SITE REVIEW: IsMyWebsite

• Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone... I'm launching this service in March. I have the front of the site all ready for public viewing, particularly wondering what you think of:

1) Setup
What do you think of my ideas for the host and the way the site is organized?

2) Design
Is the site visually appealing?

3) Image
Does my site look professional and trustworthy?

http://www.ismywebsite.com/

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many people are afraid of newsletters and think that they will become spam lists, so having it right at the top might not help your "image".

Add a background image, a repeating pattern of some sort. I would use a faint repeating pattern, in dark grey.

I don't understand the actual purpose of the site, it looks like a confusing free hosting system.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Firefox can't find the server at http://www.ismywebsite.com"

Your site appears to be down...
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

True, it was up when i looked at it though.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) Where should I put the email sugnup and what can I put there instead? Right now that's there as a placeholder for the login menu.

2) I was looking for background on Google Images, and I didn't find anything good. Can you recommend where I might find a good background? And more about what you had in mind.

3) Where does it confuse you? The only unique systems there are:

-You advance through the four account types, each representative of one stage of successful website development(plan, improve, expand, optimize). Each advance is accompanied by a review and feedback period, and gains you access to more tools necessary to complete the next step.

-You can place your own ads
  • privatebox
  • privatebox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Took a wile to ping but otherwise all good.

However I'm not a fan of scrolling, perhaps the information could be spread out.. < - - - - - - - - - - - - >
  • seo.webmaster
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • seo.webmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

keep it up

Azoundria wrote:
Hello everyone... I'm launching this service in March. I have the front of the site all ready for public viewing, particularily wondering what you think of:

1) The Setup

2) The Design (I know it lacks colour but how do I improve it)

3) The Image (It seems a lot of people do not 'trust' my site)

http://www.ismywebsite.com/

Thanks
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Come on everyone, I need constructive criticisms not compliments. I still need to know:

1) Where is the best place to stick the mailing list signup? I can stick it as a sidebar on the front, with the site launch paragraph, maybe at registration? I'm not sure where would get the most notice, and I can't see my site in an untrusting manner the way the average internet surfer can. And this raises another question - what do I put where it is right now as a placeholder?

2) Background images? It was a good suggestion, but I need to know more details of what you had in mind. I can find cement, grey patterns, carpet, metal, etc... but I don't know what would look the best. I want it to look neutral and professional.

3) With the confusion, I see how you were confused by the features. Actually that section was not very good. Too long and a tad confusing. So I created a new one there. Any thoughts:
http://www.ismywebsite.com/features.php

4) As far as spreading the information out, it makes for horizontal scrolling on lower resolution browsers. And for the area on the left, my original design was to have main content in that area, but I make a mistake and ended up with that. I thought it looked great and it appears stable on all browsers so I left it. Which page in particular do you find scrolling annoying on? I think the best solution is to remove unnecessary writing.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll leave the critique of the design to others Azoundria, however I will point out the most glaring problem with your site. It is not immediately obvious on the front page that you are offering free webhosting. I had to read nearly the entire home page before I really figured out that's what you are about. That really has to change drastically if you want to get people's attention.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for pointing that out, as it is something I always seem to forget - the visitor has no idea what the site is until you tell them. I think I fixed it.

I also think I fixed the scrolling problem someone else was talking about by shrinking down the page as well.

More constructive criticisms please?

Edit: Alright... I moved the launchlist to the bottom of the front page with the launch information. I think that leaves the background as the only criticism left unaddressed and I'm still awaiting input on that. So I anxiously await more replies...
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, you need to do something about your site's navigation. The one you have planted next to your banner comes across as an incoherent run-on sentence. I would suggest moving that navigation to the left side, since you have all that white space, and I would also suggest using CSS to jazz-up those links. You could also run your navigation along the bottom of your banner. I suspect that you didn't want to go the conventional route, that's why you placed your navigation where you did - but it doesn't look right. In this particular case, I would go with convention.

I would move your advertisements to the bottom of the page, or maybe to the right, but not below your banner; that whole area in the center should constitute the bulk of your main page and therefore should be used exclusively to describe your intended business.

You need more color and graphics...which you are already aware of. I would also suggest trying out different fonts.

All-in-all, you're moving in the right direction.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) Navigation - I tried the left side and it didn't look good. So I put it on the top under the banner and it looks better than on the side but still not very good. Not sure how to fix the empty area up top although it appears minimized when I ue right align. Any suggestions there?

2) About using CSS I'm not sure exactly what you want me to do with CSS? You want me to use it to format the text? The problem is I want the specific 'Air Brush' font which is only on a handful of PCs. So using images is the best I can think of. Or were you talking about mouseover effects?

3) The advertisements are there because thats where they get the most clicks. Perhaps I could move them below the first paragraph if it makes a difference.

4) I tried out about 40 or 50 fonts to select those ones. And I was thinking about a monitor over on the right beside the main content but I'm not sure what to put on the screen. Any idea?

5) The background - is there any more information?
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

works really well for me. i cant wait for this service to be up and running. i will be one of your first customers! gananteed!
  • gnatik
  • gnatik
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I do like, is simplicity. You do not have too many navigation menus, mixed up with too much colour, and from my perspective that is a good.

Google Adwords right in the middle of the page though are a striking image due to bright blue colour headings, which is probably not the best PR stunt. Why not try using google banners, they could add some colour and not be as obvious.

The add email function should be nearer the top of the page as this is where you get subscribers for further advertising.

I would also suggest putting the menu on the let side as it is more userfriendly in that location. Currently it is stuck in the middle of the page and not quite as obvious as to that it is actaully your navigation menu.

May also include links to About you, Contact Us ... etc.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) With my Google AdSense, would it help to match their colour to the titles of the page? Having Google Ads affects my Page Rank?

2) I just can't seem to please everyone with the email link. At the top people say I am pushing it too much and where it is I am not pushing it enough?

3) Just have to figure out how to make it look good on the left, so I think I will try to move it today seeing as everyone wants it there.

4) You are complimenting me on my simplicity and suggesting I add more suggestions? Or just an 'About' section - I already have Contact? About me or about the site?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*snap, crackle, pop*

Okay when I first went to your site I saw a page that didn't look all that appetizing. You have alot of white space around. Also you have no definite navigation. At first glance it looks like a mailing list that just spams people with webmaster tools. So here is my suggestion. Start out with a simple yet effective webpage layout. Banner on top, navigation on the left below the banner, and the body on the right below the banner. Make the banner have some feeling and color. I would incorporate 'Even Hosting' more into your site so people can see that you are running your service from a professional webhost. Make sure your message is conveyed on the front page. I would suggest making it in your banner and then on your front page make the title in the body of the content something interesting and to the point. Make sure it stands out. Then under that title you can have the main idea behind your service further explain. You have a good start on what you have on that first page. I would suggest that you move your Google ads to the side of your page. Theres no need to make your webpage look likey our forcing people to read your ads and click them. You want them to think that your just trying to give them a service. Don't fill your site with ads that your potential users have to sift through. I love Google ads on places like forums because they change with the content of the page so it usably shows me something I'm interested in and I would like to go look at. I would suggest showing your viewers what you offer right on the front page, meaning the packages. When people see specs of packages it a good indicator to them that this is a webhosting services.

I have made a simple little layout if you want to have a look I can PM it to you. Its just to give you an idea. Also if you need some help with support I would be glad to help out your clients. Just tell me when you get a forum up.
  • gnatik
  • gnatik
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
1) With my Google AdSense, would it help to match their colour to the titles of the page? Having Google Ads affects my Page Rank?

2) I just can't seem to please everyone with the email link. At the top people say I am pushing it too much and where it is I am not pushing it enough?

3) Just have to figure out how to make it look good on the left, so I think I will try to move it today seeing as everyone wants it there.

4) You are complimenting me on my simplicity and suggesting I add more suggestions? Or just an 'About' section - I already have Contact? About me or about the site?

I would say that if you can, definitely try to match Adsense colours and fonts as close as you can to you site, as it will make the make look smooth.

Google Ads do not affect your page rank.

I think simplicity works well, but just integrate Adsense more into the body of the page so it does not stand out so much. Have a nice left menu, and I guess the location of the e-mail does not really matter (depends how important it is to you)
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) I'm not quite getting what you're saying regarding the layout so maybe just PM me a visual of what you had in mind.

2) The features on the front, sure. But where should they go?

3) You are interested in being a reviewer? I was thinking it would be like email correspondance with the webmaster, but maybe routing it through the forum would be cool. Anyways I've still got a month to think this over.

4) The Google Ads - Gnatik you said they affect my PR? What is PR? I thought it was page rank. I modified the colour of AdSense.

Thanks for the reviews everyone!
  • mackero22
  • mackero22

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like your web
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

mackero22 wrote:
I don't like your web

I don't like your review
  • solaris
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
mackero22 wrote:
I don't like your web

I don't like your review

roflmao
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like the text at all. The blue on the white background is REALLY over bearing for me on my LCD monitor. I really can't stand the black text either. As A designer I think it looks alot clearer if a clean font like arial or verdana is used, but thats just my opinion. You need to make the website more inviting and vivid, your offering a good service, but the website does not really do it an justice.

Sorry if I sounded abit harsh! :)
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I modified the front page. Changed main font to Arial and titles to Verdana.

I'm trying to eliminate the whitespace following the titles(see my topic in Web Design if you have an answer) and other than that am wondering what everyone thinks of the new design.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found it kind of confusing at some stages. Because didn't IsMyWebsite use to be some kind of search and browse website? Also, you haven't really provided what kind of domain you get for signing up. Do you get http://www.YOURWEBSITE.ismywebsite.com, http://www.ismywebsite.com/YOURWEBSITE/, etc.

Also, I couldn't really figure out which was the homepage. Because the hosting plan is on the frontpage and I thought I was on a different page. Usually you WOULD start the website with some text so we know what it is about. I like the design however and the ideas.

Good work :thumbsup:
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you hover your cursor over the 'subdomain' feature on the features list it explains that you get yourchoice.ismywebsite.com, which is the only form of subdomain I know of.

I have rearranged the front page to have the text before the features.

Also, I am now implementing a new layout provided to me by SpooF. I have it temporarily hosted on Geocities to transfer it to my home computer where it is then uploaded. In the meantime, does anyone notice any problems with the new site in any browsers. Or any suggestions you have?

http://www.geocities.com/ismywebsite
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could see some people not liking your way of using the Google ads. They seem to look to much like links on your site. I haven't read Google ToS but you might want to review them. I know there is something in there about tricking people to click. Putting images next to the links is one way people have done this.

But over all looks awesome ;)
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The way I see it a Google Link Ad is basically a bunch of links to related services. Anyone interested in clicking those links would deliver the advertiser his desired audience. It shouldn't matter if the site is a paid advertisement or an affiliate site if the visitor is interested in clicking it.

The real question is, why do people have such a fear of clicking advertisements. Popups I can understand but Google Ads?

I see it messed up in Firefox a bit from what it showed in IE and I have no gaps between menus. So I'll have to fix this. So I'll have to fix this and other than that I should get around to uploading tommorrow.
  • Snoop1000
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Snoop1000

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your website looks sort of basic. There is too much white. Your layout is good, but it's just the colours. Make your navigation stand out a little more, and please remove them ads from the top of your web page. One more thing. Your website needs a title!

Snoop1000
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like I said but no one is listening, the layout is in the process of being changed to the following:

http://www.geocities.com/ismywebsite

So all of your review referred to the layout, except for the title - which I shall fix.
  • Snoop1000
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Snoop1000

Post 3+ Months Ago

The new layout is a massive improvement. It looks more stylish, modern and classy. The navigation stands out more, and the logo looks excellent. Nice job.

Snoop1000
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 76 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers