SITE REVIEW: Infinite Technologies - I.T. Consultants

• roddog
  • roddog
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Word,

I had never thought of how to build a website till about 6 month ago and bare with me b/c this is my first site to make. The url is:
http://www.infinitetech.net
I would like some constructive criticism, or praise. LOL

First let me explain what I have done and the route you take to actually get to my hompage.

First you get a php page that automatically determines your connection speed and screen resolution and puts a cookie on you with that info.

Then you go to another php page that reads the cookie and gets the connection speed and directs you to my site for broadband which has the intro and flash pages or it directs you to my site for dial-up which has no intro and no flash.

Each of these sites also have a php entry page that reads the cookie from the previous pages and gets your screen resolution and redirects you to the site that is made for your resolution.

Once you see my site you will see why I did all of this. I mainly didn't want to make sacrifices to my site just because of slow dial-up users so I created them and 800x600 users their own site.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is, without a doubt, one of the most awful websites I've seen yet. I'm very sorry to say that. But:

-the whole PHP thing with the redirects crashed IE at least three times until I opened it in Opera
-it was useless anyway, because it took a full ten minutes for everything to load at 48.8 kbps (dial-up! DIAL-UP VERSION!)
-Those menus at the top with the clicky sound drive me crazy, and stay away from Flash at this point, please!
-All those gradients and background images do NOT need to be there. No. Completely destroys the look of the website.
-Where is your color scheme? You have blues and grays and whites, and then GREEN AND PINK? This is confusing!
-Get rid of the table borders.
-No animated images.
-How come your site doesn't scroll with my scroll wheel?
-What is this site about?! For all I know, it could be advertising! I really don't know.
-I would never have anything to do with a company that referred to themselves as "The Good Guys."
-Take away the /Dial-up/ part of the URL and you can get dance music. Hm.

I'm sorry for being harsh, but I believe all my points are valid. Try looking at some CSS and make your site viewable for all connections!

Good luck!
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not bad, but a little too flashy for my tastes. The intro, however, is definitely cool. I don't have sound on my work computer so I couldn't hear a thing, but the flash was very professional.

Good luck. 7/10.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this a company that organizes raves and teen drug parties?
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I think they offer internet services.
  • roddog
  • roddog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input.

Yeah I felt like it was too much myself but everybody that I asked said it wasn't. I guess they were trying to be nice or something.
I took off the music and that calmed it way down plus I know if you are at work and you visited my page everybody would turn and look at you like you weren't working and you were just goofing off on the internet plus I don't wont to look like a party, well not too much.

I also tried to make it more apparent to what my company actually does by just saying it on the hompage - Computer Consulting.

Yeah, I kind of forgot to update the Dial-UP pages flash menu to the one with the new sound, but it is now. Yeah, that was the most irritating sound in the world. It would just about give me a headache. I also got rid of the good guys part.

I have played around with some different backgrounds but can't find anything that I like so far.

Conorific, what are you using? Like IE 3.0?
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No! I'm using IE6, like the rest of the world. It crashed IE because your whole redirection thing screwed up over dial-up. Don't get pissy because I stated that something didn't work. You should be more than happy to know that, because that means you have some work to do, and naturally, you would want as many people as possible to view your site. Don't post here if you can't take what people have to say.
  • roddog
  • roddog

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry. That came out the wrong way. I wasn't meaning anything by it. I have tested it with a lot of browsers including IE4 and none of them crashed. I said 3.0 because it is about the only one I haven't tried. I was simply trying to figure out what your configuration was because I have not tried all those browser on dialup but I did test IE 6 and 5 over dial-up and they both did just fine and I know that a bunch of things don't work on versions prior to 4 such as layer for example. That was just a bad choice of words.

I did take a lot of your recommendations and I do appreciate them and I Thank You for taking the time to dig through my website as deep as you did. I know you had to do a pretty thorough review to even know about the good guys part which I did take your advise and remove it. I am also currently working on some of your other recommendations.

I was wondering why my top exit site is the entrance site. I am trying to figure out what made it crash. Do you have java enabled?
On the scrolling part, did you put the cursor over the scrolling window when you tried to scroll? Sorry, I am just trying to figure out why things didn't work.

Thanks again for your time and I do appreciate it.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's okay. Sorry, I sort of overreacted too. It might possibly just e something weird with my computer, and yes, I have Java enabled. My strongest suggestion, though, is that you make a website that can be easily accessed by both connections. http://www.saopera.sa.gov.au/ is a site that makes good use of this. You could use Javascript rollovers or Flash for the menus if you wish, but I think this design is worthy of being based off of.
  • roddog
  • roddog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool. Thanks for the link. Yeah that is what I am trying to do now. I have been messing around with a few designs and just experimenting but I haven't found anything that is both light weight and just hits the spot. My current setup also hurts my search engine rankings a little but not as much as they say it should. I have made a few changes to the dial up page as per your recommendations or should I say I have been experimenting with different ways of implementing them.
Thanks again for the info and tips.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem. If you feel you need further feedback or help, PM me or reply to the thread. I'm glad you're making an effort!
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

its wonderful.

the only issue, I think the clouds are not needed, the flow of the sea is nice and enough.

As over all, I its cool.
  • roddog
  • roddog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the positive note BlueHat.
  • s][ren
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Lehigh Valley

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I can say that I like the intro... kinda long but cool. I don't have a 56k so I really can't say how long it would take to DL there (seems long though...)

The actuall site is way to busy!
The sea and clouds really take away from the content, might want to just make a graphic of the clouds and sea.

The top flash menu's text is different, Home and wireless almost seem bold compared to networking. I like the clicking sound... 8)

The seperator bar is either not good quality or messed up? It is smudged.

other than that, you might want to put your memberships and certifications at the bottom, maybe smaller.

Good Job though I like the brightness :lol:
  • roddog
  • roddog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks again for the input. I have listened to your suggestions and I have gotten rid of the clouds but did leave the water b/c I spent way too much time making all of that flash to get rid of it all. LOL
But I agree that it was taking away from the content definitely.
I also got the certs and logos as small as I could get them and they still look good.
s][ren, before I even start on the menu, what are you refereing to when you say separator bar?
Thanks again for all your inputs. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers