SITE REVIEW: Ice cream site

• suss
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Mainly Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.hauffes.com

there are a few links that doesn't go anywhere and all is in swedish, but the text isn't very important... I'd like to know what you guys think of it. How I can improve it without too drastic measures....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

its about an icecream company that is setting up Icecream Cafes all over sweden (that is very very rare here) ... I intend to make a more inviting first image once I have thought of how to.....
Reason for the Haffe+border is that all his menus look like that so I thought it'd be nice to .. continue with that design..

Also the audience is children and icecreamlovers of all ages..

I know the coding isnt perfect... I'll enhance that too... Just want comments on the design and if its sort of understandable (even tho you dont speak swedish.... )
  • justbane
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • justbane
  • Loc: CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey the layout is not bad. it just should be centered i think. not up in the left of the page. here is some code for you that might5 help out.

Code: [ Select ]
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>WebDatum Hosting : Design Department</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgcolor="#ffffff" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">
<TABLE WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" BORDER="0"><TR align="center" valign="middle"><TD>

<!-- INSERT YOUR LAYOUT CODE HERE --->

</TD></TR></TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>
  1. <HTML>
  2. <HEAD>
  3. <TITLE>WebDatum Hosting : Design Department</TITLE>
  4. </HEAD>
  5. <BODY bgcolor="#ffffff" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">
  6. <TABLE WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" BORDER="0"><TR align="center" valign="middle"><TD>
  7. <!-- INSERT YOUR LAYOUT CODE HERE --->
  8. </TD></TR></TABLE>
  9. </BODY>
  10. </HTML>
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

if I center it the jqavamenu doesnt follow, then it'll be different... I havent figured how to center the javamenu .. =/ if I find a way to do so I will....

it was centerred from the beginning, but then I realized the menu wasnt.. its fixed on x from top and x from left.....
  • eurosickwitit
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • eurosickwitit

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this site would look really nice in flash. Since there is a lot of pictures and its in a rectangular format. You see a lot of flash sites that size and I bet it would give it a nice feel and more interactivity. But hey, I'm not saying it looks bed, I'm just a huge flash fan ;), and yeah, I agree that it should be centered.
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried making it in flash but the menus refused to work for me.. and also, in flash one cant use the "back" button on ones browser if one wishes to. this site isnt aimed to the most computer-intelligent people and I know that the computer illiterate tend to use the back button a lot sp to keep track of where they are and have been... therefor for this site html wins =)
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you have a great thing going in the visual aspects of the site. It's simple, yes; however I've got to be honest after viewing it I definitely was thinking about ice cream.
The color scheme is cool and reminds me of sherbet, even though I don't speak Swedish, the message is conveyed.

I would also suggest as the other members have done that you center the site instead of it being aligned to the left. To kick it up a notch you could always (down the road) add some flash games or similar to make the kids happy.

I like it 8)
Staci
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about a Flashpage for the different kinds of icecream where they can choose a Cup or a Cone (is it called that?) and put on balls of all the different flavours? How's that for a "game" ?

and one page of course for those with a more or less dead child in stide with a boring list of flavours... =)
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is pretty cool. It gets straight to the point and you know exactly what the site is going to be about. I have to agree that centering everything would really add to the overall look. I'll check out your javascript after and see if there's a way to center it all. You could also add a nice footer at the very bottom of the page, say something like "Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved." or something along those lines. It will give it more of a professional feel.

The sections look pretty good as well. But you will have to work on your navigation. For example, if I click on your Banana Split image, I'm taken to the different kinds of banana split options. On that same page, you should include a link to go Back to the previous page, instead of making your visitor use the Back button on the browser. Makes it easier to navigate through your site. Include "Back" links on all of your sections.

A few of your other sections arent finished (under the Butiker menu) and I noticed you use IFRAME's. That's not good if you want to get onto search engines. It also makes your site look bad when you have that vertical and horizontal scroll (like on the Glassfakta page). It might take some extra effort, but you should try and make your borders expand with your content, and not adjust your content so it fits within your borders. Sounds a bit confusing, I know!

One very last comment. Your Feedback option leads to a page that doesnt have the menu options anymore, no borders, no nothing. I'm also getting the javascript error symbol when I load it up, so something may be wrong with your javascript. You have a back button on the page, but it would look better if you incorporate that section with the rest of your site. Dont leave it out there on its own.

Quite a lot for you to think about, hope some of it helps!
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

daremedy wrote:
You could also add a nice footer at the very bottom of the page, say something like "Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved." or something along those lines. It will give it more of a professional feel.

Thanks for the idea, I think I willdo that

daremedy wrote:
Include "Back" links on all of your sections.

I am just wondering where to place that and still make it look good....

daremedy wrote:
A few of your other sections arent finished (under the Butiker menu) and I noticed you use IFRAME's. That's not good if you want to get onto search engines. It also makes your site look bad when you have that vertical and horizontal scroll (like on the Glassfakta page).

I havent got any info from him for those pags just yet..
Only IE puts that scroll there .. afaik... but since IE shows the feedback page you must use something else... hmm

daremedy wrote:
It might take some extra effort, but you should try and make your borders expand with your content, and not adjust your content so it fits within your borders. Sounds a bit confusing, I know!

Well.. I could do that but then MR hauffe will wonder why I didnt adjust all the pages after content.... ... like have a list of three / 8 /2 icecreams instead of having one per page... You certainly have a point tho, I know how to fix it... I think I may do that...

daremedy wrote:
One very last comment. Your Feedback option leads to a page that doesnt have the menu options anymore, no borders, no nothing. I'm also getting the javascript error symbol when I load it up, so something may be wrong with your javascript. You have a back button on the page, but it would look better if you incorporate that section with the rest of your site. Dont leave it out there on its own.

its because their server doesnt support asp .. it works fine on my server... I am ignoring that feedback page for now.. I'll find a way around it later.. =)

the reason its on its own is that both the 800600 and the 1024768 pages link to it...I cant make one for each because then they'd have different entries wouldnt they? or if I somehow can make them write to and read the same txt file.. that'd be sweet.... Have to look into that later too...

daremedy wrote:
Quite a lot for you to think about, hope some of it helps!

I am sure it has and will
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.softcomplex.com/products/tigra_menu_gold/ .... is it worth 49 usd to get a relative - placed javamenu....

I agree with everyone that it should be centerred I just need to solve the java issue
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some quick comments. As for where to place a the Back button, I think it'll look fine if you create an image for it and then place it centered at the bottom of all the subsections, within the borders. That way its placed in a standard position throughout the site and your visitors will know where to look if they have to go back a page.

Adjusting the borders to your content is a decision that's totally up to you. I just have a personal dislike of frames and iframes and try to avoid them at all costs. If you think it might get you into some trouble and give you more work to do, then dont worry about it too much! If anything, just try and avoid frames in future designs.

The feedback page, what language does their server support (if any)? Thinking about it, I actually forgot to look at your site in a Firefox browser, and you've got a problem there. Somehow your source code is showing up in the iframe:

Code: [ Select ]
<%@LANGUAGE="JSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
<html>
<head>
<title>Hauffes Glassbar</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
.style1 {
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px
}

.style2 {
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px
}
-->
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div align="center" class="style2">
 <p><strong>Tips och kommentarer </strong></p>
  1. <%@LANGUAGE="JSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
  2. <html>
  3. <head>
  4. <title>Hauffes Glassbar</title>
  5. <style type="text/css">
  6. <!--
  7. .style1 {
  8. font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
  9. font-size: 10px
  10. }
  11. .style2 {
  12. font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
  13. font-size: 12px
  14. }
  15. -->
  16. </style>
  17. </head>
  18. <body>
  19. <div align="center" class="style2">
  20.  <p><strong>Tips och kommentarer </strong></p>
  21. ............

It works fine in Explorer though. That's something you should definitely look into.

And to follow up on purchasing a menu, please dont! You can just follow a tutorial and create your own CSS menu (which I'm a big fan of now) and get similar results. Off hand, here are 2 sites that have dozens of samples and tutorials http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/index.htm and http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html . Check out their dynamic menu's, this one seems suited to what you want -> http://tutorials.alsacreations.com/dero ... zontal.htm . Just check out his source code and you should get an idea of what to do. But please, you dont need to spend any hard earned money on a menu!
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

what makes you think they're hard earned ;)

Well the reason the javascrips shows in ffx is that they dont support asp... it , like I said, shows up find on my server so I shall move that page to my ftp til the contract that hauffes.com has runs out...

But I cant do it now.. Thunder killed my network card and my Hub and the same things at my neighbours,,,, really bad...

But, I see it as a sign to install wirelesss ;) atm I have 15 M cables around the house :)

Anyway. thanks for that =) I'll look into all of it =)

ah, also I dont think that server supports anything... they use it only for html pages without guestbooks and such ... most their clients are ... using free guestbooks with banners and such... so yea. I think its wide of him to move,,.. only he has to stay with them til january....
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

suss wrote:
what makes you think they're hard earned ;)

I'm afraid to respond to that one :roll: .

suss wrote:
But I cant do it now.. Thunder killed my network card and my Hub and the same things at my neighbours,,,, really bad...

You should get a power surge protecter for your PC components. Not sure how it will respond to crazy thunder strikes, but it definitely helps to keep things somewhat stable in freak circumstances (I have a surge protecter connected to another surge protecter which powers my PC/network, very safe!).

As far as your website goes, sounds like you have it under control and know what needs fixin' and how to do it. So good luck the rest of the way. :iconthumbright:
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

it was a joke =) I have earned my money but not in a very hard way... I was "cashier/check in girl" at a funpark for a few months :)

I am currently dealing with his ideas and your suggestions... I have omitted the iframes in the large version now...
  • Global
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Global

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, Ice Cream Yummm.

I think you should improve the template and position it better on the page e.g centre.

i also think you should add keywords and description.

<head>
<title>Hauffes Glassbar</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="description" content="WRITE YOUR DESCRIPTION HERE">
<meta name="keywords" content="Ice Cream, KEYWORDS HERE">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="menu1.css" type="text/css">
<LINK href="css.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
</head>

Other than thats its great :)
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked at the css menues you've suggested... but I cant seem to be able to center it.. please if anyone know how to please tell me.....
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.annasuss.com/Ny/marang2.htm

VERY PROUD ...
it took ages to tweak into existance but here it is, a Centerred page :) Welll the one I tried on... when I have the info on all I will insert it on them too :D:D
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooh, what a pretty menu! ;)

Good work.
  • ad0beaddict
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmmm looks tasty never herd of them before
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

may be because they're in sweden and you're in the us? *S*
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Omg ! the front page is tempting ! I would suggest the ite centered. I like Hauffe Glassbar , it fills my mouth with water. Well , um , i was here for site review .. Yes, the Site looks Really Good, but there is no copyright, at the bottom. I would suggest that , its good and looks professional too. Moreover feed back is not working.
You dont offer a free sample ? ;)
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Loc: South East England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it me or are none of the pages working?
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

the http://www.hauffes.com really should be working. Either its you or you clicked the wrong link
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do, come to sweden and visit me and I'll buy you one. or two. or three =) I know the feedback's not working., as mentioned before its on the serverside... that is to be fixed shortly =) and I am centerring it =) its a tough process tho cause the centerrable javamenu is a bit tricky... difficult to get juust right =) so once I have ALL the info I will center ALL the pages... I think that'll be easier.... and faster...
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right now I dont feel like working ... =)

I made a new avatar instead,... This is the one place my mother doesnt go to.. so =) I am trying to keep it secret from her so I can surprise her later :D it'll be great.....

anyway... Hauffes will be on ice til friday... then I'll deal with it full time over the weekend :)
  • sana
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: I am back!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

suss wrote:
I do, come to sweden and visit me and I'll buy you one. or two. or three =)

I am on my way :D and nice avatar

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers