http://tool.iwebtool.com/rank

HTML coders;
http://category.iwebtool.com/html
  • aboyd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I mouse over your 4 major navigation buttons (the green, yellow, red, blue boxes), the cursor doesn't change to a hand. So imagine my surprise when I clicked and it actually worked. If you're gonna have a link, it oughta work like a link.

Your anonymous emailer tool will be used by a spammer quite soon, I predict. Your server will be responsible for sending out a million or so emails, and you'll be in hot water with your host. You could add a CAPTCHA, or limit it to 1 submission per IP address per hour, or something to protect yourself.

Your encryption tool is actually just an encoding tool. Encrypting and encoding are very different. Basically, encrypted stuff is going to be hard to get at, but encoded stuff is very easy. That's oversimplified.

Your pages appear right-aligned in Mozilla. For example, the breadcrumb trail is way over to the right. That's odd.

Your link popularity tool is useful. However, it said my 10 year old site, with a Google page rank of 5 was "probably new to the internet." That's inaccurate.

Anyway, good luck with the site. It looks like a great start. Keep improving.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great looking site, good use of colors and nicely spaced content. Lets dive right into it then. You're probably going to think I'm a nut, but one of the first things I noticed was the little things, like the way you say the word "web tools". In your logo at the top, you say "webtools" and in the larger image below with the man, you say "Web tools". I think you need to modify the logo so that web tools is 2 different words, not one. Its the correct way. Also, although "Favourites" is correct, most sites I've seen are American'ized and say "Favorites", no 'u'. So maybe modify that "Add to Favorites" link text. Again, its the little things that count too.

I think your menu could really do with some mouse over effects, maybe changing the background to a lighter shade when you rollover them. At quick glance, it looks like you're using the google color scheme (blue, reg, gold, green), but its a slight modification of those colors, so its not so much copying it. It also appears that you're using javascript to hide the link of menu items from appearing in the location bar at the bottom. I've never been a fan of that, it helps users navigate the site and let them know that the link they're clicking wont take them to some other site. One last suggestion for the index, the title "Frequent Used Tools" should more appropriately be "Frequently Used Tools".

As mentioned in the previous post, your content seems align to the right on some page. I'm currently at Domain Availability. I think it would look a lot better centred, if not left aligned. Btw, the visual appearance of what I've seen following the Web Tools content is great. You've done a great job creating a relaxed and professional feel throughout the whole process. Definitely have to commend you on that.

The search menu item was a bit of a turn off. I was expecting an elaborate search mechanism, but instead there's no content, only instructions to use the search feature at the top of the site. Are you going to make future modifications to add a search feature to this section? Or is it always going to point to the search feature at the top? Because if you keep it as is, there's no point in having a search section, just put in a link to something else instead. Maybe create a bigger about section and use that instead.

The contact section looks great. Overall I'd have to say its an impressive site. Professional, informative, useful, very good overall. Your navigation is awesome, there's nothing more comforting than knowing where you are on a website at all times, you did a great job with that. As for your code, you seem to have forgotten the meta keywords tag, definitely should tack that on. Try and put your css and javascript into seperate files and reference them into your code, looks neater and saves nanoseconds of load up time. You also include a script outside of the <head> tag, should place it within. You should also get your code validate by w3.org (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iwebtool.com%2F), you have a few corrections that need to be addressed. Most of it is just alt tags for your images and including a doctype. Great effort, your site should do well.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Also, although "Favourites" is correct, most sites I've seen are American'ized and say "Favorites", no 'u'. So maybe modify that "Add to Favorites" link text.

I dont mean you any offense Daremedy but I think its fine. You should be proud to be Canadian. Also its called bookmarks on firefox so maybe say favourites/bookmarks.

Hey! I just discovered the links at the top of your page are links. I had no clue before. No mouse over. No cursor change. Nothing. Get rid of that doggone javascript hide URL thing. If you do do mouse over you should make them light up.

About the search section: Why include it when it just tells people they can search at the top? Perhaps include a links section instead?

I can say I cant find anything else and thats good. Your site design looks great and all. Looks like most of my suggesdtions are already covered so Im just adding encouragement to do them.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
I dont mean you any offense Daremedy but I think its fine. You should be proud to be Canadian. Also its called bookmarks on firefox so maybe say favourites/bookmarks.

No offense taken. I still write favourites and colour and all the other words that we Canadians use. But in terms of the web, I'm used to American'izing certain words, such as color. When you do your html code and, for example, you have to use the "bgcolor=....." attribute, you cant say "bgcolour=.....", it wont work. So I've since learned to keep the language standard throughout. Rest assured, just like Molson says, I am Canadian, and proud to be one!
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well with coding you have to but with content no worries.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I keep getting errors on some of your pages.

Warning: mysql_pconnect(): User iwebtool_webtool has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/iwebtool/public_html/db.php on line 3
cant connect

And....

Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Link to server lost, unable to reconnect in /home/iwebtool/public_html/db.php on line 3
cant connect

Those are both on the anon. emailer.
  • kenni
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • kenni

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce, kind of a late reply i soppose but should be working now
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Way to address all that feedback you've received kenni. :iconthumbleft: I can only hope the great reviews you got were not wasted on a spammer.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be way better if the buttons change when I put my cursor over it. But, otherwise... I like the theme and all. Great website, and keep up the good work!
  • davidfunk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this is a cool site, especially the view source code thing, that is really cool. someone obviously put a lot of time and effort into this site. layout is clean, cool colors, looks very professional. In my opinion, a very good site. Going into my Favorites.
  • voxunity
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • voxunity

Post 3+ Months Ago

The web site looks really good though.
  • Danky
  • Danky

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, It's good.
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank god!

Finally a homepage that I like. Nice colours, layout and simplicity. Very nice.

Umm, many of the back pages though look unfinished? Also theres a big nasty gap to the left? Whats with that?

The backpages look empty man. Why not carry that nice big colour image you have on the homepage through to the backpages?

RJ
  • kenni
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • kenni

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the comments.

Any more would be appreciated greatly
  • jmweb
  • Student
  • Student
  • jmweb
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice site but the name iWeb is copyrighted.

<---- investor

I like the rank checker but you need more in it. I.E. tips on improving the rank :)

I especially like the encrypt code portion.
  • kenni
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • kenni

Post 3+ Months Ago

jmweb wrote:
I like the rank checker but you need more in it. I.E. tips on improving the rank :)

I did add some sort of tips. http://tool.iwebtool.com/rank

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers