SITE REVIEW: IsMyWebsite

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
The way I see it a Google Link Ad is basically a bunch of links to related services. Anyone interested in clicking those links would deliver the advertiser his desired audience. It shouldn't matter if the site is a paid advertisement or an affiliate site if the visitor is interested in clicking it.

The real question is, why do people have such a fear of clicking advertisements. Popups I can understand but Google Ads?

I see it messed up in Firefox a bit from what it showed in IE and I have no gaps between menus. So I'll have to fix this. So I'll have to fix this and other than that I should get around to uploading tommorrow.

Alright that makes sense.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input everyone... Keep it coming please.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the new design and look of the website! Just that some pages I encounter (such as the page that is shown when you add your email to the mailing list) are still using the old design. You might want to fix that. Also, I could have sworn there was something in the ToS that says you can't edit the HTML of the AdSense coding. You might want to review it like SpooF mentioned earlier, because I'm not 100% sure. One more thing is that you should remove the Registration page or add a "Under Construction" or something because it is kind of annoying to have to read the 7 or whatever number it was amount of paragraphs and tick the checkboxes only to find that the page is being built.
  • etrader
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have some good features and options

but in general the design is not very professional

at least it doesn't seem
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I love the new design and look of the website! Just that some pages I encounter (such as the page that is shown when you add your email to the mailing list) are still using the old design. You might want to fix that.

I have fixed that page. If there are any others please let me know.

Quote:
Also, I could have sworn there was something in the ToS that says you can't edit the HTML of the AdSense coding. You might want to review it like SpooF mentioned earlier, because I'm not 100% sure.
Quote:
I'll have specific HTML I got from the site and the user can choose then. Or maybe I'll sit down one day and get an auto-clicker to try every single combination of colours and designs so I can in effect be using unmodified code. Or maybe I could build a generator to grab the code from the AdSense server but that would be difficult. I'll find a way.

Quote:
One more thing is that you should remove the Registration page or add a "Under Construction" or something because it is kind of annoying to have to read the 7 or whatever number it was amount of paragraphs and tick the checkboxes only to find that the page is being built.

How about adding a paragraph above mentioning that the site is still under construction?

Quote:
in general the design is not very professional

Still? Don't know what I can do about that. I personally suck at design and SpooF built this for me and I think it looks very nice and this is the only insult I have recieved about it.

On other forums I'm getting input about redoing the features thing. They want the mouse-over text to be on the top or bottom but that would make it unnoticed. So I am not sure what to do or how to answer this.
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

you need lots of work, starting with font usage, your fonts are out of place, wrong size, all over the site and your rollovers are jumpy, firefox shows your site cells and font size incorrectly and IE shows your fonts 2 big, i see your using google ads, so try on the left side put the rest of your font size the same as the googles, so it blends in,
just a few pointers, there are more but ill leave it at that for now ;)
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
you need lots of work, starting with font usage, your fonts are out of place, wrong size, all over the site

Can you give me examples of what you don't like? The only font everyone is having difficulty with is the bold Arial Narrow, as far as I know, and I'm still looking for a replacement font.

Quote:
your rollovers are jumpy

My rollovers are jumpy? As in there's that annoying little gap where nothing displays? That's great. Anyone know how to deal with it because I know I've tried a few things.

Quote:
firefox shows your site cells and font size incorrectly and IE shows your fonts 2 big, i see your using google ads, so try on the left side put the rest of your font size the same as the googles, so it blends in

It may surprise you to find out that the fonts look the same size for me on all computers I've ever looked at this site on and no one else has ever reported such a problem. I would be tempted to think that your IE browser is set to display fonts one size larger than your Firefox browser.

That would explain a lot of your comments. Perhaps you can explain the font usage problems?
  • shandaman
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • shandaman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not to bad, decent design, decent content, and decent SEO but the SEO portion could be dramatically improved ;)
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What can I do to improve SEO?
  • Alexey
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Alexey

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) No.
3) Add a little image or somehting, a banner maybe.
4) About the company. Or about yourself if you are building reputation ;).

Looks neat but it requires more work imo.
  • WholeCloth_Newbie
  • Born
  • Born
  • WholeCloth_Newbie

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me, asthetically, I think the banner on the top of the page should be larger and the fonts in the middle of the page should be smaller. I also think that if you could 'stretch' your site to fill in the dead space on the sides it would look cleaner.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been working on the site. What I've changed so far:

1) The front of the site has been condensed for quick readability. Should be better this way.

2) I have resized the 'Features' area, increased the readability, and moved the description to the bottom. I'm not sure how to get this information to appear for search engines and people with JavaScript disabled.

3) I have changed the registration page to get people to join the mailing list. Is it effective?

4) Contact section updated. Does it make sense? Thoughts?

5) I have started on the about section - but it's still heavily a Work In Progress.

6) Fixed the Mailing List signup to proper layout.

7) I am still debating what to do with the side menu for best results. Any ideas?

So thanks for taking the time to review my website.
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site seems to be down.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it's up now. I have been fixing it up all yesterday and now I'm out of review so anyone who reads this say something helpful at least!

http://www.ismywebsite.com/
  • jessre0516
  • jessre0516

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like that the email is in the registration page. If you want to try something different we have our sign up on the homepage in the bottom right corner. Just a small box, but big enough to notice it.

From the way the homepage is setup now, having the navigation buttons at the top and on the left is very redundant. I wouldn't put the navigation buttons above the google/partner sites area because when I first glanced at it I thought the navigation keys were for something other than navigating your site.

You definitely want to make it clearer on the home page what the goal/purpose of your site/service is because like many of the other people I had to read through several pages to get answers. I would put some kind of paragraph defining who you, the company, are and what you do above the "your success is our success" area.
  • hannesmu
  • hannesmu

Post 3+ Months Ago

theak wrote:
"Firefox can't find the server at http://www.ismywebsite.com"

Your site appears to be down...

i also cant open your page with firefox, but also with ie.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is odd. Perhaps someone could try pinging the site (enter 'ping http://www.ismywebsite.com' in the MSDOS prompt) if it's down again. Then I'll know for sure it's the server not my code.

This is not the server that the free host will be hosted from.
  • brentjlaf
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

my suggestions

1. get rid of the blue underlined links - thats so 1997, most user looking for this kind of site should recognize more stylized links.

2. too many tables, css this baby up.

3. maybe a little too much text on the main page.

4. maybe some kind of hover on the top navigation.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) The links on the left are designed to perfectly match the Google Ads - which are likely only there for temporary until I get my own advertising program set up.

2) The way I see it, everyone is trying to do with CSS what tables do best. I use a mix of CSS and tables, and I can't see a reason to do it otherwise.

3) Originally (about a week ago) the site displayed just one relevant paragraph of text at a time and you could mouse over each feature to get information about that feature. One day that feature broke and displayed everything. I noticed I got more emails that day than normal so I kept it that way. It's also more effective for SEO and visitors who actually read it.

4) This would be great but I'm not sure exactly what should happen with the hover.
  • slash007
  • Student
  • Student
  • slash007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see a search option on it.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

By search you mean to be able to search for websites? That's in the works but first you need websites.

The site right now consists of under 12 pages - so any search feature would be fairly pointless.
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Umm, not exactly sure...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria, as I said on msn, great work on it. Its alot different from when you started the first ismywebsite...

The layout of everything looks fine to me. Just be sure to not have everything clumped. Also, if you need any graphics, ill be on msn most of the time.
  • abhaykochar
  • abhaykochar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
Hello everyone... I'm launching this service in March. I have the front of the site all ready for public viewing, particularly wondering what you think of:

1) Setup
What do you think of my ideas for the host and the way the site is organized?

2) Design
Is the site visually appealing?

3) Image
Does my site look professional and trustworthy?

Thanks

Font n other style wrk need to done..
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting a brand new even better layout. What does everyone think of this one?

http://www.ismywebsite.com/new.php
  • darkzelkova
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that at current there is still too much scrolling, perhaps you could have the features on another page? Maybe have the table you have now, then have a "detailed features list" or something like that. I also like the new design that will be implemented soon ;)
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the new design alot better then the current one. Its alot cleaner! :)
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only negative comments I have received so far is the use of a rounded Arial font (which the person mistaked for Comic Sans MS). I am working on selecting a better font. How does 'Data Control' look on the following page?

http://www.1001freefonts.com/computerfonts.htm

Would it be good?
  • Darc3st1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Darc3st1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site, I love the themes and banners.

Very helpful.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright... Anything more insightful from anyone?
  • gator
  • gator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
Hello everyone... I'm launching this service in March. I have the front of the site all ready for public viewing, particularly wondering what you think of:

1) Setup
What do you think of my ideas for the host and the way the site is organized?

2) Design
Is the site visually appealing?

3) Image
Does my site look professional and trustworthy?

Thanks

Nice site
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 76 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers