SITE REVIEW: http://www.wedevoy.com/

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you mean left column? Because right column is the main content (forum).
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what he means, I was thinking the same thing. left_column's color scheme doesn't really match the rest of the site. Try some different colors for it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was afraid of that :) Let me see what I can do with it
  • middayc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Slovenia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ups, yes .. left column.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I've got the homepage and viewforum.php where I want it and I need assistance in the viewtopic.php though. I don't know what colors I want those blocks to be and I'm thinking to put the user information (as to who posted, if their online ... etc. etc.) on the top of each post...

Something like the following image:

Any other suggestions as to what colors to use, what layout to user or something else entirely about it or something else would be awesome and greatly appreciated :D

Thanks for all the great help so far :D :)

So, what do you guys think about that? Would you like that, or would that be another reason not to visit the site?
  • raananschwartz
  • Born
  • Born
  • raananschwartz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seems like a great and light design.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not a huge fan of the profile info going all the way across the top. If everything goes all the way across it pushes actual content further down the page. I like the way ozzu has it set up.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
Im not a huge fan of the profile info going all the way across the top. If everything goes all the way across it pushes actual content further down the page. I like the way ozzu has it set up.
ok, I was worrying about the same thing...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, I just updated my site.

I changed the left column a bit and the viewtopic.php design. The posts are viewed a little bit differently then you are used to, but I think that is okay. Please give a review on it :) (To see what I'm talking about View this topic).

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout. Do you want some feedback on some details I noticed?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
I like the layout. Do you want some feedback on some details I noticed?

Yes, I always want them :) Feedback on anything and everything about my site :D
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I was thinking of breaking up the space a little more in the forum area (basically I just changed the header and made the site bar a hair darker so that the content of the post was brighter and drew your eye a little more). Also the white line goes into the bottom border on FF3.5 in OSX. Also I don't mind the red used in the forum but using both the red and the blue seems a little much.

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know where the red is coming from... I don't get that (The 'Forum Rules' link there), but my username and the status ('offline') thing, I made that red...

Well, Forum Rules is only red on Hover... maybe that is what you're talking about... or red overall...

I think I like your idea for the color on the topic subject... I even have a great idea about it that would probably stop the line from doing whatever it's doing :D

Thanks
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright.. updated the design... how do you like it now?

By the way, thanks for the awesome reviews and tips guys... that helps me out a ton... it's a great learning process as well :D Not to mention a great way to make the design and site better :D :D :D

Also, what do you think about the position of the status?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could you drop the size of the forum headers ("Forum Rules") to 1.5 or 1.75em? It just seems a little big and off balanced. Also you might want to pad the profile info a little more on top, at least so it sits as low as the top of the post to its right.

Still not sure about the green (in the header)/blue (in the sidebar and some in the content area)/red (only in content area) color scheme. Try to narrow down to 2 colors 1 as the primary 1 as the compliment. Try to use the same scheme in all 3 areas header sidebar and content. Does that make sense? Just an idea.
  • ppetrov76
  • ppetrov76

Post 3+ Months Ago

Based on my quick look into your site I have the following comments to add:

1. Layout looks good, pretty standard for a Forum site.
2. Colors are a matter of taste so I can't really make a proper comment on that - not necessarily my thing because probably my choices of colors would probably not be very impressive either.
3. SEO wise your site needs a LOT of work - all these forums and sub forums need the URLs converted to some relevant and understandable naming and also the site title tags on each page should be relevant to each forum and to the modified SEO friendly URLs - this will help with search engine ranking. You can take a look of how I rewrite my URLs and site Titles in one of my most recent hand coded php projects at [domain removed] it is a PHP Clone of XOM Reviews and looks almost identical - but I put in a great deal of work in the URL's and page titles and the keywords in order to push the site up in the search engines and I seem to be getting an SEO score of 96% (which I believe is pretty darn good for an SEO Rookie like myself) :) Hope the relatively short and brief review of mine is of some help to you :)

Cheers,

Pete
Moderator Remark: Domain removed - we appreciate the review, but if you would like others to view your site, please follow the guidelines.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, I can't really go down to 2 colors... unless I make the administrator's and all the team's colors the same, and online/offline the same.

I like how Ozzu has their Offline red and online green, and I kind of want to keep that, but I also don't want that color scheme through out the site... I want to use the blue and light blue for hover...

For the 'breadcrumbs' above, I used black without thinking... I'll change that to darker blue.

I don't see any green in the header... I see yellow and black...

I'll change the size as soon as I get to it... thanks for that suggestion... and I'll put some padding to the profile thing.

Thanks... more feedback would be appreciated :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ppetrov76... I'm aware of the links and the SEO thing, I installed a SEO Mod for the forum that would take care of it, I just didn't have time to put it into effect yet... I'll try to get to it today.

Your review was helpful though... if you see any other SEO errors (or anyone else for that matter), I would gladly read through them and try to fix them... even if I have a novel worth of SEO errors :lol:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have changed my design a little bit... what do you guys think?

Changes
  • Different background image in left navigation headers
  • Different color on the hover on left navigation
  • Topic links, forum links, and breadcrumb links are not as bold
  • Forum descriptions are indented 10 pixels
  • Bread crumbs links, forum links, and topic links are light blue on hover (Instead of black/red).
  • More information in the footer
  • Smaller text in footer
  • Print/Email-a-friend icons on the top left besides the font increase/decrease function in topics/emails
  • Smaller text in topic subjects above each post (Thanks to CXLink)
  • The background image where the topic subjects are is a little bigger
  • Text in topic subjects above each post has a padding at the top of 6 pixels.
  • Added a horizontal rule under the breadcrumbs (Not sure if I need it there)
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was a problem in IE8 (brought to my attention by a different forum) where the input fields (of the log-in box) would align with the text, going past the left column into the right column and blocking the text closest to the left column but still on the right column :lol:

Anyway, I think I have fixed that... could someone who has IE8 (I don't have it) check it out for me?

And while you're at it, I would really like a good review :D

Thanks
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

just tested in IE8, login looks good. Might I suggest changing the headers of your navigation area to bold, they're a bit hard to read because they're white and have light grey stripes behind them
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
just tested in IE8, login looks good. Might I suggest changing the headers of your navigation area to bold, they're a bit hard to read because they're white and have light grey stripes behind them
Thanks for checking :D

Alright... how do the headers of the navigation look now? I hope their not too bold :lol:
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

much better, way easier to read. Your site is coming along pretty good.

anoter suggestion, the background on the "information desk" area in the header. I don't know why, but it doesn't fit. I think perhaps it makes it look a little dull/dim. My only suggestion to try and fix it would be to adjust the lightness/darkness levels of the png used.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about now? I don't know if it is any better or not... my creativity and imagination aren't that great :lol: If you see anything else, I'll be willing to fix it :D
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

and your ".panel" class, maybe change the background from blue to something like #dfe2c7 or perhaps even a little lighter than that, but a light green
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, I like the background on the information desk area better, unfotunately it causes another small problem. The header inside is green as well. Perhaps switch it to a dark grey may make it look a bit better, but it's more a matter of taste rather than functionality at that point so it's up to you.

[edit] actually, changing the header in the information desk to a color that more closely matches the vibrance of the green in your logo would work as well maybe
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

much easier to read now, much better with the informatin header
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about it now? Thanks about the panel thing... your suggestion led me to fixing something else entirely as well :D

Thanks
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

another suggestion since the headers are so small:
Code: [ Select ]
.topiclist .header .icon dt,
.topiclist .header .icon dd {
font-weight: bold;
}
  1. .topiclist .header .icon dt,