to long.
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lost^Angel wrote:
I don;t like to type this domain, to long.

so will a redirect from a different domain name help?

Say for example a short domain name without dashes.
Will this affect my SEO?

• lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have changed the hopepage and added a introduction

Check it out now.

• 2stamlers
  • 2stamlers

Post 3+ Months Ago

The layout is looking good, maybe you should try to monetize your site. Also, i like your ONLINE CODE TESTING LAB, very good for beginners.

cheers
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

2stamlers wrote:
The layout is looking good, maybe you should try to monetize your site. Also, i like your ONLINE CODE TESTING LAB, very good for beginners.

cheers

Thanks 2stamler,

I will monetize it at a later stage.

I must still ad troubleshooting, Q&A section, More Advance Tutorials, CSS Tutorials, XHTML, Free Templates

• kena
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kena

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, lajocar. You website looks clear, so I can easily find the information I need. Also the domain is good for SEO, though a bit long.

Here are some of my suggestions
1. Check you website with IE6, IE7 and also firefox, which are the most popular browsers. The same webpage will look different in different browsers, you'd better check it first.
2. I view the HTML of your website, you've missed the important <h1></h1>
3. Some code is useless, for example
Code: [ Select ]
<H2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT size=3>How To Make A Website | Home</FONT></H2>

you could write a "padding-left" and font size in the *css file.

Regards,
Kena
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
<H2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT size=3>How To Make A Website | Home</FONT></H2>

you could write a "padding-left" and font size in the *css file.

Regards,
Kena[/quote]

Thank for the tips Kena,

I will redo the whole site again and fix a lot of stuff.
  • HastyHost.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'll be sending you a PM about your website, as I have an offer.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 44 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers