SITE REVIEW: http://www.best-mobile-phones.org.uk/

• Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

Wanted to ask your opinion about this domain. I didn't write the application but I am now getting involved moving forward and wondered what peeps thought of the idea and presentation :?: It's a mobile phone review site plugged into an affiliate scheme. Would greatly appreciate any ideas and would double-appreciate (with big knobs on) anybody willing to take 5 minutes to review their own mobile.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.best-mobile-phones.org.uk/

Cheers, Prime ... :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• cancer10
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • cancer10

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

1) Long URL - cannot be remembered by a lot of ppl.

2) Slow site. Move to a diff host.

3) since its a mobile related site the domain extension could be .mobi.
  • phppoddotcom
  • phppoddotcom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very slow download of the site. The overall design is quite old fashioned.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should either figure out different background colors so the phone isn't clipping white on blue, or change the phone backgrounds to transparent.
  • mattbeedle
  • Born
  • Born
  • mattbeedle

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am the person who created/administers the site. Thanks for taking the time to look at it. In response to your feedback:

1). The site is aimed more at getting traffic from search engines. Hence review pages (when) written are text heavy, with high keyword density. There are loads of phone sites out there, and consumer loyalty is very low. The only successful model for smaller brands/affiliate sites at present seems to be search engine optimisation and linking stategies.

2). Either I was doing some uploading, or there was a problem a connection when you were looking at the site. It is hosted on Amazon EC2 with a server all to itself, and all pages are cached using memcached. The site itself serves pages at around 50 per second at least even when caching is turned off. I do upload quite frequently at present though, so that is a likely cause.

3). .mobi domain, as far as I am aware, is for sites that are meant to be viewed on a mobile device. Here is a quote from an interview with Rick Fant from .mobi:

"mobi essentially got started by Microsoft, Nokia, and Vodafone, taking a look at the mobile market and trying to figure out how to grow the mobile internet usage on PDAs, cell phones, and other mobile devices. They came to the conclusion that a .mobi or a mobile top level domain would be a way by which consumers could very quickly identify mobile services and then of course use them from the mobile device."

Best-mobile-phones.org.uk is currently aimed at PC users, although in the future I may launch a mobile version, at which time I will create a separate .mobi version.

Thanks again for your input. Any other constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
  • mattbeedle
  • Born
  • Born
  • mattbeedle

Post 3+ Months Ago

@nexas, yes I totally agree. That is on my list of things to do. At present the photos are all automatically downloaded and resized by the site when I add a new phone. I'm not sure if there is a way to programatically make the background transparent. Other wise I was thinking of fading from white to blue using css around the images. Any thoughts?
  • mattbeedle
  • Born
  • Born
  • mattbeedle

Post 3+ Months Ago

One more thing I think I should point out. A lot of the phone pages are filled with blank space right now. This is because there is no review written yet, so I have just chucked a bit of text in there. Here is an example of a finished phone review as I hope they will all look soon: http://www.best-mobile-phones.org.uk/ma ... ones/K770i

Thanks again,

Matt
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

mattbeedle wrote:
@nexas, yes I totally agree. That is on my list of things to do. At present the photos are all automatically downloaded and resized by the site when I add a new phone. I'm not sure if there is a way to programatically make the background transparent. Other wise I was thinking of fading from white to blue using css around the images. Any thoughts?

Anything that makes it not stand out will work fine. A simple gradient image via CSS would fill this nicely, as all it would take is a padding and background tag.
  • bl24
  • Born
  • Born
  • bl24

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

A seperator between the phones, to create a "box" effect, might be useful.

Agree with the comments on .mobi, only if the website is for mobile devices.

Assume that your website is targetted at the UK only, if not, or if you have future plans of expaning, you may want to consider a .com
  • theblogdatabase

Post 3+ Months Ago

Need a better banner, very plain.

You should try and fill in the white surround each phone to make it more seemless looking. Or change the background to much, white instead of blue.

About us looks thrown together in 2 minutes.
Contact us, is bascially blank, do something with it.

Site has promise, but just just look like much work has been put into it. Needs more polish.

Good be great!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers