SITE REVIEW: Indicium Web Design

• Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm new to this forum today and would welcome any constructive comments relating to the design & functionality of the following site.

<a href="http://www.indicium-web-design.com">Indicium Web Design Scotland</a>

I really like the Search Engine Simulator (not designed by me its the bosses work) but what do you think?

If anyone fancies linking in we'll happily link back.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very clean proffesional looking site. I think you have done an excellent job describing your services. IT almost seemed like you kept repeating yourself though. Many of the pages seemed to say the same thing, just reworded. Could just be me though. Nice site overall.
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your comments, we are contemplating a complete re-vamp of the content to combat this, however, we've just been too busy on other projects and site promotion.

Totally valid point, did you like the simulator?
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Srry forgot to mention that!! Yes I did. I searched up a site I did, and was surprised at how few meta tags I had. I think it is an excellent tool:D
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

That look very professional. Me personnally, I would use grey instead of purple on the CSS roll over links. Other than that, i like the layout and the content.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Simple, effective navigation. Focusing on content. Very professioanl.

I have a question though, why are you advertising for products through amazon(if i saw correctly)on a design company web site?
  • Gints Vitols
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gints Vitols
  • Loc: Latvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must agree with others that your site indeed looks very professional. The only real problem I encountered is that, at least on my monitor, it's really hard to separate the dark green hyperlink color from the rest of the text. I would advice to change the font weight of the links to bold, and maybe also change the hovered link color (which on my monitor just appears black, though, if I correctly understood your stylesheet, it actually is very dark blue).

Also in Mozilla 1.6 browser on the top of the page the line "INDICIVM" (in big letters) is rendered right over the line "www.indicium-web-design.com" and not above as in Internet Explorer.

I am not sure if it is a good idea that text that appears when you hover the cursor over the navigation bar is located so far away from cursor.
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome will be back to review shortly
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, thanks for the input,

I don't really agree with much thats been said though, the text links within the body text are only there as re-inforcement of the menu bars and should NOT stand out this is designed to be subtle and not garish.

I think that lots of bold text tends to draw your eyes to the bold and away from the actual content, we really want people to read all of the information provided.

The mouse overs are again re-enforcement and although away from the cursor, I bet everyone saw them and read them so THEY DO THE JOB intended.

We'll try and fix the browser problem with Mozilla 1.6 and thanks for letting us know about that.

And regarding Amazon, whats the problem? yes we are a web design firm and the books being sold are web design books. Can't quite see whats un-proffesional about that?

Thanks for you input anyway and to the lovely bee - I look forward to your review.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Petebadger wrote:
the text links within the body text are only there as re-inforcement of the menu bars and should NOT stand out this is designed to be subtle and not garish.

I think that lots of bold text tends to draw your eyes to the bold and away from the actual content, we really want people to read all of the information provided.

The mouse overs are again re-enforcement and although away from the cursor, I bet everyone saw them and read them so THEY DO THE JOB intended.

We'll try and fix the browser problem with Mozilla 1.6 and thanks for letting us know about that.

Very true about the body text links. They are clear enough as you read the text, but don't detract from the text itself.

The mouseovers are a bit far away. The user does get to see them, but some less computer savvy or internet savvy users will spend their whole time looking back and forth between the description text and the links, slowing down navigation. As a side note - javascript is the least efficient way of producing this effect. CSS is much more effective and canot be turned off.

I'm with rat on the purple hover colour. Changing this would also remove the need for the contrast accessibility selector. You could then remove the text size accessibility selector by having percentage text sizes. Seeing as people can text zoom on anything but IE anyway (no matter what you do to stop them) you're better off just allowing it. Anyone with poor eyesight would know where the text zoom is anyway.

in addition to the title error with mozilla, the accessibility options' title is the wrong size.

In addition: the quote would, imho, be better as text rather than an image, and the logo in the top could be made into a vector graphic.

BTW nice one no the #1 yahoo spot :D
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry I forgot my positive ending:

Having said all of that, It is a nicely presented site, clean and easy to understand. Well done
  • Gints Vitols
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gints Vitols
  • Loc: Latvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

To make the title in Mozilla to show in the right place try adding "margin-top: 0" to both "indiciumbrand" and "indiciumurl" styles.

By the way, why does title reads "indicivm" when everywhere else is "indicium"?
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger

Post 3+ Months Ago

In answer to your question,

The company logo is designed to appear like a latin inscription,

if you use the following link you can see an example of this:

<a href="http://www.domusaurea.org/thrasea/wallpapers/inscription.jpg">Latin inscriptions</a>
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Consider doing the logo as an Image and ontop of and right of the indicium.gif http://www.indicium-web-design.com/images/indicium.gif

I not 100% sure but you are not allowed to show the Google logo stretched like any other company logo.

Bookstore has horizontal scrolling on 800x600
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger

Post 3+ Months Ago

With reference to your comment about the quote on our index page, there is a simple reason that this is an image; there are no terms that we want optimised within it and to have text would dilute the promotion of the page.

Not only are we no.1 in Yahoo for Web design Scotland, but also 3 in Google and petty much no.1 or 2 everywhere else.

Accessibility is a key issue of any site, particularly in light of the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) coming into full fuition in October 2004, therefore we feel that it is better to be visibly taking steps to be compliant rather than assuming that people know where the text zoom is.

Thanks for your comments though they certainly threw up some interesting discussions this end.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Text in images is a waste of bandwidth - a better solution is just good old position:absolute.
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh we agree, however,

A) As I have already said we do NOT want to dilute the keyword density of the page, using text as you suggested would do this.

B) Bandwidth is not a high priority for this site as it is not and will not be image heavy - again this affects optimnisation
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't make myself clear - I was talking about the "indicivm" at the top of the page. There is no point in making it into an image as this is a waste of bandwidth. You already has it as text and I was merely stating that IMHO it should remain so.
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fair enough,

thanks for your input
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought you could do it by making the text more stylised and actually making it a “logo” with the logo image so it looks like 1 image. Wont be more than 8k.

P.s. If you think keyword density is whets needed as part of SEO I would not hire you for two reasons... 1 its ugly and 2 its not needed cos it does not work for competitive key words.

I still would not hire you if you don’t take action on Google logo as it is very unprofessional to butcher a brand and that is reflected on you.
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that keyword density if overly used will affect the optimisation of a site but with if you actually have the knowledge and can get the balance right it can be a massive aid to optimisation.

Its really all about getting the balance right, as I can see that you're already aware as you have a no.1 listing for Web Design Guildford, congratulations. (out of 82,000 sites)

To show you what can be achieved in a short period:

For the following terms:

SEO UK - Google no.9 out of 1.36 million sites (page went live last week and is yet to even get page rank!)

Web Design Scotland - Google no 3 out of 2.06 million sites.

Search Engine Simulator - Google no 3 out of half a million sites.

Of course these are only Google results we perform even better for our primary terms within Yahoo, Msn and Altavista.

Everyones entitled to their opinion but considering these listings have been achieved within 5 months! I feel they speak volumes about our SEO knowledge and our marketability to others.

Fancy exchanging links?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Petebadger wrote:
I agree that keyword density if overly used will affect the optimisation of a site but with if you actually have the knowledge and can get the balance right it can be a massive aid to optimisation.

WOW NO NO I did not say that at all!!!... you have much to learn young padwan.

Sorry I don’t have links page m8 - would make my portfolio messy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers