SITE REVIEW: http://www.wedevoy.com/

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright :!: About time for a review on wedevoy. I implemented the new design, finished the whole site (As you can see, all of the links work and every function functions :) )

I will add pages and functions as time goes on, but right now, I got that :)

I need a review on the design, content, spelling, grammar and coding. Sorry if I seem to be demanding, but this is the first time I felt this motivated to get it done right and to the end that I think I'm actually going to have a good time with this...

Quite possibly, a new logo would take place in place of the one I got there... I'm feeling really happy right now :handsup:

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's getting there, Bogey :)

I would re-design the logo though, it does look a bit tacky. Perhaps you ought to get up to speed on photoshop, it's a big part of web designing now. The header looks a bit generic at the moment, but I think once you get a nice logo happening it will look a lot better (and I don't want your logo to be just green either :P).

"costum PHP programming" should be "custom PHP programming".

Where you mention "other services" (twice in your first two paragraphs), you should point them in a link to a page where they can read more about these mysterious "other services".

"keeping our costumers/users" should be "keeping our customers/users"

"unless you ask us to do something more busy and hard-core" consider rephrasing that to "however we're very flexible and we'd be happy to handle your complex problems, too" or similar.

"we should get done with your project in a decent amount of time" ... people like myself (or maybe it's just Aussies) tend to interpret a 'decent amount' of anything a large portion, so maybe rephrase it?

I'm still not a fan of the default-blue links ... and is the white background on some of them intentional ... it looks like an error ... itjust doesn't sit right with me.

"Web design is the staple in building the successful site on the competent world wide web." -- I don't really get that sentence. It's on this page.

"Did you just finished your site?" on this page ... no 'ed' on finish required here, Bogey, and you can replace that question mark with a comma, too :) I like commas (the semi-colon's my favourite, though).

Overall I still think it lacks some colour ... the content area just being white is not what Aaron likes ... but then again Aaron is picky. Get that new logo done first!
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, the seperation of text boxes on this page is inconsistent.

1px

2px

No px :( <-- sad because px is the currency of the web, and no px means he's homeless, jobless and womanless.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze wrote:
It's getting there, Bogey :)

Breeze wrote:
I would re-design the logo though, it does look a bit tacky. Perhaps you ought to get up to speed on photoshop, it's a big part of web designing now. The header looks a bit generic at the moment, but I think once you get a nice logo happening it will look a lot better (and I don't want your logo to be just green either :P).

Currently, the logo is being redone... I have that up for the moment though
Breeze wrote:
"costum PHP programming" should be "custom PHP programming".

Where you mention "other services" (twice in your first two paragraphs), you should point them in a link to a page where they can read more about these mysterious "other services".

"keeping our costumers/users" should be "keeping our customers/users"

"unless you ask us to do something more busy and hard-core" consider rephrasing that to "however we're very flexible and we'd be happy to handle your complex problems, too" or similar.

"we should get done with your project in a decent amount of time" ... people like myself (or maybe it's just Aussies) tend to interpret a 'decent amount' of anything a large portion, so maybe rephrase it?

"Did you just finished your site?" on this page ... no 'ed' on finish required here, Bogey, and you can replace that question mark with a comma, too :) I like commas (the semi-colon's my favourite, though).

"Web design is the staple in building the successful site on the competent world wide web." -- I don't really get that sentence. It's on this page.

Those are now fixed... thanks :)
Breeze wrote:
I'm still not a fan of the default-blue links ... and is the white background on some of them intentional ... it looks like an error ... itjust doesn't sit right with me.

I have it underlined when you hover... :lol: Okay okay okay, I'll try a different color...
Breeze wrote:
Overall I still think it lacks some colour ... the content area just being white is not what Aaron likes ... but then again Aaron is picky. Get that new logo done first!

I don't know about making the content area a different color... right now it looks professional... if I add a different color, I may ruin the design... as you well know, I'm horrible with colors, and the content area being white seems right for me...

Breeze wrote:

1px

2px

No px :( <-- sad because px is the currency of the web, and no px means he's homeless, jobless and womanless.

:lol: I can't do anything about that...

More reviews would be greatly appreciated :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about the link colors now? I'm not sure I like the content links, but I'm satisfied with the left navigation links... maybe I'll have those colors throughout the whole site...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The vertical shadow separating your side column from the main content area is way too deep. I'd lighten it up quite a bit to give it more of a natural 3D look, if that's what you're going for.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could you pad the content in the box in the header and also pad the main content so that there is equal white space on the left and right.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about now? I've lightened the Vertical Gradient and the logo is different thanks to a great contributing Ozzu member :D

What do you guys think of it now?
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Breeze wrote:

1px

2px

:lol: I can't do anything about that...

Why?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because I didn't do anything to do that... the source for that is:
Code: [ Select ]
<input type="text" name="name" id="name" size="65" /><br />
<input type="text" name="email" id="email" size="65" /><br />
<input type="text" name="website" id="web" size="65" value="http://" /><br />
<textarea name="notes" id="notes" rows="10" cols="49"></textarea>
  1. <input type="text" name="name" id="name" size="65" /><br />
  2. <input type="text" name="email" id="email" size="65" /><br />
  3. <input type="text" name="website" id="web" size="65" value="http://" /><br />
  4. <textarea name="notes" id="notes" rows="10" cols="49"></textarea>
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork

Post 3+ Months Ago

And what does your CSS for those elements look like?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

input[type='text'], input[type='password'], textarea {
    color: #798030;
    border: 1px solid #b7c800;
}

input[type='submit'], input[type='reset'] {
    border: 1px solid #b7c800;
}
  1. input[type='text'], input[type='password'], textarea {
  2.     color: #798030;
  3.     border: 1px solid #b7c800;
  4. }
  5. input[type='submit'], input[type='reset'] {
  6.     border: 1px solid #b7c800;
  7. }
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah I guess you're right. It's too bad there's no way to specify any kind of margin or padding for those elements.

Oh wait.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Ah I guess you're right. It's too bad there's no way to specify any kind of margin or padding for those elements.

Oh wait.

I don't want to do that as it messes up the alignment with the text on the left, and if I try to make the text bigger, it jumps to a huge bold text... don't want that.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright. I've updated how the thing works, added a few things. How about it now? Is it really all that good that no one can give me a good long constructive criticism? :P Maybe I'm that good :lol:

Spent a good 2 days redoing some parts of my template system, and adding a few features to my site (Not yet released... not done with that :roll: ).

Hope I can get a good long review on my design, loading time and everything else on the site. I don't really know yet on what I suck on so far right now... I know my creativity suffers, but other than that... in which area would my site suffer?
  • kassimwithu
  • kassimwithu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its looking Ok,

But you have taken from some readymade templates,

Fine tune it well it will be OK

Cheers
Kassim
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

kassimwithu wrote:
Its looking Ok,

But you have taken from some readymade templates,

Fine tune it well it will be OK

Cheers
Kassim

Care to tell me what kind of template it seems to be taken from?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright... I updated a few things... added membership (which for now, doesn't add anything besides the ability to PM :lol: )
  • OmMEGGA
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Allen,TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the design ,although not my favorite color. And the first thing that comes to my mind when I visit is "BORING" You need more graphics and better logo.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

OmMEGGA wrote:
I really like the design ,although not my favorite color. And the first thing that comes to my mind when I visit is "BORING" You need more graphics and better logo.

Reason I'm afraid of adding more things is because if I start adding visuals or something, I tend to overdo it and make it too busy... another problem I have with that is that I don't know what to add. I'm afraid of ruining the look I'm after (professionalism). If you have any suggestions as to what I can add to make it more visually appealing, than I would take those suggestions on heavy consideration.

Thank you :)

Also, does anyone else think that I should make the EMAIL to USER a MEMBER'S only feature? (I'm talking about this)
  • OmMEGGA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, no problem. If I were you I would use simply icons. For your services you could use something like this http://www.iconshock.com/img/product/di ... cons-2.jpg . Each service would have it's own icon on the right or where ever you want to place it. Than I would change the logo (back ground is just fine but the text and actual logo) as it makes everything look
"unprofessional" .Just make it more "bold" and clean. Use some cool font and add life to it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks about the icon's idea... I'll try that.

What's wrong with the logo?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having doubts on the system I've got on my site... maybe I should return to using PHPbb Forum and work my site around the forum like I have done before?
  • OmMEGGA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not Joomla or Mambo?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because PHPbb Forum is a Forum... I'm doing that more for the forum than a CMS.
  • OmMEGGA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohh I see. I hate to see your page going down. Looks like you gave a lot of effort creating it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

OmMEGGA wrote:
Ohh I see. I hate to see your page going down. Looks like you gave a lot of effort creating it.

Oh the page would stay intact... it would be integrated into PHPbb forum and a forum would be added into it... making the membership thing more reasonable :lol:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sooo... should I go back to the phpBB Forum Integration or not?

Come on people, I need an idea here :lol: :D

Thanks
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please people. There isn't any idea or advice from anyone on this?
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't had chance to go thru this website but being it's a new development it maybe nice if you moved away from XHTML to HTML5 (<!DOCTYPE html>)

Just thinking out loud.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tip. I'll think a little on it :)

More reviews would be gladly appreciated... I feel a little ignored here :(
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

So... should I integrate the PHPbb Forum into my site? Or maybe I shouldn't? Come on people...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

How does the logo look like?

What about the design and colors? Does that work for you? Or is that a horrible design/color combination?

What does the site design make you think of?

What about navigation... is it easy for you to navigate from page to page and around the site?

What about loading speeds of pages? Are those adequate or are those too slow for some connections? Could you test that, and post the reply with your internet connection speed, download and upload speed (Could be tested using this testing service).

I might integrate it into PHPbb Forum even though I've never really got any feedback on it... I think I will and put my tutorials section there rather than creating a utility for it. How does that sound?

Thank you!
  • bermuda
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bermuda

Post 3+ Months Ago

One point coming to my mind is that you have written two instances of your domain name in the title tag of your homepage.

Maybe only one is enough.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

bermuda wrote:
One point coming to my mind is that you have written two instances of your domain name in the title tag of your homepage.

Maybe only one is enough.

Alright... I'll change that in the coming update. Thanks :)
  • kapalpecah
  • kapalpecah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your left menu doesn't look well positioned on Safari (Version 4.0.1 (5530.18)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hopefully the update I'm working on would fix that. Are there anything else that I need to fix?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the right hand menu is a little off in FF3 in OSX as well. As far as phpBB goes it depends on what you want to do with the site and what you want visitors to do on the site.

What is the purpose of wedevoy? What do you want people to come to the site for? What do you want visitors to be able to do on the site? If someone came to your site and only say 1 thing what would you want it to be?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

1 Question... what right hand menu? Do you mean left?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yes. I do that a lot. Probably too much. Yes the left menu breaks out of the sidebar image.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am seeing the same:

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't understand... what is exactly the problem?

The box with Log-In and Register links is out of place or something?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 'View your site review' and 'Donate' rows looks as if they're long divs that stick out beyond what I thought to be the shadowed edge of your sidebar. It may be by design, but to me it looks like overflow getting chopped off.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh lol, have you ever moved your mouse over them to view the hover?

That's by design, that's why I didn't realize that you were talking about those stuff. I wanted to make it look like the links are coming from the content column (The right big content) rather then the left nav column (the left smaller column), and when you hover, the links are from the left small column and not from the right big column. I hope that made sense.

// Removed broken link
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The link no worky Bogey, and even though the links that are being referred to by UPS are intentional they don't look intentional they look like something is messed up like your code isn't doing what you want it to (which as a web developer is never good).
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, I made it go over the shadow intentionally, but since it looks so bad you are convinced it's a coding error, I would probably not do that...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright. Here is the updated version of the site.

Keep in mind, I'm not actually done with it yet. The only reason I put it up there is if I get some designing problems (like I did right now), I could link to the site, explain the problem except of trying to describe the problem verbally... I'm not good at that.

It would also be great if you people would post here with recommendation, bugs (design-wise or program wise), or anything else you see that needs to be added and fun stuff like that.

I still didn't put in a few of the recommendations on this thread, so that is my next step after finishing the designing of the site/forum. Thank you.

Forget about the poll... it is not needed anymore. If a mod could kindly remove it... oh wait, I can do that... :lol:
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you want a design review now or after you have it where you want it? Or do you want us recommendations on possible changes now or wait until you have it where you want it considering our request my be changes you are already intending to make.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
... want us recommendations on possible changes now ...
That is exactly what I want.

[EDIT:] How does that menu look like now? Does it look better?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The menu looks good on initial view but gets a little weird as far as the text shifting around on hover.

Are you going to go blue over the whole site or are you going to make the BB green?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't think about green... I'll try that. (You are talking about the forum name blocks and that stuff... right?)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was talking about the forum boxes. Maybe gray should be the main color scheme and then use the green as a highlight/contrast color. Just an idea.

I hate redoing forum templates.
  • digitalcamera
  • digitalcamera
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well It appears to be another Simple Machines forum I had started one as well so saying its bad is like saying mines bad so I will say it rocks.

Not much you can do to a php and sql database they are all the same arn't they?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
I was talking about the forum boxes. Maybe gray should be the main color scheme and then use the green as a highlight/contrast color. Just an idea.
oh ok. Thanks.
CXLink wrote:
I hate redoing forum templates.
I'm not a great fan of that either... although I'm probably going to offer that in my service list.
digitalcamera wrote:
Well It appears to be another Simple Machines forum I had started one as well so saying its bad is like saying mines bad so I will say it rocks.
lol thanks :)
digitalcamera wrote:
Not much you can do to a php and sql database they are all the same arn't they?
You mean between phpBB and Simple Machines? I don't think so although I've never checked them out... (I've never used Simple Machines... I've always being using phpBB).
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you guys think of it now? I'm trying to keep my site colorful and interesting, but I may be overdoing it a bit... :lol:

Any constructive criticism is going to be greatly appreciated... thans :D
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

for the rollover effect on the categories of the forum, the green doesn't match the rest of the layout.

Perhaps a color like #e5e7d0 or something similar may look better.

Also, to eliminate the text on the navbar jumping over a pixel on rollover, try adding this css to your "li a:hover" pseudo-selector:
li a:hover {
border: 1px solid transparent;
}
  1. li a:hover {
  2. border: 1px solid transparent;
  3. }
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the biggest thing I can see on your site.

It's a forum right? So where are all the members and posts?

Personally, you need to fill it with content, even if it's not your own member content. Scrape content from other sites that are related, and put expirey dates on the topics. This will give google meat to crawl, and will get members signing up.

Once you have real members talking about real stuff, the fake scraped content can get deleted.

Almost every dating site does this, why should forums be any different? Populate the site with fake profiles (in your case content), then remove it once the site gets moving.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

@mindfullsilence: thanks... I'll fix that as soon as I get to it :D

@camperjohn: Thanks for that :D I'll see what I can do...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
for the rollover effect on the categories of the forum, the green doesn't match the rest of the layout.

Perhaps a color like #e5e7d0 or something similar may look better.

Also, to eliminate the text on the navbar jumping over a pixel on rollover, try adding this css to your "li a:hover" pseudo-selector:

li a:hover {
  border: 1px solid transparent;
}

2. li a:hover {
  3.   border: 1px solid transparent;
  4. }
Thanks :D That color works perfectly... the fix for the navigation though didn't really work... margin-left: 1px; worked perfectly though :D

I've got the homepage and viewforum.php where I want it and I need assistance in the viewtopic.php though. I don't know what colors I want those blocks to be and I'm thinking to put the user information (as to who posted, if their online ... etc. etc.) on the top of each post...

Something like the following image:

Any other suggestions as to what colors to use, what layout to user or something else entirely about it or something else would be awesome and greatly appreciated :D

Thanks for all the great help so far :D :)
  • middayc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Slovenia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the color scheme in general. It's not dull and it's not agressive -- something you would have problem looking for a longer time.

The top ( header and menus ) go well with the main content's (forum) colors. But the right colunm somehow doesn't belong to those two. I don't know .. unrelated kind of colors and shades.. unrelated sized fonts, you have gentle colors here and strong on top / main. It would look perfectly ok on it's own, it just not totaly compatible style with top and main.

Just an oppinion, I am not a designer or specialist in this.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you mean left column? Because right column is the main content (forum).
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what he means, I was thinking the same thing. left_column's color scheme doesn't really match the rest of the site. Try some different colors for it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was afraid of that :) Let me see what I can do with it
  • middayc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Slovenia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ups, yes .. left column.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I've got the homepage and viewforum.php where I want it and I need assistance in the viewtopic.php though. I don't know what colors I want those blocks to be and I'm thinking to put the user information (as to who posted, if their online ... etc. etc.) on the top of each post...

Something like the following image:

Any other suggestions as to what colors to use, what layout to user or something else entirely about it or something else would be awesome and greatly appreciated :D

Thanks for all the great help so far :D :)

So, what do you guys think about that? Would you like that, or would that be another reason not to visit the site?
  • raananschwartz
  • Born
  • Born
  • raananschwartz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seems like a great and light design.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not a huge fan of the profile info going all the way across the top. If everything goes all the way across it pushes actual content further down the page. I like the way ozzu has it set up.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
Im not a huge fan of the profile info going all the way across the top. If everything goes all the way across it pushes actual content further down the page. I like the way ozzu has it set up.
ok, I was worrying about the same thing...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, I just updated my site.

I changed the left column a bit and the viewtopic.php design. The posts are viewed a little bit differently then you are used to, but I think that is okay. Please give a review on it :) (To see what I'm talking about View this topic).

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout. Do you want some feedback on some details I noticed?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
I like the layout. Do you want some feedback on some details I noticed?

Yes, I always want them :) Feedback on anything and everything about my site :D
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I was thinking of breaking up the space a little more in the forum area (basically I just changed the header and made the site bar a hair darker so that the content of the post was brighter and drew your eye a little more). Also the white line goes into the bottom border on FF3.5 in OSX. Also I don't mind the red used in the forum but using both the red and the blue seems a little much.

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know where the red is coming from... I don't get that (The 'Forum Rules' link there), but my username and the status ('offline') thing, I made that red...

Well, Forum Rules is only red on Hover... maybe that is what you're talking about... or red overall...

I think I like your idea for the color on the topic subject... I even have a great idea about it that would probably stop the line from doing whatever it's doing :D

Thanks
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright.. updated the design... how do you like it now?

By the way, thanks for the awesome reviews and tips guys... that helps me out a ton... it's a great learning process as well :D Not to mention a great way to make the design and site better :D :D :D

Also, what do you think about the position of the status?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could you drop the size of the forum headers ("Forum Rules") to 1.5 or 1.75em? It just seems a little big and off balanced. Also you might want to pad the profile info a little more on top, at least so it sits as low as the top of the post to its right.

Still not sure about the green (in the header)/blue (in the sidebar and some in the content area)/red (only in content area) color scheme. Try to narrow down to 2 colors 1 as the primary 1 as the compliment. Try to use the same scheme in all 3 areas header sidebar and content. Does that make sense? Just an idea.
  • ppetrov76
  • ppetrov76

Post 3+ Months Ago

Based on my quick look into your site I have the following comments to add:

1. Layout looks good, pretty standard for a Forum site.
2. Colors are a matter of taste so I can't really make a proper comment on that - not necessarily my thing because probably my choices of colors would probably not be very impressive either.
3. SEO wise your site needs a LOT of work - all these forums and sub forums need the URLs converted to some relevant and understandable naming and also the site title tags on each page should be relevant to each forum and to the modified SEO friendly URLs - this will help with search engine ranking. You can take a look of how I rewrite my URLs and site Titles in one of my most recent hand coded php projects at [domain removed] it is a PHP Clone of XOM Reviews and looks almost identical - but I put in a great deal of work in the URL's and page titles and the keywords in order to push the site up in the search engines and I seem to be getting an SEO score of 96% (which I believe is pretty darn good for an SEO Rookie like myself) :) Hope the relatively short and brief review of mine is of some help to you :)

Cheers,

Pete
Moderator Remark: Domain removed - we appreciate the review, but if you would like others to view your site, please follow the guidelines.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, I can't really go down to 2 colors... unless I make the administrator's and all the team's colors the same, and online/offline the same.

I like how Ozzu has their Offline red and online green, and I kind of want to keep that, but I also don't want that color scheme through out the site... I want to use the blue and light blue for hover...

For the 'breadcrumbs' above, I used black without thinking... I'll change that to darker blue.

I don't see any green in the header... I see yellow and black...

I'll change the size as soon as I get to it... thanks for that suggestion... and I'll put some padding to the profile thing.

Thanks... more feedback would be appreciated :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ppetrov76... I'm aware of the links and the SEO thing, I installed a SEO Mod for the forum that would take care of it, I just didn't have time to put it into effect yet... I'll try to get to it today.

Your review was helpful though... if you see any other SEO errors (or anyone else for that matter), I would gladly read through them and try to fix them... even if I have a novel worth of SEO errors :lol:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have changed my design a little bit... what do you guys think?

Changes
  • Different background image in left navigation headers
  • Different color on the hover on left navigation
  • Topic links, forum links, and breadcrumb links are not as bold
  • Forum descriptions are indented 10 pixels
  • Bread crumbs links, forum links, and topic links are light blue on hover (Instead of black/red).
  • More information in the footer
  • Smaller text in footer
  • Print/Email-a-friend icons on the top left besides the font increase/decrease function in topics/emails
  • Smaller text in topic subjects above each post (Thanks to CXLink)
  • The background image where the topic subjects are is a little bigger
  • Text in topic subjects above each post has a padding at the top of 6 pixels.
  • Added a horizontal rule under the breadcrumbs (Not sure if I need it there)
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was a problem in IE8 (brought to my attention by a different forum) where the input fields (of the log-in box) would align with the text, going past the left column into the right column and blocking the text closest to the left column but still on the right column :lol:

Anyway, I think I have fixed that... could someone who has IE8 (I don't have it) check it out for me?

And while you're at it, I would really like a good review :D

Thanks
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

just tested in IE8, login looks good. Might I suggest changing the headers of your navigation area to bold, they're a bit hard to read because they're white and have light grey stripes behind them
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
just tested in IE8, login looks good. Might I suggest changing the headers of your navigation area to bold, they're a bit hard to read because they're white and have light grey stripes behind them
Thanks for checking :D

Alright... how do the headers of the navigation look now? I hope their not too bold :lol:
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

much better, way easier to read. Your site is coming along pretty good.

anoter suggestion, the background on the "information desk" area in the header. I don't know why, but it doesn't fit. I think perhaps it makes it look a little dull/dim. My only suggestion to try and fix it would be to adjust the lightness/darkness levels of the png used.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about now? I don't know if it is any better or not... my creativity and imagination aren't that great :lol: If you see anything else, I'll be willing to fix it :D
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

and your ".panel" class, maybe change the background from blue to something like #dfe2c7 or perhaps even a little lighter than that, but a light green
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, I like the background on the information desk area better, unfotunately it causes another small problem. The header inside is green as well. Perhaps switch it to a dark grey may make it look a bit better, but it's more a matter of taste rather than functionality at that point so it's up to you.

[edit] actually, changing the header in the information desk to a color that more closely matches the vibrance of the green in your logo would work as well maybe
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

much easier to read now, much better with the informatin header
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about it now? Thanks about the panel thing... your suggestion led me to fixing something else entirely as well :D

Thanks
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

another suggestion since the headers are so small:
.topiclist .header .icon dt,
.topiclist .header .icon dd {
font-weight: bold;
}
  1. .topiclist .header .icon dt,
  2. .topiclist .header .icon dd {
  3. font-weight: bold;
  4. }
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

That didn't seem to do anything...
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm, oh well, I suppose they're fine.

as for the panel background, I think a lighter color is needed.

let me know how this color looks:

#ecf1de
or this color:
#f1f2e5
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like f1f2e5... thanks :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, there has being a major change in my forum... I have added and integrated a portal into my site... check it out and tell me what you think about it... I'm not so sure I did it the best way possible... I'm thinking about adding some feature to it... I just need to code that bit there as I can't find a mod for it.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the new forum containers. There are a couple of issues the content in the left column is breaking past the end of the column and the content in the last box doesnt seem to be as padded as the rest.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
I like the new forum containers. There are a couple of issues the content in the left column is breaking past the end of the column and the content in the last box doesnt seem to be as padded as the rest.

I think I may have fixed the left column extending past the wrap (could have ruined some other browers... by that, I mean made the main wrap too big, I know it is for me).

And by the padding issue, you are talking about the Recent Topic block?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
could have ruined some other browers

Check it in Browser Lab. I love Adobe for this.

Yup its good and you made the left thinner. You could probably make the sidebar text smaller as well if you wanted to.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What Browser are you using and what OS?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was using ff3.5 in osx
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh... I am using FF3.5 on Windows XP Pro and it looks perfect to me... oh well, I guess it's the fault of the operating system (Not saying yours is the one at fault... just saying there are differences).

Man, I can't think of anything else to do on my site other than post...

Anyone else see a suggestion/comment on my site? Certainly post that here :D
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent design, Great logo. Easy to get around. Overall Great site.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks :D I was always worrying about the navigation... so far, I have about 3 people tell me that it is easy to get around :D

I've got a question for everybody here, it's more of a preference, but I can't decide...

Should I turn my portal's body content's boxes from the black/gray gradient with the stripes to look like the forum's forum containers yellow/golden/green gradient or vice versa?

Or maybe I shouldn't change anything there? I hope everybody understood what I am saying here. Thanks.
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

I probably gave you a cheezy review last time. So this time I'll really look at it. Actually it really looks good. Everything loads just fine to me. I'm sure this had already been brought up, but on the membership link the team sub-link doesn't show up. I'm sure your still working on that. Besides that atleast so far,, it looks pretty good.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I fixed the issue with the team thing that you were talking about... care to check it out and tell me if it is fixed?
  • sbronson
  • Student
  • Student
  • sbronson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah,, you fixed it. I haven't seen anything else.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Bogey,
I wouldn't mind them being the same. Either way is fine, but if you want to keep the stripes I suggest turning them down some. Drop the opacity of them so that they dont draw as much attention.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'll turn the content pages yellow rather than keeping the stripes... not to keep the header lonely :lol:
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the subtle gradient. Go for it man.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 107 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers