SITE REVIEW: islandpropertyguide.com

• cgardiner
  • Loc: Caribbean

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, this ones been around for a bit but been doing lots of work on it of late.

It would be great to get a review of the look of this site: http://www.islandpropertyguide.com

Any suggestions are welcome, the technology isn't great but I am using interactive tools CMS to run most of it.

Looking forward to your comments.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice color scheme, and overall, straight forward design. I like that. My top suggestion would be to work on your forms (I'm thinking of the search form in particular). A search is typically a bit more compressed than that, and I just get an old-school feeling from looking at all those radio buttons. Maybe try to emulate something more like you see on popular travel sites. Their main purpose is to search, so they must be doing something right.
  • cgardiner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definitely something worth looking at, my main aim was to provide as many search options as possible. I may of gone over the top a bit...
  • zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi cgardiner,
Very nice site and color background.
2 questions I have is:
1.My 1st impression to the site is: Left part of homepage is nice and clear, but the right side of homepage is almost blank...I think the right part is a little too much blank space, feel like losing my balance.
2.About Us: When introduce the site of islandpropertyguide.com, it told "coming for the Mother website - http://www.guidetostlucia.com"...That means, I have to visit the site of guidetostlucia.com first,right? And, when I try to visit guidetostlucia.com, failed!
  • zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi cgardiner,
I've just tried to visit http://www.guidetostlucia.com again. Can open the site now. :)
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

zhouyi mentioned the blank space on the right side - I'm not a fan of left-aligned layouts when they're that small either. I'd rather it be center-aligned, either that or make it a fluid design, which shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

You've got a nice colour scheme going there, and I think it works well.

I like the idea of the sharing through social bookmarking websites and such but that bar and specifically how it drops down on mouseover is very annoying.

You might also want to correct the language a bit. Nothing says unprofessional more than broken English. For example:
Your Website wrote:
We presently offer a place for individuals, agents and developments to list there Caribbean real estate and through our recent addition of RSS Feeds viewers can now tract and follow all listings on the website.

This should be more like:
"We presently offer a place for individuals, agents and developments to list their Caribbean real estate online, and through our recent addition of RSS feeds viewers can now track all listings on the website."

They're only little things but they make a big difference.

One more comment - unless a user arrives at a website expecting to read a lot of text, they generally just look at images and maybe one or two sentences. In my opinion there is a bit too much text for a real estate listing website. I expect to see extensive images of available properties, and I only want to read chunks of text on the properties I'm interested in.
  • cgardiner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many many thanks to all that have replied to my post - some very useful information and I will take as much on board as possible. And thank you Breeze as I have used your rewrite on the site. Text has NEVER been my strong point.

Much of what was said is right, and I hope to make a number of changes over time.

Once again, many thanks to all of you for your honest critics.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh well, you can't be good at everything :D

Thanks for taking the advice on board.
  • cgardiner

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you are a one man show you kind of have to be, hence the use of this site.. When you are in the design industry and work on your own it is REALLY hard to find individuals that can give you good honest feedback - most of what you get in general are - great; nice; well i'm not sure but don't know why.. etc etc

So this is cool! Thanks.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No worries :) If you make changes to your website don't forget to post again in this thread and we'll have another look.
  • cgardiner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great stuff cheers!
  • namecritic
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Miami Beach

Post 3+ Months Ago

cgardiner wrote:
OK, this ones been around for a bit but been doing lots of work on it of late.

It would be great to get a review of the look of this site: http://www.islandpropertyguide.com

Any suggestions are welcome, the technology isn't great but I am using interactive tools CMS to run most of it.

Looking forward to your comments.

This isn't about the look of your website because I'm not a designer. But I do know about lead generation, sales, and onsite SEO, so here are a few suggestions.

I would say from the look that you are trying to optimize it for island properties, island property, caribbean real estate, and variations of those phrases like caribbean homes for sale, island homes for sale, etc.

On page 1, you should shorten the h1 tag to "Island Real Estate". If you want to leave property guide in the title tag, that's ok, but the site will look better with the shorter h1 tag and it will target that key phrase better as well.

in the lower section, the paragraph right under; "Island Real Estate in St Lucia at Island Property Guide", would look better aligned left.

The same goes with the content at the bottom of your other pages.

Also, where you link to the search pages and other areas from the content, like the word development linking to that search page, it would be better if you had linked "St Lucia properties and developments" rather than just developments.

The whole site seems to be optimized for "island property guide". According to the google keywords tool, there is not enough people searching for that term to make up even a small target audience.

Many people like to optimize for the name of their website, but unless it is a branding issue, it is not the best strategy.

I like the links on the right side of the page that lead people directly to your search features. Well done.

I like the anchor text links embedded into the content. Well done.

But your website needs more focus.

Each page of your website needs to begin with one target key phrase. The you take that key phrase and type it into the google keywords tool at https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal. The tool is designed for gogole adwords, but it gives you info about other key phrases that google considers relevant to that key phrase.

Use your main key phrase in the file name, like islandrealestate.html, in your title tag like "Island Real Estate" and your h1 tag the same or a variation. This is you telling google what you want that page to rank for.

Then google's bot will look in the content of that page to see if it can find terms it considers related to what you want to rank for. Those are the terms you found in the google keywords tool that were relevant to your main key phrase.

If it finds both the main key phrase and the terms it considers relevant to it, then your page will rank well for the main key phrase.

Also, don't listen to people who say the keywords and description meta tags are not important. There are also people who say alt tags have little importance, or title tags in links, etc.

Covering all the bases is always the best strategy. Algorithms change, but basic good seo doesn't. So cover all the bases and add the metas to your pages.

Is it possible to put all that extra code in your source code in an external file rather than in the page? Code to text ratio is important.

As I said, overall, I think you've done a great job. You have content. You've used keywords and phrases. You've linked some of those to other pages without being spammy about it. The site has potential.

I like the ezine page. Do you update that often?

I just think it could be edited to give it more focus. Wish I had more time to study your competitors and give you a real analysis, but the key points are;

1. Align left on your text instead of always centering it.

2. Move cose to external files where possible.

3. Add description and keywords metas. Don't stuff the keywords meta.

4. Try to target at least a smaller group of keywords on each page to give it more focus. Search engines crawl and index web pages, not websites. In the old days, we used lycos, alta vista and other search engines and directories. The results page used to give a % at the end of each link like this result is 98% relevant to your search, this page is 50% relevant, etc. The search engines still look at that, but they don't tell us anymore because seo guys like me were able to use that information too well. :)

But the more keywords you try to target with each web page, the less relevant you are to any one search phrase. The less relevant you are, the lower you rank for those search terms.

5. Look again at your anchor text in your interior navigation to see where that can be improved.

Those things alone will help improve the site. As far as promoting it, how is your link building campaign working out? Are you blogging? Are you doing any social networking? Are you adding content on a regular basis?

There are a lot of questions I would need to ask you before I can give you a better analysis, but I hope this is at least a little helpful to you.
  • zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi namecritic,
I also want to say thank you for sharing your opinions.Going to optimize my site now.
  • namecritic
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Miami Beach

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi zhouyi. Pretty website. Since it's mostly shopping cart/ecommerce, have you thought about adding some clean html pages on the back end that target specific keywords and phrases?

Sometimes, with websites that have a lot of code like ecommerce, web directories, etc., it is very difficult to really optimize them. So we work around it, adding a wordpress blog, html pages on the backend, or even building microsites on other domain names in order to catch better search engine listings and cast a wider net to draw customers.

Anyway, just wanted to ask if you have thought about doing some of that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers