SITE REVIEW: HowYouDoIt.Com

• howyoudoit.com
  • howyoudoit.com
  • Loc: Tacoma, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright folks, first of all, be brutal. You are not going to hurt my feelings. Don't sugar coat anything...just lay it on the line!

My site is located here: http://www.howyoudoit.com

My grand plan is to create a bunch of informational products that give good solid honest answers to the FAQ of life. I am starting with the truth about ticketing.

This is my first real effort at building a site (I was in Japan during the first dot-com explosion and it was a struggle just to get e-mail at my workplace!). I know there is a lot I need to do, but I would love some guidance on this question:

What should be my first priority if I want to make this an easy to use site that will attract advertising?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

howyoudoit.com wrote:

What should be my first priority if I want to make this an easy to use site that will attract advertising?

You need a better layout, and it needs too become flashy. Not as in MacroMedia Flash, just flashy like bright colors (the blue is attractive, dont get me wrong) maybe a better nav, and such.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attracting advertising is about getting a lot of page views. You can have the most beautiful site in the world but if no-one is looking at = no advertising revenue.

The thing that bugs me about your site is that is seems to be a <b>free</b> informational site (no mention of any money until the <i>end</i> of the second page, and you don't even hint at any costs on the first page at all. This is something I really hate. I don't mind people selling products on the internet, but when it's information and appears free, by the time I've read two pages I'm not to impressed, click the back button and keep searching. Just be honest about it.

Something on the front page to say who you are would definately help - I know the site name is pretty clear, but an informative front page, with a link to the article of the month would be better.
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

What bothers me about the site?

Doesnt have enough...umm how do I say...prettiness...as in it has a simple layout, no over the line stuff.

But I like to keep things simple...could have put the navigation all as one big box or perhaps 1/3 of an Orb with the navigation inside it.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with both sides on this. rtm223 is right about your traffic-no one will want to pay money to advertise on a great looking site if there is no one going to it. I also think that it needs to look good though. There are a lot of sites that look horrible but have a lot of traffic but if you advertise on a site that looks like it was designed by a 4 year old your company won't have a very professional image.

Is more of your income going to come from advertising or clients? I'm assuming it is your clients so If you put yourself in their shoes first, then make tweaks to accommodate the advertisers you should do fine.

Good luck!
  • StevCarls
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should have the name of your site in that box at the top of every page so everytime it loads people can read the name of your website.

also I think the design is a little bit boring. i think you should add more colors and graphics or something like that so it's more 'exciting' and 'eye-catching.'

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers