SITE REVIEW: Image Serve Free Image Hosting

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys! I switched everything about my site except for the domain and hosting! Take a look!

Let me know if you find any errors or anything!

PS: For those of you who said a decent website can't be built in 3 days, I started work on this at 11:00 PM last night and I finished just now, at 12:30 PM. I slept from 2:00 AM until 11:00 AM! That makes 4.5 hours of work!

Here's the link: http://www.truceco.com/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Toyminator
  • Student
  • Student
  • Toyminator
  • Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool but, the green is TOO green :wink:
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Toyminator wrote:
Cool but, the green is TOO green :wink:

Argh! That actually made me recoil from my monitor! :shock:
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. I made the green a bit less vibrant and neon. Do you guys like it better now?

Any comments on anything other than the green?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I changed the green to a light blue. I think it looks a little nicer now. I also added in a viewer when you upload an image.

Seriously now though.....ANYBODY have any comments, concerns, suggestions, amendmants, opinions?
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, now that I can actually read it, it's pretty good! I'd make the headings darker though, personally, so they stand out more. I think the images may look better centered, as well.

Another thought - what about a counter on the front page showing how many images you're hosting?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you made it so there are no usernames? Just bunches of random images posted one after the other..? Strange concept, how will people manage them?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rose - You upload an image and save the link. It is so when you want to add an image to a forum that doesn't support uploading you can upload to my site and use the link to display the image. I may add user functionality in the future, but I don't know much about SQL or too much PHP so I would need help. Anyone want to help?

Maedhros - What images do you mean? Like when you use the image list links? I changed that now! Good idea about the # of hosted images on the first page! I went ahead and did that. Also, I darkened the headers so they stand out more!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok cool :) well anyhoo best of luck with it, it is a great idea and I hope you make some money off it!! :D

(might pay to put an adwords banner on it - it actually can make some good money)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was planning to try to keep it ad free, but I was seriously looking into adwords. Do you have to be 18 to do it though?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good question, I would think so, but you can always sign up using your parents details. If you get good clicks you can actually earn enough to pay for the monthy fees on the server. One of our websites does that now.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sweet! Thanks Rose! I will do that!
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i love the idea. I think it's a damn good one. The layout is good tho the blue hit me with a wam but i got accustomed to it. I see ppl uploading bryce work...lol :) Again it's a good idea.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh one thing...the links to the image should open in another page. It's more...ahh...convenient.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which links do you mean? The links to view.php in the images list?

Hmmm....

PS: The bryce was mine! Just testing!
  • nxb22833
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nxb22833

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is much better now that it is blue. The only thing is that I do not see your site optimize for specifics keywords. I will suggest going to http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchi ... uggestion/

and research some keywords and the read some of the articles on this site for SEO, and try to target some good keywords.

My only suggestion is now that you are added make it a business. It does not matter that you are under 18. (take a look at this month people and the kids with business.)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was planning on doing google ad words. I signed up and now I'm just waiting for the confirmation.

As for SEO, I haven't really bothered with optimising it because their isn't that big of a difference. Google will pick it up just the same with the SEO I already have done......meta tags are useless! I have the title on all of the pages as "Free Image Hosting" which is enough. Also, my robots.txt file tells the crawler to scan all pages and links so I get the best possible listings.

Glad you like the blue better! :)
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
Have you made it so there are no usernames? Just bunches of random images posted one after the other..? Strange concept, how will people manage them?

What if there are some images you don't want others to see? Like, images of myself for example. I would like to keep my privacy in being the only one to access my photos...

actually, i kind of dont care about that, but my friend wanted me to put it
  • lilstorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it is a great idea :) But the site is a little boring to me. I do love the blue but maybe you should add a graphic or two? as it is about images maybe add a really eye catching photo in the upper right across from What is Image Serve?

And I am sure you could take a really nice picture of something to use :)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tips. I am planning on adding on users soon, although all images will still be publicly accessible unless membership is upgraded for a small fee perhaps. $9.95 a year for privacy??? Problem with that is they will want hosting to be guaranteed and I would have to get a lot more bandwidth and such. Hmmm......
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great looking site design. You just need some publicity and people will be uploading images like crazy. :D

One thought about the membership fee...

You should have something like 9.95 a year for an account name.. and privacy.. but also it could take off the size limits and keep the filenames. You could also make it so that the user could make their images viewable in a gallery. This might appeal to people who don't know much about "the internet" and are looking for an easy way to host some images to show to other people. Or something. Or not. XD
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

"or not" <- LOL. The reason I can't so much take off the filesize limits is because PHP errors out when a file larger than 2MB is uploaded using copy(). I would have to create an FTP connection to the server to upload an image if I were to take the restriction off, not to mention need a lot more space and bandwidth!

Great ideas about the accounts though! I am reading up on sessions and MySQL so I can make it all happen!

As for publicity goes, I am participating in many linkl-trading programs and I am having quite a bit of success. I am always open to swapping links with anyone here on Ozzu as well! Just drop a line at http://www.truceco.com/trade.php and we'll trade!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did some work in photoshop and improved the looks of the site. I went back to my usual grey tones to indicate professionalism. I think the site is much nicer looking.

Other minor updates include:
- No more "Uploaded On:" Field in the image list.
- Image list page code cleaned up (smaller size).
- Ads are now cycling!
(4 are pulled from the current list of ads and displayed via text. Still haven't recieved google approval)
- Anonymous Email Form has been added.

Let me know what you think!

Users are coming within 2 weeks hopefully!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The changes look cool bruv!!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any ideas on how to attract more uploading visitors? I still only have 26 images. :shock:

I am already trading links with a few places and I am using some ad trading program that automatically puts the ads on my site, but still not a whole lot of luck. :?

HELP!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Patience Luke, let the force grow strong within you, then you can conquer.

;)

Once the word gets out you will have more photo's on your server than you will know what to do with :lol:

Make sure your SEO is top notch - ask in the google form and search engine forum to have a look over them - try and get your site listed on DMOZ - that helps a lot too. Also try and trade links with websites who have users who have a use for free image hosting...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also change your sig to read Free Image Hosting - it wont get you any backlinks from Ozzu but it will get you clicks - the word will spread itself.

Another idea is to look for anywhere people are actually asking to know where they can get free image hosting..
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tips. I changed my sig so it says free image hosting. I am learning SQL and how to implement it in PHP so hopefully I can get some cool things going.

What do you guys think about letting users resize image when they upload them? I could do it fairly easily but would people use it?

Any other possible features?
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about doing streaming mp3 hosting for like $10 a month? Limit of 20GB bandwidth? Think anyone would go for it?

(Discount for Ozzu'ers of course!)

//EDIT:

I changed the layout here: http://www.truceco.com/slice.php

I haven't implemented it yet, but it should allow me to organize content better! What d'ya think? If you find it looking a mess it is probably because I am working on it. I am trying to get it as dynamic as possible! The rest of the site is suffering because I am changing critically formated files. It all looks funny now! :lol:
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

24 Hours and no comments? Is my site perfect? I doubt it! What do ya think?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers