SITE REVIEW: http://thebuyersoasis.com

• oasis30
  • oasis30
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I have made my introduction, (on the link to do so in the sign up message), I have tried to have some good feedback for people to work with, on to my request.

Again, I have no idea what I am doing, I need to study at the feet of masters. I am a webmouse, not a webmaster!

My site: http://thebuyersoasis.com

My problem: Meta tags, garbage in the html, google hates me, I guess I do not understand the optimization. I have about 400 visitors per day, I have some sales, I need to know what is wrong with the spiders...I get this message: "Untitled Your Branding Has Been Disabled Please call your hosting provider".
Did I do that? Or do I contact the hosting service?

Please give me feedback in crayon, I am a preschooler here!

Thanks,
Traci
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ronburk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hard to know where to begin.

HTML (optionally) begins with a declaration that says "Here is the exact version of the many HTML specifications that I promise this page conforms to.". Your home page does begin with such a declaration. However, it then proceeds to violate that particular specification about 1152 times.

The HTML seems unlikely to have been hand-coded, so presumably you used some tool to generate this page. You may want to find a forum devoted to questions about that particular tool and ask things like "how come it generated such illegal HTML for my home page?" Or, find a different tool.

Quote:
I get this message: "Untitled Your Branding Has Been Disabled Please call your hosting provider".
Fair chance that this is, once again, related to whatever particular tool you used to generate the web page.
Quote:
I need to know what is wrong with the spiders
Can you be a lot more specific about exactly what you think is wrong with them? What were you expecting that didn't happen?
  • oasis30
  • oasis30

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, my site is apparently spider proof, which is not a good thing. They come in and stop without crawling the pages of the site, or at least that is what the tool (yuck, I am starting to hate tools...) said.

It recommended that I hire a SEO expert to fix my mess, and that I won't be "crawled" as long as my site stays the way it is.

Yes, the page was not hand coded, I can make text different colors, do headings, and cosmetic things to the site.

Would your recommendation be to just start over and hire it done?

Is it expensive? Or is it fixable?

Thank you!
  • ronburk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now you're sort of into big life questions that may be beyond the scope of a simple website review forum. The "do I hire someone" question depends on things like how much money you have or expect to make, how willing and able you are personally to learn technical details to do it yourself, and so on.

And what's up with http://www.buyersoasis.com? Is that your site as well? Kinda hope so, or it looks like opportunities for legal problems.

Quote:
They come in and stop without crawling the pages of the site
Again, if you can be really, really specific, you can probably get some answers. If the robot didn't crawl at least one page, then you would never know it had come at all! So, maybe you're saying all it looks at is /robots.txt? Or, maybe you're saying is that it only looks at /robots.txt and the home page.

Maybe it would help to set expectations. If I put a new site up, I figure Google will likely come visit the home page within days (if not hours). If it doesn't, then I'll make sure I add a link to the new site from a site that Google visits regularly. At that point, I figure the Googlebot will come visit my home page perhaps every few days, but will refuse to crawl any lower pages, except maybe once a month. If I want Google to crawl my entire site on a frequent basis, I'll have to get my "page rank" up. (Google for "page rank" and you can find a million sources of information on this.).

How long has your site been up? What pages does googlebot visit and how often? How many inbound links do you have, and what is the page rank of the pages those links are coming from? Depending on the answers to these questions, the (Google) spider behaviour you're seeing may be entirely normal and expected.

Google for "search engine guide" and you should be able find a variety of free and introductory material on the search engines and how they intersect with marketing your website.
  • eppskevin
  • Loc: Durham, NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Looks pretty darn good for a preschooler!!! :D"

I thought this would say it all, but I guess not. I went over your site again, and I like the color that you used for this site. Where did you get all of the pics from? Everything looks marvelous to me. I really like the banner at top and the layout. The only thing that I could possibly say something about is the amount of stuff that on one page. It's a lot to look thru. But, that is probably my thing. Other than that, good job!!
  • oasis30
  • oasis30

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol...did I make preschool yet? I will just keep reading on this site...some things are making sense!
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The text on your menus is very small and hard to read. This is partly because it is very light.

I would kill the scripty font, whatever it is. Use something easier to read.

You have a site map on every page-it's not needed. Make a page that is a site map and link to it from each page. You are wasting a lot of space with it the way it is.

As far as your navigation-good job on using text links rather than images, that will help your SEO. BTW-you won't get results over night.

That's all I have time for right now, but tonight I'll try to take a look at your code and help you out with SEO. Good luck.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took another look at your site and it doesn't look like anything has changed. I'll offer some advice on your meta tags, but I'm not going to put a lot of time into this post since you haven't listened to anything that anyone said yet.

Your meta tags are this
Code: [ Select ]
<META NAME="author" CONTENT="The Buyer's Oasis">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="From electronics to kids PC games to gifts we have what you are looking for and more! The Buyer's Oasis motto is: the customer is #1. We're here to assist you.">
<META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="Local">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="games, free games, online games, books, dvd, software, video games, computer parts, game, pc games, electronics, computer virus, computer games, portable dvd players, dvd players, dvd software, book stores, online shopping, free pc games, accounting software, discount software, computer software, tax software, cheap software, violent video games, kids pc games, childrens pc games, new pc games, latest pc games, new video games, digital camera, audio, home audio equipment">
<META NAME="rating" CONTENT="General">
<META NAME="reply-to" CONTENT="purplesage@yours.com">
<META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="1 month">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="ALL">
<META NAME="copyright" CONTENT="The Buyer's Oasis">
  1. <META NAME="author" CONTENT="The Buyer's Oasis">
  2. <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="">
  3. <META NAME="description" CONTENT="From electronics to kids PC games to gifts we have what you are looking for and more! The Buyer's Oasis motto is: the customer is #1. We're here to assist you.">
  4. <META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="Local">
  5. <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="games, free games, online games, books, dvd, software, video games, computer parts, game, pc games, electronics, computer virus, computer games, portable dvd players, dvd players, dvd software, book stores, online shopping, free pc games, accounting software, discount software, computer software, tax software, cheap software, violent video games, kids pc games, childrens pc games, new pc games, latest pc games, new video games, digital camera, audio, home audio equipment">
  6. <META NAME="rating" CONTENT="General">
  7. <META NAME="reply-to" CONTENT="purplesage@yours.com">
  8. <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="1 month">
  9. <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="ALL">
  10. <META NAME="copyright" CONTENT="The Buyer's Oasis">

and this is all you need.
Code: [ Select ]
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="From electronics to kids PC games to gifts we have what you are looking for and more! The Buyer's Oasis motto is: the customer is #1. We're here to assist you.">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="games, free games, online games, books, dvd, software, video games, computer parts, game, pc games, electronics, computer virus, computer games, portable dvd players, dvd players, dvd software, book stores, online shopping, free pc games, accounting software, discount software, computer software, tax software, cheap software, violent video games, kids pc games, childrens pc games, new pc games, latest pc games, new video games, digital camera, audio, home audio equipment">
  1. <META NAME="description" CONTENT="From electronics to kids PC games to gifts we have what you are looking for and more! The Buyer's Oasis motto is: the customer is #1. We're here to assist you.">
  2. <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="games, free games, online games, books, dvd, software, video games, computer parts, game, pc games, electronics, computer virus, computer games, portable dvd players, dvd players, dvd software, book stores, online shopping, free pc games, accounting software, discount software, computer software, tax software, cheap software, violent video games, kids pc games, childrens pc games, new pc games, latest pc games, new video games, digital camera, audio, home audio equipment">

In reality you should really tone down the number of KWs you have in that anyway. They should be specific to the page, not the same throughout the site. Keep it below 255 characters.
  • datums
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • datums

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think reorganizing the site on paper might help.
Things look a bit scattered. This doesn't help a visitors, just pushes them away.
  • murdah
  • murdah

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a longer term fix but a cheap solution is to just change and revamp your site totally!!!

Use a shopping cart freeware out there. My personal recommendation is oscommerce. Search google or go to http://www.oscommerce.com

It will do you some magic and take care of all your meta tag and spidering issues.

Murdah

http://www.urbantoys.ca <---oscommerce implementation (granted very heavy modifications)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers