SITE REVIEW: http://www.TemplateBase.net

• tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just put together my site http://www.TemplateBase.net ..Please check out the main page and tell me what you guys and gals think about it...Its all tmonster stuff right now,but I will soon have original website templates and flash intros up soon.. thanks all :lol:
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

no reviews :shock: its not that bad
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

allrighty then ;-)

Design wise, it good enough for what it does i guess......,personally i think the design is a little too much like youve grabbed a cms and slapped an skin onto it. there are so many sites now using that style and just changing the style sheet or changing the banner image or changing buttons. I would suggest the designer coming up with a unique concept for the site that really sets it appart from the rest. maybe just me but i wouldnt buy anything from a site that doesnt look shmick for starters, some of the typography and other design elements could be style more effectively.

also who are the target audience for the templates? business owners, designers, developers? the messaging on the homepage could be targeted more towards your audiences.

i like the categories menu, of which other template sites i have seen, dont have...very handy.

not trying to be negative, just encourage people to do better and not settle for anything less than the best. and to do something different from everyone else ;)

hope that helps
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the input :) Anyone else got anything to enlighten me on...
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, at the risk of sounding extremely mean, I am giving you the award for least logical use of javascript ever. You have a simple text nav, <b>generated</b> by JS, with rollover colour changes done with JS. The only reason I noticed was because of the momentary delay on the hover. The entire thing can be done without JS, and will improve your accesibility and SEO.

In addition the text nav becomes unreadable on hover. I like links to stand out <b>more</b> when I mouse over them, not less.

I agree with droid that the categories menu is a very good concept, but I feel it is poorly implimented.

Secondly your layout breaks with text zoom. Not everyone has their text size set to default, and some people CANNOT use the browser with text at default size.

The skip intro button on the flash could do with being removed, as an intro it is not. It might confuse people.

On pages that are yet to come, I would put a note saying "this section coming soon" or something. It just looks a little better than an empty page.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

the flash bit in the middle is amazing, how did you do that?
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I won't get into the technical side of things cuz it's not really my strong point. Leave that to RTM...but I can say that I LOVE the 3d aspect of your templates-which brings me to a really dumb question. Why do the templates look so much better than your site? A lot of your templates look awsome, your should take some aspects (or start from scratch) and make your site more compeling & interactive. What it looks like to me is that you spent a lot of time building a lot of great templates and then started working on your site after you were a bit burnt out. I would suggest take a little while off of it, then come back and redesign it with a fresh mind. Keep up the great work, you will do just fine.

One thing I noticed when I went back was that all of your templates seem to have sort of an edgy techno feel to them. I think you should tone some of them down a bit, make them fit the subject. Some subjects need a softer more personal feel. To give you an example, I tend to design the same way as you, but on my site http://www.vsssleep.com it is really toned down. On a site review that I had posted someone had mentioned that it wasn't very exciting-what they missed was that was exactly the point. As a bed company, you want a site that is relaxing.

When you are designing the templates, try to think about what would be going through the persons mind if they were in the market for whatever product the site would sell. A florists site would probably be visited by men looking for flower for their lady(s) or by women so you may want to take a softer approach and appeal to things women would like.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I dont think I could say too much past what rtm and droid had to say. It would be cruel to just repeat it. :D I do think however that your flash animation should only play once. it got annoying real fast. Just over and over and over again. I was just surfing the home page for a while first thats how I noticed.

Your code also has no doctype.

I didnt really like the font you used for your button images. It doesnt fit with the rest of the site.

Not a bad site. Not very origanal (besides having the catogories readily accesable) but nicely done.

rate: 4/10
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow..thanks for the great info peeps :) I am going to redesign the site this weekend,and the categories that are in java will be redone without java ..For better SEO...Thanks ..I mean it :)
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

how did you make the flash bit in the middle, with the TVs? :O
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Why do the templates look so much better than your site? A lot of your templates look awsome, your should take some aspects (or start from scratch) and make your site more compeling & interactive.
I have to agree with this comment the templates really do rock but your page is no where close to any of those hight quality templates. :x Did you design all of those? If so wtf are you doing? make that page look good! It'll attract more people if the page looked good.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

erm hello, how did you make the tvs in the flash bit in the middle???
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

you just asked that Relax....
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

:$... today it seems i cant just do that... for some reason :(
  • Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well apart from the fact that he didn't design any of those templates. (They have been used on tons of website template sites). I do really like your site. May i ask where you got the script to sell the templates from?
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok peeps ...Just to clear things up a bit ...almost all of the templates on there are from Template Monster...I am an reseller of their templates..I made templatebase.net from scratch though..I have tons of templates and flash intros that I have made myself,and I am in the process of watermarking my content...I will sell my templates and intros along with the template monster templates on my site...My site will also have my tutorials and some free resources for designers...I already have a couple high google pr sites that I will be linking to template base...As for the intro it was purchased off template monster so time ago.I just edited it to my liking,and to be honest I just threw it together,and it wasnt that good..I have redone it again and haven't placed it on the site yet,I took out the music and stopped it from looping the clip.I also made the filesize alot smaller.Its over 500k right now on the site..way to big for the dialup users...

and again thanks for the input...it really helps :wink:

and for purplehaze....I never said I made them all ...I have took down the temps I made because of people stealing them..nobody here was guilty of that though...If you are interested in selling templates.PM me and I will tell you more about the scripts 8)
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

how did you do that middle flash bit with the TV? tell me please!?! :(
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I explained that in my previous post NEM! Did you read it...The (tv screens )part was probally made with a 3d rendering program such as lightwave,swift,adobe after effects,or maya...... :shock:
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh... :O sorry, i got alot of learning to do now... again.

Web design is endless... What a pain in the A**

nah love it really :D
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

8)
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently made a few changes to the site...Anyways check it out, and let me know what I could do better.I am mainly concerned with the search engine optimization aspect of it now..

thanks 8) tbase
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will someone please help me figure out what I could do better on my site with search engine optimization..I feel like I am going I circles.. :roll:
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

firstly you have *way too much table code, most of your page is made up of it, not good. some of the seo guys can correct me if wrong but a search engine will not even get to your content through all that unneeded code.

i would suggest going with a full css layout for many reasons - faster loading, easier to update, better seo, more accessible etc.

here are some links of css resources

http://intensivstation.ch/css/template.php

http://www.mentalized.net/cssdepot/
http://www.ssi-developer.net/main/templates/
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts
http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/index.mhtml

also using the font tag, better of using css to control your type.

and look like none of your images have descriptive alt tags.

i'd start with these ;-)
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I reduced the table code a little bit.I also noticed it loads faster than before which is good..I also completely redeigned the top of the site...Will some peeps check it out and tell me what ya think about it.I apreciate all the info you guys have givin already..Keep it coming please..It really really helps.. 8) 8) 8)

Thanks Tbase :lol:
  • philgill
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
i would agree with almost everything already said here and add a couple of things if i may. The white text on a blue background is a little hard to read. A little less contrast by either softnening the background blue or maybe making the text a creamier colour would really make for better reading.
Every good multimedia person knows that white both draws and relaxes the eye. When reading human eyes will move to a blank white space every so often to rest before carrying on. The only sizable piece of white space you have is the catagories menu on the left. (you could also include your banner even though its grey. This makes it a very tiring experience for the user and they will not take all the information in. Try toning the contrast down again.
Otherwise a nice looking design for the home page. The banner must have taken a while.
phil
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Philgill...I will probaly change the colors on the site when I get satisfied with my content.I have been picked up by the spiders quicker than I expected...The spiders got me from my sig on a couple forums..I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WOULD HAPPEN..Anyways Im trying to get all my content on the site asap..I have almost 30 pages out of 100 done in 2 days...my fingers are going numb :shock:

Once again thanks for the input..Anyoneone that has something to tell me..Thanks in advance :lol:
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not getting any traffic... Will someone please look and tell me what I am doing wrong.. I know seo takes time,, but a have been spidered by a ton of engines.I have decent placement on a small number of them..I need more

I also need incoming links...anybody have any ideas..I thought about a banner exchange..But the results I have seen suck so far.. ERR

Do you people think my keyword density is to high on the index page?

There must be something I am doing wrong!!

Please help.....Please
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

if someone already posted about this ignore:

wats with the top 3 lil icons, usually they should have a function, like bookmark, they seem to be there for pure looks, and tob banner, it appears like the top sortve button edges seem to make me try to click them to see what happens as if they awere functional.

some of the pages are off,
http://michelle.leetone.net/stuff/templateproblems.jpg

I see you add empty links with names to get more higher google rank/engine lure. :P
---
you can always get paid advertisement on other site.. to gather people..
  • tbase
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks foxy...I dont get the exploded with my browser(internet explorer).

But I want to make sure I get it fixed..What browser were you using??

As for the other links I am working on those right know..There is content going those pages also...

does anyone have thoughts on the keyword density..I fear it is to high..
And I hope the search engines will not penilize me for them..

8) 8) 8)
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

tbase wrote:
thanks foxy...I dont get the exploded with my browser(internet explorer).

But I want to make sure I get it fixed..What browser were you using??

As for the other links I am working on those right know..There is content going those pages also...

does anyone have thoughts on the keyword density..I fear it is to high..
And I hope the search engines will not penilize me for them..

8) 8) 8)

that was Mozilla 1.7, same issue on netscape, and FireFox 0.9
on safari its not so bad...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 39 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers