SITE REVIEW: http://lhshurricanes.org/

• mjcrash22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjcrash22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i made this site for my high school football team. got a lot done so far but there are a few errors and some design changes i have to make when i get some time. let me know what i can do to make it better, thanks a lot.

http://www.lhshurricanes.org
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have a nice and a great design.
  • Talks_44
  • Talks_44
  • Loc: http://www.new-talks.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like your design mate!..is cool!
  • ciarac
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Spain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!
I'm gonna actually try to give you a decent review not like these two who have posted above me.
Well, my first reaction was that I was willing to explore the site. It didn't repel me as many sites do.

The right hand paragraph needs to be separated into at least 3 paragraphs for easy reading.

You could do with flowering up the bottom nav menu as it looks quite unfinished IMO.

On your top nav menu I only discovered as I was about to exit that the bottom row are also links, I would have just thought they were part of the top links. I would make the links bigger so as people see them. The bottom links, I mean. The bottom links of the top links. Aah! You get me, right?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks pretty good, it has a set purpose for the site and you are sticking to it very well. One thing that would be really cool is to take some video clips of your best plays, upload them to youtube, then embed the videos somewhere on the sight...Maybe as a play of the game type of thing or something. Well done!
  • mjcrash22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjcrash22

Post 3+ Months Ago

ciarac- thank you for the review. i see what you are saying about the 3 different paragraphs. i will change that as soon as possible. and for the nav menu on the bottom, what do you think could be done to make it more recognizable? i really havent done nor researched any good designs for this, so im clueless. i can look up some designs, but its always good to get others opinions as well. hahaa and yeah i understand what your saying about the bottom top nav bar, or the lower top nav bar... haha or whatever!

kc0tma- that is a very good idea. only problem is i do not have a lot of time to do that. maybe i could make a team highlight at the end of the year and put that up. i like it though thanks for the ideas.

thanks everyone and let me know what else you guys see.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looking at the code, two things jump right out at me..

1) You should stick your CSS in an external file instead of putting it in the header of each page. That way, you can just make a change once and it'll effect the whole site.

2) Using tables for layouts is kind of old-fashioned. You can do all the positioning much more logically with CSS. Just something to think about for your next website :)

Another thing I noticed in the site is that your text is kind of jammed up against the left border. Put this line in your CSS and it should fix that:

Code: [ Select ]
p{padding:20px;}

All in all, I say nice work! I think it looks great for a high school football website. The team must be stoked!

-jameson
  • mjcrash22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjcrash22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks jameson5555

1) yeah i know i should use css but i dont know how to do that yet so i had. i know a little bit but not enought to make a whole page. and whenever i tried to stick the fonts in css whenever i would write text dreamweaver would just make up its own style for it even if i had it in css already. so maybe i was donig something wrong so i just left it alone.

2) yeah like i said i dont know enough about css to do it so i couldnt :( and another thing, i put the code in that you showed me, but the cells for like my coaches names and their records gets spaced out too which i dont want. i dont know if you would have to see it to know what im talking about but i cant get it right.

thanks a lot though.
  • xzero012
  • xzero012

Post 3+ Months Ago

layout is clean and serves its purpose just right. The ads at the bottom have a blue border. I am not sure if you intended it to be that way but I am betting it is because they have links with them. Make sure you put a CSS or style them with a "border:0px" so you can still retain the link without having to compromise design.

Inside your img tag, put in:

style="border:0px"

This way, it removes the blue border. Hope that helps.
  • mjcrash22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjcrash22

Post 3+ Months Ago

xzero- thanks a lot xzero that did the trick. thats why i love this site. thank you everyone for your help. i like getting the negative feedback so that i can learn from it and fix it so i dont do it again, hopefully lol!

xzero or jameson: where is the BEST place to learn css that worked for you guys? there are hundreds of tutorial sites and places to learn but i never know what is good or not. So if you know any ones that you particular would you let me know?
thanks a lot again everyone.

please anything else let me know.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey mjcrash22,

Here's a page I put together for a web design class I was in a while ago. It has all of my favorite links and what I think are the best resources for CSS info.

Were you saying the code I gave you was putting spaces in the tables on your roster page? That's weird that it would affect anything besides stuff in <p> tags...

I know what you mean about Dreamweaver and CSS. I never had any luck figuring out how to use CSS until I stopped using Dreamweaver and started coding exclusively in Notepad.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.lhshurricanes.org/contactus.html

I suggest that you make an online form. But it doesn't matter.

[url=http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lhshurricanes.org%2Findex.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0]
Also, make it a valid XHTML Transitional site.[/url]

Otherwise, I like your design. Good job. Keep it simple :)
  • mjcrash22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjcrash22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey jameson5555,

Thanks a lot for the page you posted, i appreciate it. i will definitely be spending a lot of time there.

Im not sure right now what tables it messed up, im not at my computer right now, im at a friends. But im pretty sure it messed up my table on the lvc roundup page. but i can check again when i get to my computer.

I wish i could finally learn how to code it all in notepad. maybe in a few months. it seems like making the preloaded images and rollovers and all that stuff is pretty hard. how long did it take you to learn all of that?
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it took me a few months to really get the hang of doing everything in Notepad. Once I got fluent with it, though, I never thought about going back to anything else.
  • mjcrash22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mjcrash22

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats cool. ill definitely be doing this then when i get some free time.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers