SITE REVIEW: Information Systems for your Website

• Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, i’ve been working my butt off on these systems for over a year now, and i’ve finally got them to a point where i feel comfortable letting to public begin to subscribe to them to use on their own websites.

I’m not good at marketing myself, nor my products, so i was wondering if i could get some feedback on what users THINK about these systems, and what they think about the way i’m presenting them (eg, words, design, layout, USABILITY, etc). It would also be great if someone actually USED them and told me what they thought. I need to know how this site FEELS to the user, and if it gets the point across accurately, and lets the user know WHAT this is that i've built, and HOW it BENEFITS them.

The website in question is: http://iims.ionisis.com
You would click on a particular system to view its details; that main iims page is just an overview as to how my SaaS framework works with the systems.

If you actually wanted to check them out and USE them to see how they feel (usability), you can see them and use them at TheSocialExpo.com

I REALLY appreciate any help on this, as i’ve been working on this for FAR too long to give up now…

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a few comments on the design itself in terms of the way it looks. For the most part I like it, but in the footer the gradient you are using their is rough looking in my opinion. Hard on the eyes and contains banding. You may want to make it go wide too like you used with your header. Second for your slides I am thinking its supposed to be rounded corners, but I am also getting a square rectangle around it which I believe is not how you want it. Here is a screenshot from Firefox:

Attachments:
ionisis-homepage-screenshot.jpg

In your CSS you have this:

CSS Code: [ Select ]
#heading{
   height:256px;
   text-align:center;
   padding:0px 0px 0px 0px;
   margin:0px 0px 16px 0px;
   background:url("/api.ionisis.com/images/style/heading_bg-00.png") center bottom no-repeat;
   border:1px solid #cccccc;
   border-radius:12px;
}
  1. #heading{
  2.    height:256px;
  3.    text-align:center;
  4.    padding:0px 0px 0px 0px;
  5.    margin:0px 0px 16px 0px;
  6.    background:url("/api.ionisis.com/images/style/heading_bg-00.png") center bottom no-repeat;
  7.    border:1px solid #cccccc;
  8.    border-radius:12px;
  9. }

The one I highlighted is causing your white border there. I also think that a bit more padding around that area could be good, your call though.
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, BWM, are you using firefox < 4? I actually changed all of my -moz-border-radius declarations to just "border-radius" because i thought that it was supported in all recent browser versions, but it looks like i was wrong with a few of them :D. Anyway, i'm getting rid of that line, as it's really not needed now.

And, i will do something about that footer, thanks :D.

Here's my most critical quesiton:
Do you guys actually think that people will WANT these systems, since they're provided as SaaS, and not a standard "paid for it and download it and install it and run it yourself" kind of product? In other words, you don't have to worry about managing and fixing the systems, as we do that continually, as well as improve them; but you do have to keep paying to use them (about a nickle per day, per system), so do you think that concept is going to put off a lot of people?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I did check it in an older version which is why I saw that :)

I think some people may use them, there is alot of competition for that sort of stuff out there though. That means you have to not only get the visitors to your website, you have to make your product stand out better than the rest. My main concern for you is that the type of products you are offering there. You are competing with some websites that simply focus on one of those products. For instance you offer UFBB. Some major competition would be phpBB and vBulletin.

Is your product an all in one solution? or each of them separate? I am having a hard time figuring that out when visiting your website.
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, i don't have 1 product, i have about 10 of them, which can be used together to build ANY TYPE of website that you want. There's a system for almost every common need, all of which depend on you having the user accounts system. Also, the systems are constantly being upgraded and improved and more features added to them, and NEW systems will be under development before long that offer new types of services. So, once you're tied into our SaaS framework, you're set for life, pretty much. And we do ALL bug fixes and maintenance on the systems, so the client never has to worry about a thing.

Once you have the user account system, you can litterally ADD WHOLE systems to your website INSTANTLY, by simply clicking "Add". It's bad-assed, really. I just don't know how to show the user that what we have is different than anything that's EVER been offered before (and better, imo).

For example, if you want forums on your site, you would simply click "add forums", and it's IMMEDIATELY available on your site with NO installation or setup WHATSOEVER :D. Same for our ecommerce system, CMS system, Blog system, Video Sharing system, etc.

One thing that i was thinking about doing, which you may be interested in, is offering a "Web Host" package to hosting providers, which they could GIVE to their users. For example, "Ozzu Hosting also gives you 10$ in ionisis credits, and provides an ionisis API starter kit with every hosting account, new or old". I'm not sure if i'm explaining that correctly either. As long as they're running on a php-enabled and curl-enabled webserver, then they can use our SaaS framework, so i was going to provide webhosts with an always updated starter kit for the framework, which website owners can setup in 5 minutes, and then also offer them 10$ in credits to get started right away, and try our stuff out.

Another pitfal that i'm experiencing is that i've been working for over a year out of my own pocket to build these systems. My plan was, once they were ready to be used, i would dump about 1,000$ into advertising. Well, i'm out of work right now, so i have NO money to advertise and market with, coincidentally, now that they're FINALLY ready! It sucks, bad..... I was considering trying to work with someone on getting this off the ground, but i don't even know how i would go about doing that...
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, i know this sounds crazy, but tell me what you think about this "retarded" marketing idea:

I decided to make all of the systems FREE. People can use them for no money at all. I wonder how that's going to go over...

My HOPES are that the free accounts that are ad supported (via MY OWN internal ad system) will generate enough ad revenue to cover the cost of their bandwidth and cpu and memory consumption... I could loose my shirt on this one, or make it big. I guess we'll see...
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, i think that i've NAILED it with this last modification, if anyone wants to give it another look. I figured out, thanks to everyone's feedback, that i was FLOODING the user with an information overload. So, i found a way to include all of the information on the page, AND MORE, in such a way that the user can consume it in a much easier way. I really think this is a MAJOR improvement :D.
  • crownpc
  • crownpc
  • Loc: Cortland, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your header links only appear on mouse over which is very user unfriendly. One should be able to read the navigation without having to mouse over a blank box to see what is hidden behind it. After all, this is not "Let's Make A Deal".
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shouldn't be blank. You were probably waiting for the font to download. Is it blank if you go back there?
  • crownpc
  • crownpc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, the second time around worked properly, though I was on that page for some time the first time. Not bad, but I recommend doing some proofreading and editing. Here is just one example that hit me in just a few seconds on the site: "We when launch our alpha sytems we will give anyone already registered a voucher for free credits. "
  • Ionisis
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ha! Thanks for pointing that out!
  • crownpc
  • crownpc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a problem, I get to do a lot of proofreading, and even catch myself writing things that when looked at later, simply make me scratch my head, and say: "What is the point of that nonsense?"....lol
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Visually, your site looks great. There really isn't much i could say that is bad. But the one thing is the name. It would be fairly difficult for someone to remember. I understand that would be a huge thing to change, but its just the only thing i can think of. So good job :)
  • jg333
  • Born
  • Born
  • jg333

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,
I think it would be great to have at least small text that will explain what does your company do. When I visited your website from iPhone it was hard to understand before I view the video.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers