SITE REVIEW: http://www.neverbuyalincoln.com/

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.neverbuyalincoln.com/

I got totally worked over on my car, and made this site. It should only contain FACTs, please point out anything you think is slanderous as I will remove it.

My goal (which is every webmasters goal really) is to get as near as possible to Google's top search rank for the keyword Lincoln.

1) Does it get across the point enough?
2) Is it too cluttered?
3) When you look at it, can you tell how pissed I am at spending 5 grand on repairs for my car?
4) Do I need a "send this to a friend"
5) What else should I add?
6) Please add a comment or a horror story to get it going.
7) What could I add that would really make people talk about it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

This website has nice colours and graphics, but it might be a problem for some smaller screens.

Maybe add some rollover effects to the links so that people can see that they are links.

On the right hand side of the car there's a line where two colours meet. It's kind of distracting.

Why does the orange below the car stop half-way across the page?

The 'Did you know...?' bit extends over the black right to the edge of the page.

It does seem a tad cramped...

The w3c validator found 49 errors.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I fixed the orange bar (that was an "artistic thing", but it does look better once its fixed)

I fixed the "Did you know.." extending over the edge (again, trying to be artistic)

I changed out the layout a bit and made 2 pages out of the main page. Main and Repairs, rather than all on one page...

Also changed the background from black to a pale green.

Less cluttered?
  • BSmithTT
  • BSmithTT
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) As stated above, you should really consider making the site less wide. Lower resolutions are going to have problems. And seeing as your target market is anyone that might be looking to purchase a car, I would say that there will be a fair percentage that is using a lower resolution.

2) I would remove any references to "I". Make it more of a place FOR people who want to voice an opinion about Lincoln. Then include a page about why you started it and voice all personal opinions there. Fact or not, having personal opinion as the main focus makes the site itself sound like the only reason to exist is to slander. Instead, turn the focus to "lets take action and keep it from happening to anyone else" and people will give you more credit for your effort.

3) I personally think the header needs redesign. You have a lot of unused space and it doesn't really add to the meat of the site. And your graphics have some errors that stand out. (the random dot above the logo where the green meets the white. To the right of the random vehicle image, there are a few shades of green with noticable vertical lines between them, below "priceless" there are more lines)

Something like this would be my recommendation: Click for example image (778px wide, smaller in height, and filled with catching information. This will put it all "above the fold" as well)

This is all just personal opinion and preference. Hope it helps.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow you are soooo right. That is way better. Do you mind if I use your example image?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does this look better?

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3753 ... uy2tk9.jpg

I think its way better.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should get the dealership & the service center you got the repairs done at (assuming they are different places) to provide you with print outs of the cars onboard computer driving records, & post them on the site.

The computer records instances of "extreme operation", things like rapid acceleration & abrupt braking.
Dealerships often use this information as a basis for denying warrenty claims when the owner of the vehicle has been "hot rodding" it.

I was working at a Lincoln Mercury dealership when the LS line was introduced & the Blackwood was just a bunch of pictures salepeople were drooling over.
The very first LS we recieved to put in the showroom had a transmission failure the first day we had it.
On inspection of the computers records, it was discovered that a lot attendant had been "hot rodding" it during a fueling trip & the dealership was held responsible for repairs.

The records could do wonders for your cause, that is, unless you, or someone you let drive it, was "hot rodding" the car.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.neverbuyalincoln.com/content2.html
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that second one you did looks quite good. Well done :)

Also, nice work on the header, BSmithTT
  • BSmithTT
  • BSmithTT

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn wrote:
Do you mind if I use your example image?

Go for it... I don't mind.

I like the new layout by the way.
  • BSmithTT
  • BSmithTT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze wrote:
Also, nice work on the header, BSmithTT

thanks. :D
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) Ok, the site has been completely redesigned based on the above suggestions. I think it one of the best websites I have ever done.

2) Thanks for the header BSmithTT - it was completely the inspiration for the new design. If you need any PHP programming done, just drop me a line.
  • viperpray
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • viperpray

Post 3+ Months Ago

lawl somone needs to make a ford one fun site thogh :)
  • Texnation
  • Born
  • Born
  • Texnation

Post 3+ Months Ago

Indeed it, works rather well.
2) Is it too cluttered?
A bit, i would clear it up, but thats just me
3) When you look at it, can you tell how pissed I am at spending 5 grand on repairs for my car?
Hell Yeah!
I would
Hmmmm don't know
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made a MySpace page with my website too!

Has anyone had success with MySpace marketing?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =186479702
  • gamarketgirl
  • gamarketgirl

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW,
The information on here is CRAZY ! I think the " priceless" quote is funny I love it :"}

camperjohn wrote:

I got totally worked over on my car, and made this site. It should only contain FACTs, please point out anything you think is slanderous as I will remove it.

My goal (which is every webmasters goal really) is to get as near as possible to Google's top search rank for the keyword Lincoln.

2) Is it too cluttered?
6) Please add a comment or a horror story to get it going.
7) What could I add that would really make people talk about it?
  • logoleptic
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks good and delivers its message very well. I dig the color scheme. You're using colors that remind the viewer of (1) money and (2) things on fire... seems very appropriate. ;-)

I've never tried marketing on MySpace. By completely obscuring your profile page, however, you're probably missing out on the social aspects of the site that are its most powerful feature. What if you could get all the other angry Lincoln owners to "friend" you, and become some kind of authority on crappy Lincolns? I don't know much about MySpace, but from what I've seen these hypothetical friends would need access to your profile page for that.

Update: If there's one thing I'd "fix" about the site, it's the way you're presenting links in the main content area and right-hand sidebar. Giving all of them a background color makes the page look more haphazard than it really is, detracting from the great work you've done. If it were me, I'd nix the background except on hover. I'd keep the bolding, but also make them underlined (usability studies show that underlined = link in the mind of Web users). To top it off and make them stand out, change the link color in the center and right columns to match the dark red background you're using on "FACT".

Except for underlining (which has been proven important), link presentation is a pretty subjective thing. I think you could do this one thing a bit better, but you're free to take my advice with a grain of salt.
  • fulload
  • Loc: Isle of Wight, Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ugh...
I can sooo relate.
Back in 1986 (I think) when the Ford Taurus first came out, we (foolishly) ordered one, sight unseen, fully loaded with every option!

Let's just say that we only owned it for a little over 2 1/2 years... 3 transmissions, 4 intank-fuel-sending-units, the seatbelts would fail when they were holding our son's car seat and one time as we were exiting an exit ramp this happened and the car seat slid across the leather seats striking the rear drivers side door and the door flew open! Had it not been for our then 9 year old daughter grabbing and hanging onto the seat... I shudder to think what would have happened. Finally, after posting LEMON signs in the window for over a year, my husband and I dumped the car onto another Ford dealership, took our money and ran! Ford did nothing for us.

I wish that the internet had been what it is today...

Great site with great appeal and the potential opportunity of warning others of the potential pitfalls of buying a car with trouble.

I like the color layout as it stands now. The context is useful and the site is simple to navigate. I do feel however that for some reason the header seems to be bumping over the top, optically... just a thought...

I remain,
g

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers