SITE REVIEW: HumorIndustry

• Volki
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone!

This is my first website http://www.humorindustry.com took me quite a bit of work to get it to where it is now and i know it's ain't perfect but I am so into it that can't see how can i change it(add or take out stuff) to make it look better.

It needs more content to be added but that will come later once i more or less finalize the look and feel of the site.

I am eager to hear any feedback and it will be greatlly appreciated.

All the best,

Volki
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um, good site. Blues a little bright, hurts my eyes, but Ive always been that way. I pretty much hate any site thast brighter than a black or gray background.

Overall it seems to be a good setup, but when I went into the jokes section, and was scrolling down, the list on the left came with me as I scrolled down. I'm sure it sounded like a good idea at the time, but I dont like it. Mainly for two reasons.
1) People with dialup will hate you. I logged onto it on a dial up comp, just to see how bad it was, and it made it horribly slow.
2)Bugs the heck outa my EYES!!! If it scrolled down smoothly it would be ok (I have cable, so it wasnt my speed this time) but it sits there and flutters. Real annoying. If I want to go to a different topic, Ill be willing to waste about 3 seconds of my time to scroll back up to the top of the screen where the list should just sit.

Otherwise, looks like a good site. Im not trying to rip on you, just giving you some friendly feedback ;) . Good luck, and nice first site!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah the good old javascript moving box.... you can only make things like that move smothly if you you use css and then a certain browser (can you guess which one?) can't handle it properly.

Regarding smokenjoes comments about dialup connection speed, you could knock 15k from the front page and 46k from the jokes page by taking all of the text out of your images. Use two background images (one on one off) and lay the text over them. You now have 2 images rather than 40 something. 46k is larger than I aim for a complete graphical layout, including html, images, and css. This would also prevent the horrible blur on the link text

I didn't like the inconsistancy in the jokes section. It gave me the impression that you just couldn't be bothered to format the page.

The layout is quite nice, and there is <b>nothing wrong with the colour</b>! It is a very nice first site - a lot better than my first *shudders*

the only thing I would say is that you really shouldn't be whacking your logo on the bottom of the pictures. You possibly should not be using them without permission, but you should definately not be claiming to have "manufactured" them your self.

Keep up the good work :)
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm...the color's not bad but it kind of hurts my eyes after a while. Some of the links dont' work (they're pointing to files offline) like "Add your link here" and "Crazy facts." I can't say much else. I used to maintain (haven't updated in a while) a humor site as well, so I've seen a lot of the stuff. Still gets me laughing every time. :) I like the random html for the crazy facts. Hmm I'm not too sure why the vertical ad is at the bottom (or maybe it's just my browser?). I like the site; it's good to have something to go to when you're bored or sad and want to get cheered up. :) Keep it up.
  • Volki
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ty everyone for feedback i do needed it.

I will try to make the menu move more smoothly and faster smokenjoe thx for pinpointing that drawback. I lack knowledge of doing it but i guess i will do some reading to catch up with it.

Quote:
Regarding smokenjoes comments about dialup connection speed, you could knock 15k from the front page and 46k from the jokes page by taking all of the text out of your images. Use two background images (one on one off) and lay the text over them. You now have 2 images rather than 40 something. 46k is larger than I aim for a complete graphical layout, including html, images, and css. This would also prevent the horrible blur on the link text

rtm223 i don't understand how that works lack of knowledge on my side is it possible to have more explanation on how to do it?

Quote:
I didn't like the inconsistancy in the jokes section. It gave me the impression that you just couldn't be bothered to format the page.

Also this don't really understand what u mean, what are the inconsistencies?

and i will take that "manufactured at" thing away, these were my first experiments of working with pics and wanted the site to go under the legend of "manufactured" i guess should change it to "hosted at" or just leave it plain.

Liquescence i will run the link checker once i get back to my computer, these broken links are really smth that have to keep track of all the time.

All the best,
Volki
[/quote]
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, the reason you didn't understand the inconsistancy comment is because it made no sense :roll: let me try to explain myself better. I did not like the way that the jokes section had a completely different layout & colour-scheme to the rest of the site. This was the "inconsistancy" I was talking about.

Now, about those links..... bear with me on this one.

At the moment you have lots of images, which are really all the same image, just with different text.

You are applying the text to the images before it gets to the website, this means that you need a hell of a lot of images.

What I am suggesting is to place <b>blank</b> buttons on the page, and each button would look the same. This means you only have to download 1 image, no matter the number of buttons you want.

You then overlay the text on top of the buttons, using html. This will really reduce your bandwidth intensity.

At the moment I don't have time to do an example I'm afraid, but if you upload a blank button image and pm me a link Ill have a quick go some time this weekend.

//edit - actually upload both an "on" button and an "off" button - both without any text.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site looks decent. I'm guessing all the space is in the left side menu so you could see what the site would look like "stretched out". If that's not the case, you should tighten that up. Maybe even add some formatting to those yellow links there.

The ad mentioned by Liquescence should be moved to the top or even into the left menu, and you have the wrong background color set for that bottom left table cell, unless that's like that for a reason.

Also, you definitely should remove the "Manufactured By" tags on the images - you could be looking at a lawsuit there.

Other than that, I like the blue on blue. I like the style of your buttons, though they really should all be the same image as rtm223 suggested.
  • Fex
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, thats reall good for a first website, the forums don't seem to work, it told me the server does nto support re-directing or something :(
  • Gints Vitols
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gints Vitols
  • Loc: Latvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The jokes and pictures, in general, are high quality. Visual style is OK, too, but I would recommend to make the style of different sections of the site as uniform as possible.

Some problems I noticed:

Most of the joke pages are empty. This is EXTREMALLY annoying.

Navigation is a mess, three buttons on the top, nine different buttons on the left, and links all over the place.

It would be nice if "News", "Joke Factory", etc. pages had some heading showing the title of the page.

I wouldn't recommend the use of filenames with spaces between words.

Visited links are hard to read on blue background.

The "Add Yours here" link under "Great links" at the left column doesn't work because it points to a local file. The same with "Crazy Facts" link right after the random fact at the top of the page.

The "Shanghai Mahjonng" link on "Game Industry" page goes to a missing page.

The "Humorring" page is terrible - blue text on blue background, it's just crazy.

The "How dirty minded are you?" page is real fun, but it's hard to read because questions are not numbered.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks pretty alright to me overall.
how about some good light humor/interesting graphics as yr logo or somewhere on the page?

it looks kinda serious, afterall you are doing humor right? :wink:
  • Volki
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx everyone for taking out your time to check out my time

I have done the changes all of you have pinpointed

Quote:
ad mentioned by Liquescence should be moved

Moved the ad higher up,

Quote:
the forums don't seem to work, it told me the server does nto support re-directing or something

Fex i fixed the forums they work now, however all the config i lost them meaning that 2 users that registered got deleted(also u :( ) as well all the forums, but it's good that i corrected the error now got away with small blood so to say. I ll have to do the forums over in nearest time.

As to the things Gints Vitols has pinpointed:
Quote:
Most of the joke pages are empty. This is EXTREMALLY annoying.

As i said in first post site is missing content but i will be working on it, i just can't find the spare time :cry:

Quote:
Navigation is a mess, three buttons on the top, nine different buttons on the left, and links all over the place.

hmm i may change it in future just put all the of them as same buttons on the left side of the screen but then there are too many of them not sure how to tackle this problem. Any ideas? (i also want to add another section such as animations)

Quote:
It would be nice if "News", "Joke Factory", etc. pages had some heading showing the title of the page.

I did it

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend the use of filenames with spaces between words.

I heard i shouldn't do it, and i have seen other sites avoid it, but don't really know what are the drawbacks of it, can u tell me the problem of doing it?

Quote:
Visited links are hard to read on blue background.

The "Add Yours here" link under "Great links" at the left column doesn't work because it points to a local file. The same with "Crazy Facts" link right after the random fact at the top of the page.

The "Shanghai Mahjonng" link on "Game Industry" page goes to a missing page.

The "Humorring" page is terrible - blue text on blue background, it's just crazy.

The "How dirty minded are you?" page is real fun, but it's hard to read because questions are not numbered.

corrected all these, it should be better now

Quote:
I did not like the way that the jokes section had a completely different layout & colour-scheme to the rest of the site. This was the "inconsistancy" I was talking about.

I have done this on purpose but hmm i m considering of doing smth with it however not to sure :oops:

Quote:
Also, you definitely should remove the "Manufactured By" tags on the images

I ll do it right now

All the best to ya all,

Volki
  • bbott1982
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remove the hit counter. It looks unprofessional. If you must have it, get an invisible one that your viewers cannot see.

Also maybe ad some contrasting colors in your design. Seems like you have too much blue mushed together.

Also on your contact link, maybe create a mail inquiry form instead of just simply listing your email addresses?

Any like everyone else said, fix up that forum.
  • thewhipple
  • Born
  • Born
  • thewhipple
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quite like the coloring of the site, the main banner that has the little bookmark icon, is completely empty.
why not mention something in it, you have to read the small print to find out what you are about.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers