SITE REVIEW: http://www.urbandexterous.com

• peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings Fellow Web Designers:

Would you please take time from your busy schedules to offer your critique on the following site:

http://www.urbandexterous.com

The intent of this site is to provide news updates, interesting content and entertainment - while promoting worthwhile causes...and if I can make a few bucks in the process, that would be nice too. ':D'

Please feel free to point out any annoyances, discrepancies or anything that takes away from its stated intent.

Thank you all.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know This is one of those sites where I dont really have nothing negative to say.

Great work, Usually adds annoy me, But you have placed them great, So you obtain a great looking website.

All the links work fine, No spelling errors from what I see, Nice clean and simple colour scheme.

Your website seems to work Fine In FF and Opera so Guess thats an upside :P
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
You know This is one of those sites where I dont really have nothing negative to say.

Great work, Usually adds annoy me, But you have placed them great, So you obtain a great looking website.

All the links work fine, No spelling errors from what I see, Nice clean and simple colour scheme.

Your website seems to work Fine In FF and Opera so Guess thats an upside :P

Liam -

Appreciate your critique. It was my intent to create a site that was both "clean" and used a "simple colour scheme," but wasn't sure if it came across. The advertisements were a bit tricky, since I too am not fond of them...but if you're trying to generate some income, they're a necessary evil :wink:
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your welcome, You have done a good Job. Like I said I hate adds, But they are placed great :P
  • ClintonR
  • Born
  • Born
  • ClintonR
  • Loc: ILLINOIS, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a newbie here with a capital N, so I'm speaking primarily from an end user perspective and from a personal preference of design perspective here so take this for what it's worth plus the grain of salt.

I agree with the simple and clean assessment of penguin, the adds aren't too distracting and content appears substantive. The only complaint, if you want to call it that, I would have would be the load time of the AP Vpods. I have a slow connection (old dsl speeds here with Verizon's new everywhere "high speed" forgot which band they call it now).

I also, again as an end user, am usually put off by not being able to view a message board before registering. Granted registering is quick, easy, etc. but why bother if you have no idea about the quality of the board you are registering for.

The blog looked great, I may actually return.

The e-store was a bit all over the place, I like how the categories were set up at least.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ClintonR wrote:
I'm a newbie here with a capital N, so I'm speaking primarily from an end user perspective and from a personal preference of design perspective here so take this for what it's worth plus the grain of salt.

I agree with the simple and clean assessment of penguin, the adds aren't too distracting and content appears substantive. The only complaint, if you want to call it that, I would have would be the load time of the AP Vpods. I have a slow connection (old dsl speeds here with Verizon's new everywhere "high speed" forgot which band they call it now).

I also, again as an end user, am usually put off by not being able to view a message board before registering. Granted registering is quick, easy, etc. but why bother if you have no idea about the quality of the board you are registering for.

The blog looked great, I may actually return.

The e-store was a bit all over the place, I like how the categories were set up at least.

Thanks for taking the time to review my site. As for the "Vpods" I have no control over how long they take to download; I have a high speed connection, but at times they seems to take longer to appear on my browser - the download time does vary. However, I will continue to make them available since they offer the kind of content that I want to provide.

You bring up a good point about making the forum visible to the public. The forum content, at this point in time, is somewhat meager to say the least. In which case, opening the forum to the pubic at this time would probably not be a good strategy if I'm looking to get people to register. This is a relatively new site, so it will take time to get the word out. Once the forum is beefed-up I'll revisit this matter.

Yes, the e-store is perhaps over-exposed; however, there's a saying, "out of sight, out of mind." As I mentioned in a previous post, it was a challenge deciding where to place the ads. If you, or anyone else, can offer a better solution you would certainly have my attention.

Thanks again.
  • Boke
  • Student
  • Student
  • Boke
  • Loc: Hiroshima, Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I liked it, the only thing I didn't like was the ad at the top
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to also comment, As I have just noticed how great that page curl is on the top right corner.

I think that really makes the website look cool and great.
  • sishomarue
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sishomarue

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site looks good overall, however the header image is not as great as it could be. The left side of the page looks great...Immediately the colors reminded me of Symantec's, you do know you copied their favicon, right? Anyways, your site looks good on the left, but I think it needs some improvement on the right.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
I would like to also comment, As I have just noticed how great that page curl is on the top right corner.

I think that really makes the website look cool and great.

Yeah, that page curl is pretty cool. It's one Joomla's pluggins. Joomla, and the other Open Source stuff that's out there, will eventually put your run-of-the-mill "webmasters" out of business :lol:
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

sishomarue wrote:
I think the site looks good overall, however the header image is not as great as it could be. The left side of the page looks great...Immediately the colors reminded me of Symantec's, you do know you copied their favicon, right? Anyways, your site looks good on the left, but I think it needs some improvement on the right.

I suppose I would know that I copied Symantec's favicon, since I did in fact copy it. Do you suppose that Symantec knows that they copied their favicon from the Chinese Yin/Yang symbol? In any case, it's all good.

Your comment about the header is on target; however, I have no creative input since the banners originate with their respective sponsors. The only control I have is whether or not to pull the plug on it/them.

As for your comment regarding the left side vs. the right side of the page, I would have to ask you if you aren't being somewhat biased by the content on the right. Is it because of the advertisements, classifies and Charity pleas on the right that minimize that side's effectiveness?

Thank you for your feedback.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been throwing glances at your site and was wondering whether to comment or not but I guess I shall :)

The design is nice and clean, but it could in my view stand to be even cleaner - there's too many lines, somehow. You've got the grayish line above the date (which I would take out and move the date up to be in line with the word 'username' at the top of the left-side column), underline under the title of each section and then another gray fuzzy underline under that (which is too thick and strong to be the shadow of the solid title underline, if that's what you intended it as) - so there again I would either thin out and weaken the gray fuzzy line, or take it out entirely. also it bugs me how those lines touch the edge of the section container at the left side - I'd give them a few mm of breathing room.

also, what is that dark blue fuzzy pill sitting atop the end of the underlines of the section titles, on the right side? it's not clickable, it's fuzzy, and it sits there quite awkwardly in my view - will it have a purpose eventually, or is it meant as a decorative measure? I'd suggest again - take it out.....

In the header again I would simplify things - I'd take out that gray blob of a shadow that's darkening your site name. It doesn't really give it any depth in my view, just makes it a little harder to read. Aesthetically it also bugs me a little how the search bar is sticking out of the design - I might suggest making it white and moving it down in line with the 'home' link, and extending the right side of the header design to match the left in shape and size.....................

anyhow, most of these quibbles are matters of aesthetic preference rather than objective criticism. It's a good-looking site - keep it up..............
  • zumzum
  • zumzum

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have done a good Job. The design is nice and clean. Well done mate
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
I've been throwing glances at your site and was wondering whether to comment or not but I guess I shall :)

The design is nice and clean, but it could in my view stand to be even cleaner - there's too many lines, somehow. You've got the grayish line above the date (which I would take out and move the date up to be in line with the word 'username' at the top of the left-side column), underline under the title of each section and then another gray fuzzy underline under that (which is too thick and strong to be the shadow of the solid title underline, if that's what you intended it as) - so there again I would either thin out and weaken the gray fuzzy line, or take it out entirely. also it bugs me how those lines touch the edge of the section container at the left side - I'd give them a few mm of breathing room.

also, what is that dark blue fuzzy pill sitting atop the end of the underlines of the section titles, on the right side? it's not clickable, it's fuzzy, and it sits there quite awkwardly in my view - will it have a purpose eventually, or is it meant as a decorative measure? I'd suggest again - take it out.....

In the header again I would simplify things - I'd take out that gray blob of a shadow that's darkening your site name. It doesn't really give it any depth in my view, just makes it a little harder to read. Aesthetically it also bugs me a little how the search bar is sticking out of the design - I might suggest making it white and moving it down in line with the 'home' link, and extending the right side of the header design to match the left in shape and size.....................

anyhow, most of these quibbles are matters of aesthetic preference rather than objective criticism. It's a good-looking site - keep it up..............

celandine:

Thank you for taking time out to critique my site. I took most of your suggestions to heart and made the necessary adjustments. Though I now have a bigger issue other than aesthetics, which is generating traffic to my site. Any suggestions?
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

zumzum wrote:
You have done a good Job. The design is nice and clean. Well done mate

thanks zumzum...appreciate the feedback
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

(Viewed with Firefox 2.0.0.1.2)

Here's a nice site that I found: http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Just a few things.

The header:
1. there's a break or a line that runs vertically up and down to the right of the navigation. Looks awkward.
2. the navigation is very plain and a little crowded. i would space it out or put some "|" between them. And maybe a larger font that stands out just a little more.
3. the imagery, sorry man but it's just bad. the rounded corners look a little squared off. the image of the bull looks a little skewed. the fade on the rounds looks uneven or something.
4. the typography you used doesn't really fit the design or the material you are presenting. the text effect on "urbandexterous" looks a little dated and doesn't fit what you're doing. and you should have used a different font underneath. and get rid of the white line.
5. the image of the earth should line up with the edge of the banner or in other words line up with the edge of the search box.
6. the search box seems to be in an awkward place. Maybe give it more space at the top.
7. maybe add a link back to the homepage within the logo.

Colors
1. I like the scheme. But I think you should add a color or two to the bg of the main content. You have too much white on your page.
2. Just about all of your text is black, except for a few links. I would mix it up just a little. Take a chance! Explore! Experiment! :)
(Sorry I just noticed the greys)

Layout and Design
1.I really like how the ads are placed and sized. They're eye catching, yet still subtle. Great job. I would only recommend a little more horizontal space between them and your main content column.
2. the small boxes are nice, but the drop shadow is to harsh. either lighten the color or take the opacity down to about 50% of what it is to make it a little softer.
3. the blue pill....unless it's going to get me out of the Matrix....get rid of it. it looks very odd and a little creepy. what does it do?
4. again the text effect is not pretty. get rid of it. you really don't need one there anyways. i would do something to make it stand out, increase the size or change color, but an effect is not needed.
5. on this page: http://www.urbandexterous.com/content/view/39/102/ to the left, above "RESOURCES" is text that says "Home" but it doesn't take me anywhere.

Okay I think that's enough. And this wasn't a personal assault. I do like what you are trying to do, so that's the only reason I put this amount of time into giving you what I consider a thorough review. Good luck!

And let me say that overall it's still pretty good!
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
(Viewed with Firefox 2.0.0.1.2)

Here's a nice site that I found: http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Just a few things.

The header:
1. there's a break or a line that runs vertically up and down to the right of the navigation. Looks awkward.
2. the navigation is very plain and a little crowded. i would space it out or put some "|" between them. And maybe a larger font that stands out just a little more.
3. the imagery, sorry man but it's just bad. the rounded corners look a little squared off. the image of the bull looks a little skewed. the fade on the rounds looks uneven or something.
4. the typography you used doesn't really fit the design or the material you are presenting. the text effect on "urbandexterous" looks a little dated and doesn't fit what you're doing. and you should have used a different font underneath. and get rid of the white line.
5. the image of the earth should line up with the edge of the banner or in other words line up with the edge of the search box.
6. the search box seems to be in an awkward place. Maybe give it more space at the top.
7. maybe add a link back to the homepage within the logo.

Colors
1. I like the scheme. But I think you should add a color or two to the bg of the main content. You have too much white on your page.
2. Just about all of your text is black, except for a few links. I would mix it up just a little. Take a chance! Explore! Experiment! :)
(Sorry I just noticed the greys)

Layout and Design
1.I really like how the ads are placed and sized. They're eye catching, yet still subtle. Great job. I would only recommend a little more horizontal space between them and your main content column.
2. the small boxes are nice, but the drop shadow is to harsh. either lighten the color or take the opacity down to about 50% of what it is to make it a little softer.
3. the blue pill....unless it's going to get me out of the Matrix....get rid of it. it looks very odd and a little creepy. what does it do?
4. again the text effect is not pretty. get rid of it. you really don't need one there anyways. i would do something to make it stand out, increase the size or change color, but an effect is not needed.
5. on this page: http://www.urbandexterous.com/content/view/39/102/ to the left, above "RESOURCES" is text that says "Home" but it doesn't take me anywhere.

Okay I think that's enough. And this wasn't a personal assault. I do like what you are trying to do, so that's the only reason I put this amount of time into giving you what I consider a thorough review. Good luck!

And let me say that overall it's still pretty good!

zaiah:

Thank you for you input. Based on your suggestions I made some changes, particularly with the banner; I have never been all that pleased with it to begin with.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers