SITE REVIEW: iRob, blog of a teenager

• SmartOnePotter
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SmartOnePotter

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my blog that's been up for about a month, and I really want some feedback on the layout/content/etc. Any help is appreciated!

http://smartonepotter.hostrocket.com/

I know that's a long address, but I'm using the site to make money so I can buy decent webspace and a domain name. Then the ads at the bottom of the page will go away, and I'll have a domain name that's easier to type in.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks nice: pleasant to eyes, nice color scheme.

If you are planning on making money with your site then you might want to go ahead and buy your domain name (it is only 6 dollars for a year). I'm not saying to buy hosting or use the domain yet, but simply buy it. The longer you own a domain the better google indexes you. After a year of the domain name being registered it no longer considers you a "new site" which in turn increases your PR. If you can get iRob.com it will be very helpful because it's a 4 letter domain that users can easily remember. What I'm trying to say is that hosting is the expensive part ($60+ a year) and that having your domain name for as long as possible is very helpful.

Your headers are not capitalize. I think that it would look better if they were.

Also since your site is a blog, you could make an RSS feed which your users could subscribe to and know when ever you update your site. This will help with return visitors. http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html .

I think that you have a good idea and hope that your site is very successful.
  • logdy
  • Born
  • Born
  • logdy

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks good but I see only one post on the first page. Remember that most visitors do not want to search or navigate trough your website, they need to see interesting information or they leave the site.
  • SmartOnePotter
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SmartOnePotter

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got previous posts on my feed -- which is there. There's a little RSS icon below the google adsense ads. But you think I should have an HTML page of all my old posts?
  • SmartOnePotter
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SmartOnePotter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, sorry to double post, but iRob.com is taken and I want a .com domain, so I guess I'll have to think of something else... and the capitalization thing was that I wanted the layout to seem more casual and layed back.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know why I didn't see the RSS link there. But if you would like it to be in the address bar to be more noticable you can simply insert this:
Code: [ Select ]
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="iRob Blog" href="http://www.(url).xml">

1. <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="iRob Blog" href="http://www.(url).xml">

That sucks that iRob.com is taken. Maybe you should think about renaming your site to reflect what your url will be. But what ever it is the sooner you buy it... the sooner google will quit labeling you as a "new site".

Also I agree with what logdy said: you should have more posts on your homepage and the have an archive link at the bottom. I see that the rest are on your RSS feed, but you should have at least 3 on your main page, also that link to your RSS feed seems a little concealed: it looks more like your just advertising RSS feeds, and if they want to read your content then they prob don't wanna jump to a xml.com site. I would try to make it more ovious that it links you to your old blogs.

the layout is pretty nice, It seems like you have only a little bit of content (some of that feeling is due to the fact that its hard to realize that the "RSS Valid" is acctually your archive of blogs). I think that the site has a lot of potential. Keep it up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers