SITE REVIEW: IsMyWebsite Advertising

• Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings everyone. I am currently creating a free hosting and testing out some ideas to create an innovative advertising system. It needs to be not only appealing for webmasters, but also effective for advertisers - and able to support the host.

Basically, you have four targetted 88x31 buttons displayed at a time - with webmasters of each site choosing the colour scheme, position, dimensions, and type of ads. This means ads can be effectively blended into the website instead of just stuck at the top.

I also had the idea of credits - which are each worth 1 click-through or 1,000 ad appearances. The pricing is 5¢ for 10, 45¢ for 100, $4 for 1,000, $35 for 10,000, or $300 for 100,000. Right now, I'm giving out 100 free advertising credits to the first 1,000 registered accounts on the site. This is a limitted-time opportunity to try out the service free of charge.

http://join.ismywebsite.com/

My main hope is that everyone will give me feedback and opinions of this service - so I can continue working to improve it. Thanks everyone!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

Few points:

Change your registration procedure to remove the need to tick all those individual check-boxes, replace them with one overall checkbox. It's quite disturbing and puts you off ... "sign your name here in bl**d" :?

Increase your special offer. 100 free credits with a total value of 5 cents isn't much of an incentive :(

Your registration confirmation email comes from a "gmail" address (?)

Put your style sheet in a seperate file.

Lose the tables and use CSS

Add some more meta tags

I assume the site isn't finished. I reached a page that said

Quote:
Basic Information

Enter some basic information about the website you are planning to build.

... but there was no mechanism to enter the data :?:

Anyway, just food for thought.

Good luck.

Cheers, Prime ... :D
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

On your home page there is content like:

Quote:
Grow your Website

As your website grows, it advances through the IsMyWebsite process. Each stage is associated with one task - planning, improving, promoting, and expanding. Each new stage is accompanied by a site review and access to increased features.

I would change the header/title...it sounds awkward.
  • Bogey
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now, wheres that log-off button? :scratchhead:
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Change your registration procedure to remove the need to tick all those individual check-boxes, replace them with one overall checkbox. It's quite disturbing and puts you off ... "sign your name here in bl**d"

I do that to get readers to read what they are agreeing to. I feel it is very important to ensure that people know what they are agreeing to although I guess most people will just click without reading. My original theory was that yes, some people would be disinclined to register - but those are the same people who don't read the rules anyways.

Also, a lot of people do not understand the basic concepts that set this site apart from others. How to explain them to those who are unwilling to read is a trick proposition.

Quote:
Increase your special offer. 100 free credits with a total value of 5 cents isn't much of an incentive .

The incentive is worth 45¢ and designed to allow people to test - also to fill up the program with a variety of ads and attract some clients for the future. I am worried if I give out too much of an incentive, It will encourage people to register a large number of false accounts. It is likely to be a long time before anyone clicks onto the sites 100 times, and during that time there is no chance they would want to purchase more credits. There is a variety of factors at play here - not just the quantity of registrations.

Quote:
Your registration confirmation email comes from a "gmail" address (?)

There are a number of reasons for this. The first is, I am a big Gmail fan and really like their service. It provides a very easy interface and better mail sorting software than I have on the server.

Secondly, the server gets a large diluge of spam and my inbox on it is just full of it. It's like I'm brushing through a giant pile of brush to get at the actual useful messages.

And thirdly, there is the advantage that even if the server goes down at some point (the 0.01%) my email will still be online to receive notification of this and help people out.

I realize it may be unprofessional, but it does seem to convey a certain message of more personal communication - which is something I am trying to promote. My goal is support that rivals top paying hosts, and support is something I really enjoy providing.

Quote:
Put your style sheet in a seperate file.

Alright. I can do this tonight.

Quote:
Lose the tables and use CSS

Table are easier to work with and slightly more widely suported. Also, I got the site designed by a very friend of mine using tables. He knows CSS but is very busy and does not have a lot of time. I myself am not very good at design. In order to convert to CSS, I would need someone else's help, which will come soon as a site helping webmasters fills with more of them.

Quote:
Add some more meta tags

I will definitely be doing this. Right now, however, the main push is getting the service online before I focus on marketing it.

Quote:
I assume the site isn't finished. I reached a page that said
... but there was no mechanism to enter the data

Yep. The actual hosting is not up yet. I started constructing the form but forgot to put an under construction sign. Wonder how many people have been confused by this... I will fix it tonight.

Quote:
I would change the header/title...it sounds awkward.

Perhaps you have been receiving too much enlargement spam? What else should I change it to?
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have fixed:
-Style sheet now in separate file
-Meta tags added
-Under construction warning added

Awaiting input on:
-Terms of service
-Email address
-Header/title
-Anything else

Thanks for your time.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay my turn ...

On the http://join.ismywebsite.com page there are 114 coding errors ... You can see them here.
The W3C validator also found 1 error in your stylesheet ... You can see that here

This is what I see when the page has finished loading ... the backgrounds only appear when I roll over them for the first time ...
And this below is what the menu looks like after I have rolled over the links ... as you can see the links are too far to the left, which makes them hard to read ...

Also it seems like there is an image missing on the left hand side nav, because after the links the image just stops suddenly, not like on the "home" page

On the "about" page the font you chose (times) I think would look better in Arial and a little smaller ... but this is just my opinion.

On the "login" page the "login" box is in the middle of the screen about halfway down ... I'm sure you can move that up to save some vertical space ...

On the contact page there is again a big white gap before the actual content starts ...

The "links" and the "home" page looks great to me, but I guess that's an older design, but it looks more complete ...

EDIT: I forgot to say that I'm using FF 2.0.0.4 and IE7 and it looks the same in both
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

One more thing from my side ... please won't you disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example, if a user is on the "home" page, then the "home" link is disabled, and in another colour ... (static text)
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gave the address as just 'style.css' and changed it to 'http://www.ismywebsite.com/style.css' later. But for some reason it reverted this change?!? It appears fixed now anyways...

Unfortunately, that means most of your post is now rendered pointless and I've wasted your time except for:

The W3C errors. Fixed many of them. How can I specify SHORTTAG = YES? (Google is not helping)

Disabling links. This is difficult to work in. The point is to tell the visitor what page they are on?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically the point is to tell them where they are, and to make sure they don't redirect to the same page they are on at the moment ...
Azoundria wrote:
How can I specify SHORTTAG = YES?

What do you mean by that?
  • Glock
  • Born
  • Born
  • Glock
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh... i think you have pretty odd redirections =/ may be i m getting them , any ways nice simple design, i think you should work on the color scheme =/
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Basically the point is to tell them where they are, and to make sure they don't redirect to the same page they are on at the moment ...

So alright then. What should I display when they are the page associated with a certain menu option? Should I depress the button? Change the arrow? Or just slightly darken the text and leave it unclickable.

Also, I have right now some menu items which go multiple place. For example, the Home option will take you to your main login page if you're logged in, and the front of the site if you're on that page. And the Login option will take you to a Login screen that brings you directly to your advertisers panel if you click it from ads.ismywebsite.com.

Quote:
What do you mean by that?

The W3C validator told me I could specify SHORTTAG = YES and then I wouldn't have to worry about all those extra quotes. Do I put this in the DOCTYPE tag somewhere?

Quote:
ahh... i think you have pretty odd redirections

Meaning? What redirections?

Quote:
i think you should work on the color scheme =/
Quote:
What's wrong with my colour scheme? Blue and orange are colours tied to emotions I want to promote about my service - and they go nicely together.

Quote:
Now, wheres that log-off button? #Scratch Head

I just realized I missed this. You can use the Log In button to log off. But perhaps I should make another one. Where?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers